Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have any ambient lighting on the door handles or in the footwells,.Can somebody tell me how to turn this on.

·
Registered
730 Posts
People have posted that it's not very bright, just subtle lighting. You may need to look closer at night, you can't turn it on or off, it's just always on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wouldn't have noticed it unless looking for it. Very dim compared to my Audi.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just checked my Touring in the dark garage - I cannot find a foot well light. All I get is the map lights illuminating the foot well on both sides.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did the same thing and couldn't find them. At first. (I had paid extra for installation when I bought the car because even the salesman didn't know they were already there in the Touring.) BUT, in the garage, the overhead lights are so bright, you don't need them. So I don't think they are on at all when you are in the garage. I think they are for driving. You need to go out driving at night. Then look down at the footwells or put your had just under the dash and see a dim light shining on your pants leg. Very dim, but there. There are slightly brighter lights in the inside door handles. And a very very dim light in the ceiling in just in front of the center rear view mirror. I assume the theory is that you want the lights very dim while you are driving to not bother the driver. Not sure if there is a control to make them brighter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Footwell light? Is that for spotting angry garden Gnomes.
No, the good tasting stuff is from the Artisian Well. The footwell brew tastes like it came from a well stuffed with dirty socks, and Footwell light has half the calories, but all the alcohol and all the gymn sock taste.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The interior foot well lights on the Touring are some of the dimmest lights I have seen in a modern vehicle, I didn't even know they were there! Ill be upgrading mine with something better soon.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The interior foot well lights on the Touring are some of the dimmest lights I have seen in a modern vehicle, I didn't even know they were there! Ill be upgrading mine with something better soon.
My boss rented a 2016 Chevy Suburban LT a while back and noticed that it had a very similar dim light in the driver and front passenger foot well. You could hardly see it on the floor, but was more noticeable on the lower part of my pants. IMO, its a nice little touch without being distracting at night. As for the CR-V, I thought I remember reading another post on this forum where someone mentioned there was also a dim light in the center console on his 2017 CR-V Touring. Is this true?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I investigated the LED footwell lighting and saw that the piece which Honda used to attach the LED light to the panel under the footwell is solid white - the entire piece is one mold and it has no transparency. No wonder the LED light is not getting through!

This is the clip that holds the led which light is SUPPOSED to shine through?!? Almost wonder if the middle was meant to be drilled out so...

led_clip_top.jpg
led_clip_underside.jpg

I drilled out the hole so now the LED can shine bright through it.
led_clip_under_drilled.jpg
clip_drilled_out.jpg

Reattached clip to led
clip_reattached.jpg

Now have nice soft white lit footwell, not too bright but closer to what I was used to in my Focus ST's ambient footwell lighting. Makes it a lot easier to find things that get dropped down there.
lit_footwell.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are the clips hard to get out to do the drilling?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are the clips hard to get out to do the drilling?
I haven't done the passengers side yet under the glove box (got too dark), but the drivers side took less than a minute to take out. Very easy if you have any mechanical aptitude at all (no tools needed to take it out, everything just clips/snaps out).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I investigated the LED footwell lighting and saw that the piece which Honda used to attach the LED light to the panel under the footwell is solid white - the entire piece is one mold and it has no transparency. No wonder the LED light is not getting through!

This is the clip that holds the led which light is SUPPOSED to shine through?!? Almost wonder if the middle was meant to be drilled out so...
I'm pretty sure that cover was intentional. As I've said in a prior post on this thread, Chevy also has this for some of their vehicles like the Suburban. I think the soft white light in the footwell is what car manufactures like Chevy and Honda are looking for to add a luxury touch to the interior.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would agree a nice soft white light works nice in a luxury, but with that cover on it is basically no light at all, and the little light that gets through looks more yellowish. It looks like an old almost burnt out filiment bulb,, dim and tacky, not soft white.. For me it's much better with the hole drilled in it, nice soft white LED. From a practical standpoint with the cover on it's basically useless, it only lights up something if you put your hand two inches from it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would agree a nice soft white light works nice in a luxury, but with that cover on it is basically no light at all, and the little light that gets through looks more yellowish. It looks like an old almost burnt out filiment bulb,, dim and tacky, not soft white.. For me it's much better with the hole drilled in it, nice soft white LED. From a practical standpoint with the cover on it's basically useless, it only lights up something if you put your hand two inches from it.
Hmm, interesting. Is it possible to change out the LED with a brighter one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No need to change the LED bulb.
It has enough glow for the footwell.
If you drill it out with a smaller bit and leave a shoulder you can insert a color filter.
I used a red translucent candy wrapper to have a red glow.
I also did a blue from a vitamin bottle just messing around.
It does not take much plastic to cover the bulb.
7up bottle will give you green and so forth.
Easy to do if you have the time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just did my driver's side - easy, peasy. Used a 3/16 drill bit. Will test tonight when it's dark.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just checked my Touring in the dark garage

Canadian Touring Models only have ambient Light in the door handles- not bright and useless I would say.
NO footwell light
Weird that the Canadian model would remove the foot well ambient lighting on the Touring trim. After discussing this topic with others on the forum and looking through the parts catalog for the USDM CR-V Touring, it has been confirmed that there is ambient lighting for the front foot wells, front door handles and an ambient light inside of the center console storage compartment.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts