Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here...Hi!

My husband and I have a 2009 2WD Automatic LX CR-V. We want to buy a Fleetwood Cobalt pop up camper since it is one of the lightest pop ups you can get and under the max. towing weight of 1500 lbs. We are trying to figure out what all of the different weights mean and how much exactly we can tow, and are getting super confused. So can someone who knows this stuff tell us if this is safe to tow?

Thanks so much!

Here are the Cobalt specs:

Yellow Text Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'm not a good example to use, nor can I answer your question correctly, but I used to tow my 1,500 lb trailer, fully loaded, plus 3 people & a dog in my 2000 CRV, which only had a 1,000 lb max towing capacity.

Honda keeps it's towing capacity on the low side to be safer than sorry, but I never had any issues towing my trailer, and in the 11 years of ownership, I never had a Brake issue, Engine or Transmission problems.

I ended up using a 2" drop on the hitch (ball), so that it sat level.

Best of luck, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So Here's the math you're looking for:
Your CR-V can tow 1500 lbs (tow rating) and can haul inside of itself 990 lbs (payload rating). The trailer you're buying weighs 1245 lbs unloaded so it should only have 255 lbs of stuff inside and on it once you've loaded it so that it does not exceed the towing rating of your CR-V (also include the weight of the propane tank on the front of the tent trailer). The vehicle itself can haul 990 lbs, but you must subtract a tank of gas (about 100 lbs) and the passengers in the vehicle (whatever they weigh). So just as an example, lets say you have a full tank of gas, and you and your husband are going camping. 990 lbs subtract 100 lbs of gas, and 350 lbs of people... that leaves you with 540lbs of payload left. To sum this up, load the camper with 255 lb and the rest of your stuff goes in the CR-V with you. (up to 540 lbs). This all being said, I don't think you will be taking 800 lbs of stuff with you. It would be best to pack the camper with your food in the fridge and a few other items, and keep your suitcases and water jugs in the trunk of the CR-V.

The CR-V will perform best left in D3 on the transmission so it doesn't hunt through gears and over heat. Yes the engine will rev high and chew through gas in 3rd gear on the highway, but that's how things go when you tow with a CR-V. Keep your speed to 55 mph or 95 kph.
The CR-V won't be a race car with a trailer behind it, but I've towed 1500 lbs in the hot summer with no problems.

The 2300 lbs gross veh. weight rating on the camper comes from the unloaded vehicle weight (1245) plus the max carrying capacity (1055). This just means that the camper itself can safely carry 1055 lbs of stuff in it. However in your case that amount of weight would overload the capacity of the CR-v. As stated above, only load the trailer with a max of 255 lbs to stay within your ratings.
Happy Camping and Safe towing!

New member here...Hi!

My husband and I have a 2009 2WD Automatic LX CR-V. We want to buy a Fleetwood Cobalt pop up camper since it is one of the lightest pop ups you can get and under the max. towing weight of 1500 lbs. We are trying to figure out what all of the different weights mean and how much exactly we can tow, and are getting super confused. So can someone who knows this stuff tell us if this is safe to tow?

Thanks so much!

Here are the Cobalt specs:

View attachment 38130

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
379 Posts
We want to buy a Fleetwood Cobalt pop up camper since it is one of the lightest pop ups you can get and under the max. towing weight of 1500 lbs.
I pull an Aspen Sentry pop-up camper via my motorcycle. It's a lot lighter than that one. It's basically a queen sized bed, dressing area plus storage. I pack my own fold-up table and white gas stove.

http://www.aspenqualitytrailers.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.