Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2015 CRV with the CVT transmission. I would like to pull a trailer with a Honda side by side UTV with a total weight of 1500 to 1600 pounds including the trailer. I understand the towing capacity is 1500 pounds but wondered if anyone has experience pulling this weight or more with the CVT transmission and what there experience was? I would be towing it only once or twice a year for about 150 miles each direction in WI on almost completely flat roads.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just got back from my first towing trip with my 2015 CRV Touring. I towed two large scooters across I-70 from KC to St Louis. Total weight of the trailer and bikes is around 1,200 lbs. We previously had a 2007 Element and got around 19 mpg when towing this same setup. Friday's trip to St Louis was in heavy traffic. The adaptive cruise made the trip almost erratic with either full acceleration or pacing behind other vehicles. Even the shortest distance setting leaves enough space for another car to cut in front. We got around 19 using the cruise. I stopped using the cruise and got the mileage up to 22.5 as I limited the full throttle acceleration. Sunday's lighter traffic made the drive less frustrating and we got 22 with the cruise on. We usually get 31 on the highway when not towing.

The CRV with CVT handled the weight better than the Element with 5spd auto did. The CRV accelerated fine in traffic. Surprisingly, I think the Element's lack of aerodynamics actually made the bikes easier to tow. The trailer did get pushed around when we were passing a semi more than it did with the Element.

I think the CRV will handle 1,500 lbs pretty well.

CRV Towing Scooters.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I kind of have to agree with you on that. We towed a golf cart on a trailer a few weeks ago with our new 2015 CRV and I was pretty impressed with it. The trailer is about #600, and the golf cart weighs about 700#, and we had about 100# or so misc stuff in the trailer with it. What really impressed me most was how well the car managed it. I didn't have the weight balanced very well on the trailer, so it wagged more than I am comfortable with. Surprisingly, I noticed it in the mirror long before I felt it in the car. We were on a back road most of the time going 55 +/-5. We averaged about 24 for the length of the trip. I will say that we did turn off "Eco" mode. With "eco" mode on, the car seemed to struggle with any kind of hills. When towing, we turn off "Eco" mode because it doesn't seem like it has to work as hard.

We've also used it to tow the jetski's from time to time too.

To be honest, I'm kind of impressed with this "little engine that could".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm searching for the same answer. We were told we shouldn't put a hitch on the 2017 CR-V with the cvt. Why would they spec it as a 1500 lb towing SUV? We would be towing yard waste for two miles maybe three times a year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Who told you not to put a hitch on the 2017? I just got a 2017 EX and I was planning to install a DrawTite hitch. Our future plans include adding a bike rack and a trailer to haul our motorcycles. I don't think the bike rack is much of an issue, but the motorcycles will put us right at 1500 pounds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts