Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weidnerl
Registered

Joined a moment ago
1 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 a moment ago
Edit
I'm in the market for a Honda CRV. I will be towing a boat that weighs in at 1500lb or so. The CRV had a 5 speed Automatic up to 2014. After that it has a CV type trans. Is the CV trans up to the task of towing 1500lbs or am I better with the 5 speed automatic? TIA

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The maximum recommended towing weight is 1,500 lbs, which would include your trailer, boat, engine, and whatever gear you put inside the boat before heading out.
And Honda also recommends that if you're towing more than 1,000 lbs your trailer should have trailer brakes.

The weight has nothing to do with the type of transmission, although 2001 and earlier CR-Vs were only rated for a maximum of 1,000 lbs.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Towing whatever that weighs 1500 lbs, “or so”, is basically saying I will be towing the maximum weight the CRV is rated for.....PLUS I’m not sure how much more.

From what I understand, an auxiliary tranny cooler can be added to the 5 speed auto much easier than to the CVT.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Towing whatever that weighs 1500 lbs, “or so”, is basically saying I will be towing the maximum weight the CRV is rated for.....PLUS I’m not sure how much more.

From what I understand, an auxiliary tranny cooler can be added to the 5 speed auto much easier than to the CVT.

I have a 2014 LX AWD and I have towed a small boat from Texas to Michigan and back each year as well as around Texas and have had zero transmission issues. It knocks about 8 mpg ogg my highway milage running 65mph on cruise.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Awesome.........what does your towed load weigh???? How hot does the tranny run? How often do you change the tranny fluid? Do you have a auxiliary tranny cooler installed? I've seen our CVT at 229F not towing:eek:, others have reported even hotter.:eek::eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Awesome.........what does your towed load weigh???? How hot does the tranny run? How often do you change the tranny fluid? Do you have a auxiliary tranny cooler installed? I've seen our CVT at 229F not towing:eek:, others have reported even hotter.:eek::eek:
Boat and trailer and stuff ready to put in the water 1200 pounds. Tranny has never gotten hot even in the Texas summer. Everything is stock, I do have the dealer installed tow package. I just did my tranny fluid for the 3rd time so every 90k.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
(y) Does the tow package include a auxiliary cooler? Any idea what the tranny fluid temp is when towing?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Weidnerl.

My wife has 2014 CRV (with 5 gear auto tranny) with 3rd party trailer hitch and 3rd party wiring plug. I've towed an empty 4x6 utility trailer with ease. So, it can tow stuff up to 1,000 lbs. Anything more, we use our other vehicle - which has a V6 Engine / rated to pull up to 3,800 lbs. Being a 2014 (and wanting to keep it for 5+ more years), I don't want to pull more than 1,000 lbs with our CRV. Especially on sloped boat ramps - where FWD traction does matter as well...

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I would not advise pushing the limits of CVT transmissions. They are still not as strong or reliable as standard automatics.

I have a 2003 with oversized all terrain tires and towed 1500lbs more times than I care to count. With 230k miles I towed our trailer 3x loaded at least 1000lbs (last load was likely well over 1500lbs as it had our plow tractor and everything else that could get crammed on the trailer and inside my V) from northwestern illinois to st louis Missouri. Gas mileage was bad, I did take propeller shaft out for the last 2 loads.

But I also have a 8 x 12 stacked plate trans cooler installed.

This was 6 months ago, did a full fluid exchange (3x drain and fill) couple months ago and fluid was still perfect.

CRV is capable of more than its given credit for and will put up with a lot if you arent lazy and cheap about maintenance. Change fluid regularly never letting it really look dirty, use good oil etc and I'm almost 245k now and still great.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts