Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I am considering two trims touring or the exl. Based on comparisons it appears touring has alloy wheels (don't know what are benefits of these), better sound system (don't care), hands free tailgate (won't need that much) and navigation (we have waze for that). When I went on a test drive sales lady said touring is all about lifestyle. Are there any EXL owners who wished they had both touring for features not listed above. Also are there touring owners who wished they should have spent little bit less and got EXL ?

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
Great question, as both trim levels are very well featured.

The Touring Trim adds the following over the EXL
  • Hands-Free Access Power Tailgate
  • LED Headlights with Auto-On/Off
  • Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers
  • Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System
  • Roof Rails
  • 330-Watt Premium Audio System with 9 Speakers
  • Dual Chrome Exhaust Finishers
I went for the Touring trim level, mainly for the LED Headlights, rain sensing wipers, roof rails, and built in Navigation. LED headlights are fantastic for night time illumination, especially for older eyes like mine. I don't typically pair my phone with the car, so having navigation built in native on the Touring was a plus for me (and Honda gives you 5 years of free map updates). The NAV system works really well in my experience.. though some buttons and options are locked if the car is moving.. so you need to be at a full stop to set up destination points and a few other things.. .but this is for safety.. so again I am fine with it.

By the way... the LED lamp assemblies are quite expensive to replace due to collision, etc (close to $1K each), so they are not something to lightly decide to add later on an EXL.

I rarely use the hands-free power tailgate, but it's there if I need it. Same for the premium audio system.. since I never crank it up over about 15 on the volume setting.... but it does include a sub-woofer in the cargo area (though in my view that is not the best location for it). Some owners think the sound systems in the upper trim levels suck... but I am fine with the configuration on the Touring.

Roof rails are easily added to the EXL if that is something you want.

Chrome exhaust finishers are a nice trim touch, but totally cosmetic. Not sure you can easily add them to the EXL.. as the tail pipe is a bit different between the two trims (even without the chrome finishers).

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The EX-L also has alloys; the only difference is that the background color is dark grey instead of black. The wheels are otherwise identical. The Touring also comes with the roof rails, some chrome trim bits, and a nicer-looking exhaust.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Based on comparisons it appears touring has alloy wheels (don't know what are benefits of these), better sound system (don't care), hands free tailgate (won't need that much) and navigation (we have waze for that).
As sirwired mentioned, the EX-L also has alloy wheels, just a different style.
If you don't care about the better sound system, hands free tailgate, or navigation system then save yourself some money and get the EX-L.

Do you know how you tell that a sales person is lying? Their lips are moving.
The sales person is going to say whatever they can to get you to buy the most expensive vehicle they can sell you, because the commissions they earn are based on the price of what they are selling you.

Personally I don't like leather seats, which is why I own an EX.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
The EX-L also has alloys; the only difference is that the background color is dark grey instead of black. The wheels are otherwise identical. The Touring also comes with the roof rails, some chrome trim bits, and a nicer-looking exhaust.
Don't all trim levels in the US have alloy wheels on the gen5? I seem to recall even the LX is sold now with alloy wheels.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm glad I went with the Touring. The audio system, navigation, and rain sensing wipers are nice. I've never used the hands free liftgate or roof rails and couldn't care less about the exhaust. The LED headlights are must haves though and don't think I'll ever be able to go back to halogens.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
135 Posts
We picked the touring mostly for the LED headlights and just the general look of the car with the extra chrome and exhaust pipes. You can swap the headlight bulb with an LED one but I'd look over the threads here as it takes some trial and error to find the right bulbs and at the end it still may not be as good/work as well. The feature we ended up using the most is the tailgate - we love it and it's amazing how cool it is when you realize you can use both hands for stuff when approaching the car but that of course depends on your situation.

If you do go EX/L, don't discount the navigation option - it's garmin and one of the best we've ever used across a dozen different cars. The integration with the dash and the fact that it just works and is super user friendly means we've stopped using our phones. I've also been very impressed at how quickly it detects and reacts to traffic conditions.

Also don't forget that the touring gets some extra interior lights (foot area and door handles) which aren't in EX. I wonder how an Elite level CRV would look like.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Personally I don't like leather seats, which is why I own an EX.
Are there Alcantara seats available for the CR-V in NA? They’re much better than full leather, cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter and easily cleanable like leather seats.

·
Registered
85 Posts
-Sound system on the EXL is acceptable, not great. We have a baby so we keep the audio low anyways so we dont care too much
-The projectors on the EXL headlight is fantastic. Throw in some HIDS in there and you wont believe how clear and bright they are. HIDS > LEDS
- I wish my exl had running boards. Helpful for shorter people and kids to climb into the car. This is the only thing i wish my EXL had.

Dont care for rain sensing wipers, dual exhaust finishers, navi and roof rails

·
Registered
58 Posts
We were on the fence about Touring or EX-L. Ended up going with the EX-L, and we don't regret it for a moment. The main thing I wanted on the Touring was the LEDs, but I put in some LEDs for less than $100, and it's awesome. I would like the rain-sensing wipers too, but they aren't a deal-breaker. Sound system is nice, but honestly, factory systems are all pretty trash anyway. Take a look at the size of the "subwoofer," and you'll probably agree. Never really missed the hands-free tailgate. The remote is good enough.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Are there Alcantara seats available for the CR-V in NA?
I did some searching, and found a couple of sites that said they sold Alacantra seat covers. But the only ones I found for a Honda CR-V were for 2004 and earlier.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Can you get heated leather seats on any trim level other than Touring?
According to automobiles.honda.com heated front seats are available on EX, EX-L, and Touring
EX-L and Touring models come with leather trimmed seats.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have never went below EX-L. I have Touring now and doubt I will get anything less than Touring if I buy another Honda. Don’t buy something and then regret it, just go big or go home kinda thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wanted an exl white on black inside but the dealer didnt have it. The dealer really wanted my truck so the gave me the touring for the same price as the exl. The touring is nice but I was expecting more for the touring like cooled seat, folded mirrors, auto dimming side mirrors, better sound system. Over all I am happy with touring. I use the hands free tailgate quite often due to having a baby stroller. The led are nice at night and I also replace fog lights with led. The touring have quite a bit of body roll while on turn, but it might differ from one person to another. I replace the rear sway bar with a sifter one and i am much happier now. GPS is nice since I dont have to hook anything up to my phone. Auto wipers works, it's not bad. Sounds system is ok. Coming from JBL from truck and martin logan at home. If you really dont need all that and just want a daily car where you know where your going most of the time, I think exl is not a bad option.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm disappointed with the rain-sensing wipers. Many times they don't swipe as often as I'd like, even on max sensitivity, and I'm forced to go to Lo speed to see clearly, as there's no variable intermittent mode to fall back on. Given the short-comings of rain-sensing, I'd rather have variable intermittent.

In Canada you get a panoramic sunroof with the Touring.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I'm disappointed with the rain-sensing wipers. Many times they don't swipe as often as I'd like, even on max sensitivity, and I'm forced to go to Lo speed to see clearly, as there's no variable intermittent mode to fall back on. Given the short-comings of rain-sensing, I'd rather have variable intermittent.

In Canada you get a panoramic sunroof with the Touring.
The variable wiping feature is actually on the rain sensor wiper setting. You just put the wipers into auto mode and then adjust the rotating lever on the wiper handle to adjust the rate of response. The range on it is pretty good too, so no complaints.

The only issue I ever had with the rain sensor wipers is when at a stop under a roof (like a fast food order window), if water falls off the roof onto the sensor.. it goes into overdrive to try to clear the water. I had this happen once and the wipers went to full speed and swiped the water right into the order window and the order takers face. o_O From that I learned to turn the wipers off when at an order window, as a courtesy to the person on the other side of the order window. :p

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm glad I went with the Touring. The audio system, navigation, and rain sensing wipers are nice. I've never used the hands free liftgate or roof rails and couldn't care less about the exhaust. The LED headlights are must haves though and don't think I'll ever be able to go back to halogens.
Having lost a '16 Pilot to a deer at 1:00 AM (I was going less than 25 in a 45 MPH zone) the Touring's LED's sold me.

They are superior.

The Navigation is EXCELLENT - early in our ownership we were in the Twin Cities and the Navi split into two screens to show:

1) The highway
and
2) The exit overview

My wife asked 'how did you do that?'

It really is excellent.

I have also used the hands free hatch opening hundreds of times...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts