Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 CR V AWD. I found online a hard side camper.. A Prolite 12V camper. Made in Canada. Dry weight is 950 with a tounge weight of 120 Lbs. Our drive to go camping is 75 miles away, and not on any steep roads. Can we pull this little camper with the CR V??

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
The weight of anything you carry inside the trailer while towing needs to be added to the 950 lb figure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Forget "Dry weight". Thanks a skeleton bones weight. What is its loaded "scale weight"? What is its GVWR (which is often most people's "wet weight")?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't have it yet. Just looking at it. I know that we carried more with the Go than we would with the 12V. The platform of the Go had 2 coolers, and 4 FULL totes. Then we carried a bunch of stuff in the back of the CR V. I would say we were around 1650 Lbs wet..

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
If I understand our Gen 5 owners manual correctly, the gross vehicle weight is 4700 lbs, according to the sticker on the door pillar. Again, if I understand the manual correctly, that 4700 lbs would include 150 lbs trailer tongue weight......leaving 1350 lbs towed load max, presuming the V is also at it’s max gross vehicle weight of 4700 lbs. If the GVW is less than 4700 lbs, say 4200 lbs, the trailer should never exceed 1500 lbs. That’s the way I read it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I understand our Gen 5 owners manual correctly, the gross vehicle weight is 4700 lbs, according to the sticker on the door pillar. Again, if I understand the manual correctly, that 4700 lbs would include 150 lbs trailer tongue weight......leaving 1350 lbs towed load max, presuming the V is also at it’s max gross vehicle weight of 4700 lbs. If the GVWR is less than 4700 lbs, say 4200 lbs, the trailer should never exceed 1500 lbs. That’s the way I read it.
The GVWR says on the V is 2000 Lbs. I still don't understand what all of that means..

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
GVWR is the weight of the empty vehicle plus the weight limit of occupants/cargo. The tongue weight of a trailer is considered as cargo weight.

That 2000 GVWR is kilograms, not lbs.........4400 lbs GVWR.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GVWR is the weight of the empty vehicle plus the weight limit of occupants/cargo. The tongue weight of a trailer is considered as cargo weight.

That 2000 GVWR is kilograms, not lbs.........4400 lbs GVWR.
I just looked it up on a site called Camper Report. It lists some of the campers that can be towed with the CR V. My Wife and I along with what we will be taking with us is far less than what we took with the Go. There should be no problem pulling the 12 V. The only major weight will be the deep cycle battery. Most of the food we get there. There is no water in the fresh water tank. Thus no water in the grey water tank. The fridge only holds 1.7 Cubic Feet. No much will be in there except for our insulin pens. It comes with a micro wave that won't be coming with us. No heavy LP tank. All Electric.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So by looking at the link I posted, and you people that own CR V's. Can I tow the Prolite 12V with a 2016 CR V??

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Just remember, the weight of anything added to/carried in the trailer must be added to that 950 lb empty trailer weight. The weight of the two of you and anything added to/carried in the V (including the tonge weight of the trailer) become part of Gross Vehicle Weight limit on the sticker.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After doing some figuring I came up with 1470 Lbs.altogether. So does that mean I would still have 1300 Lbs to play with??

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Are we talking pounds or kilograms? Which number is the loaded trailer? Re-read post #8.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I read #8. Tongue weight is 120 Lbs. After adding our weight, the weight of what we will be taking i come up with about 1470 Lbs. I would also have to subtract 15 Lbs for the weight of the microwave that we wouldn't be taking.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts