Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I found a TSB on this, I had the dealer look it up, it said order a new display unit. They ordered the display unit, the order was canceled and a stick was sent to them instead. This was around September '18 if I remember right. I started having more issues than just dimming, AirPlay was disconnecting and required a reboot of the phone and the display to operate again. The backup camera crashed and went offline once for a few hours. And I had the whole unit lock up once during a camera crash, took about six hours for it to recover on it's own - was unable to reboot it with the knob.

I have a '17 Touring, probably the first once the dealer delivered.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I made an online appointment with my local dealer. In the appointment details, I posted the issue and everything that I did to try to fix it (reboot of head unit, factory reset, disconnect battery, brightness adjustment on gauge cluster, and brightness adjustment on head unit). Then when I took it into the dealer, I demonstrated the issue to the service rep, and he agreed there was a problem.

After that, the dealer contacted the Honda engineering support. Honda engineering then had to reply to the dealer and put them in touch with the head unit manufacturer (Panasonic?). Then, if I understand it correctly, the head unit manufacturer had to verify that my head unit could accept a flash update (some apparently cannot). If it couldn't accept the update, then they would have had to order a replacement. Once they confirmed with the head unit manufacturer, then they had to ship the flash drive to the dealer. All in all, it took about a week to resolve. My dealer offered a loaner car, but I just picked up my own car, and they left the paperwork open until the issue was resolved. The dealer indicated that they tested the flash update on another vehicle before doing it to mine, and also said that they had seen another instance of the same issue after I reported mine.

Although it took a week, I was very happy with my dealer's response to the issue (and of course it was covered under warranty). Just before I took it in, I also received the notification of the update required for my vehicle (for the gas in oil issue), and they installed that at the same time. That issue they handled the first day. When the head unit update arrived, it took them about an hour to install.
I have a feeling I am going to need to contact Honda tech support and escalate it to tier 2 support to get this taken care of.

I wonder if we have the same dealership... Tell them to order a new head unit then. Honda will put a stop on the order and tell them to call and talk to the tech line. it's taking two weeks longer for me than it should, and two extra phone calls pushing the dealership to pay attention, however I'm getting the update Thursday.

I'm not 100% sure it's a true update, I wonder if it's some sort of script that resets an internal setting that gets out of whack. I'll double check mine but I don't think the software version iterates at all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The dealership I am dealing with is in Phillipsburg, NJ. They have been helpful, but I feel like more can be done if others that have had this issue had it fixed within a week and I am at a month and 10 days now waiting for the update.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wonder if we have the same dealership... Tell them to order a new head unit then. Honda will put a stop on the order and tell them to call and talk to the tech line. it's taking two weeks longer for me than it should, and two extra phone calls pushing the dealership to pay attention, however I'm getting the update Thursday.

I'm not 100% sure it's a true update, I wonder if it's some sort of script that resets an internal setting that gets out of whack. I'll double check mine but I don't think the software version iterates at all.

They already did put the order in for a new unit, and the order was cancelled, and I was told by someone at the dealership in Phillipsburg that the district manager is aware of the issue and a software update can be applied, but when I ask when the update will be available they have no idea...

·
Registered
835 Posts
They already did put the order in for a new unit, and the order was cancelled, and I was told by someone at the dealership in Phillipsburg that the district manager is aware of the issue and a software update can be applied, but when I ask when the update will be available they have no idea...
Get Honda involved, and consider switching dealerships! If they can't follow simple diagnostic procedures there is a problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get Honda involved, and consider switching dealerships! If they can't follow simple diagnostic procedures there is a problem.

I just got off the phone with tier 2 tech info line about speaking with a case manager regarding this issue, hopefully this lights a fire under someone’s you know what to get this issue taken care of.

I think the thing that bothers me is that others have posted they’ve gotten the issue fixed relatively quickly and I’ve been trying to get this fixed since the beginning of December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the thing that bothers me is that others have posted they’ve gotten the issue fixed relatively quickly and I’ve been trying to get this fixed since the beginning of December.
It took me about nine months to get mine repaired. It wasn't until I pulled the TSB number that they did anything, which was order a replacement display unit which ended up with a USB stick being delivered instead.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It took me about nine months to get mine repaired. It wasn't until I pulled the TSB number that they did anything, which was order a replacement display unit which ended up with a USB stick being delivered instead.
Is there an actual tsb number for it? Or just that service news thing that was posted earlier in this thread?

·
Registered
58 Posts
No tsb, just the service news article.

Jesus they need to get their act together if one person gets it done in a week and someone else is waiting 9 months. Unreal that there hasn’t been an actual TSB put out for this issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't exactly remember what it is that I found but I found it on the forums here. Had the dealer search on the keywords and their system told them exactly what to do.

And it said there was currently no software fix, but to order a replacement unit. They ordered the unit, Honda canceled the order and sent the software instead. Until they did this, Honda Techline had really no answers to this problem, other than swap out the unit from another car in inventory. I don't doubt that they are still not giving the right answers since others are still having issues.

I bet there's a high failure rate on the software update, or something else going on. Bricking a unit is not ideal. They wouldn't be so evasive for no good reason.

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Replaced Head Unit

I took the CRV to another dealer and showed the Article to the Service Advisor. He ordered a new head unit for me. Got it installed yesterday. See the invoice below for part numbers/details. I think the fix via USB update vs Head Unit Replacement varies by the manufacturing plant. Mine was manufactured in E.LIBERTY OHIO. The part 39101-TLA-A61RM shows incompatible for cars made in INDIANA. This part retails for $390, I am seriously considering getting Honda Care extended warranty now.

EPSON440.jpg

·
Registered
835 Posts
I took the CRV to another dealer and showed the Article to the Service Advisor. He ordered a new head unit for me. Got it installed yesterday. See the invoice below for part numbers/details. I think the fix via USB update vs Head Unit Replacement varies by the manufacturing plant. Mine was manufactured in E.LIBERTY OHIO. The part 39101-TLA-A61RM shows incompatible for cars made in INDIANA. This part retails for $390, I am seriously considering getting Honda Care extended warranty now.
Thanks! Mine was made in Indiana and I got the USB update. Great info.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My CR-V Touring was built in E. Liberty, Ohio, and the dealer was supplied with the USB update for my unit. Took nine months, but it eventually was fixed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nine months, WOW. Lousy customer service to say the least.
I feel like I’m going to be in the 9 month boat. I have an appointment with a different dealership this coming Wednesday for state inspection/emissions and I printed out the service news bulletin to show them. I am also going to print the service invoice from this thread to show them as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am so glad I found this site, but facing the same issue as the rest of you. I took my 2017 CR-V into my dealer this past Thursday and got it back yesterday...with no fix. They had to update something with the navigation (maps not loaded) and that worked, but they did nothing with the dimming issue.

I specifically gave them this thread and a screenshot of the service bulletin. Support lead said the "tech" at the dealership indicated the problem was not aligned to the range of my VIN. I asked him if he researched the Service Bulletin and he said Honda indicated that there is no fix for this item. I indicated that the bulletin said to order new head unit and then go from there. Said there was not much he could since Honda indicated there was no fix. He said just wait until they fix it (if enough owners indicate this is a true problem). I asked if I would be notified about any fixes and he said he didn't know how that worked. I found this to be somewhat unbelievable, especially from a dealership with one of the highest ratings in the Chicagoland area.

I'm trying to get a hold of Honda customer service to see if they can get involved and do something. Any other ideas as to how to push this forward?

·
Registered
180 Posts
They finally replaced my unit yesterday for the non-dimming problem. I had to pay $15 to Sirius XM to transfer the service to the new unit, but whatever. I’m happy it works properly now.

·
Registered
835 Posts
They finally replaced my unit yesterday for the non-dimming problem. I had to pay $15 to Sirius XM to transfer the service to the new unit, but whatever. I’m happy it works properly now.
Great news!

Sirius XM is in shambles... You can cancel your service, wait a month and you'll start getting offers at like 40% discount. I've done this twice now on two different cars. Highly recommend taking this approach.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 124 Posts