Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Looking for guidance. Driving from San Francisco to Port Townsend Washington. Approx 1000 miles. Pulling a 5x8 uhaul. U haul is installing a hitch. Load will be a bed, lots of books and household stuff. Having a profesional load the trailer. What's the max weight I can pull? Never have pulled a trailer before and have some serious anxiety about towing through the windy mountains on interstate 5. Big mountains, big winds and big trucks, oh my馃槉
.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Vagabond girl

Registered
Good thing to remember is slow down, speed kills.
Owners manual should have towing capability. Small loaded truck towing car another option though more costly but safer if you are worried about trip.

Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Your CRV is NOT rated and specified to tow a loaded U-haul 5/8 trailer. TOO MUCH WEIGHT even for in town towing on flat road at low speeds.

Now.. couple that with a hard drive over Siskiyou Summit and you have a recipe for disaster in my view.

You might.. might be able to tow an empty 5x8 (empty it is still too heavy, but Honda is conservative on limits I think) ... but there would be little point in that.

Anyway... your vehicle your choice... but I personally would not do it.

Registered
Title says 2011
I saw that, but I really didn't think she/he was seriously considering towing 5 x 8 U Haul trailer that could haul up to a maximum gross of 2700 pounds with a CRV . With the description of "a bed, lots of books and household stuff" it sounds like they are moving a small apartment worth of things. Google indicates "An average one-bedroom apartment containing a bed, dresser, sofa, coffee table, entertainment center, television, dining set, desk and computer weighs approximately 2,110 lbs" add a WAG of one "Lots of Books" at 800 pounds per cubic yard, you can see the trailer can easily hit the maximum gross capacity for the trailer alone. Add to that passengers, and "things" packed inside the Honda it sounds like a recipe for disaster. Shoot the weight of my wifes shoes alone........... better not go there.:eek:

Does a Honda CRV have a maximum frontal area for a trailer?

All in all, personally I think a U-Haul truck towing the CRV on a trailer is the better way to go for a inexperienced driver on a mountain road. According the Web, "...the summit gains or loses 2,300 feet in altitude in just six miles on its 6 percent grades. The road includes some steep sections." In my opinion, this does not sound like something an inexperienced driver with a near or over capacity trailer should be thinking of tackling. Too many things can go wrong.

Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
Pulling a trailer creates a whole different driving dynamic than just driving alone.

IMHO, renting a cargo truck and towing your CR-V will be much cheaper than any medical +/or mechanical bills you would incur by having the CR-V tow your trailer. Especially if you have never pulled a trailer before.

Registered
2016 EX
Just my two cents, but I pulled a Uhaul 4x8 trailer home from my girlfriends father's place in new york with a couch in it. Probably was getting close to towing limits with just the weight of the couch, however it handled it without any noticeable issues on my end. Got real bad gas millage though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I saw that, but I really didn't think she/he was seriously considering towing 5 x 8 U Haul trailer that could haul up to a maximum gross of 2700 pounds with a CRV . With the description of "a bed, lots of books and household stuff" it sounds like they are moving a small apartment worth of things. Google indicates "An average one-bedroom apartment containing a bed, dresser, sofa, coffee table, entertainment center, television, dining set, desk and computer weighs approximately 2,110 lbs" add a WAG of one "Lots of Books" at 800 pounds per cubic yard, you can see the trailer can easily hit the maximum gross capacity for the trailer alone. Add to that passengers, and "things" packed inside the Honda it sounds like a recipe for disaster. Shoot the weight of my wifes shoes alone........... better not go there.:eek:

All in all, personally I think a U-Haul truck towing the CRV on a trailer is the better way to go for a inexperienced driver on a mountain road. According the Web, "...the summit gains or loses 2,300 feet in altitude in just six miles on its 6 percent grades. The road includes some steep sections." In my opinion, this does not sound like something an inexperienced driver with a near or over capacity trailer should be thinking of tackling. Too many things can go wrong.
Hi, thanks guys for your suggestions. My tow capacity is 1400 lbs. The trailer is 1000 empty. If I only load 400 lbs I should be cool? I am an experienced driver just not towing a trailer. I figured if I drive the slow lane behind a big rig at keep it slow, I should do fine?

Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
Load will be a bed, lots of books and household stuff.
400 lbs. is not a lot. A few boxes of books will get you there quickly.

Reactions: Tammara

Registered
Discussion Starter #11

Hi , I am keeping the load around 400lbs. Tow capacity is 1400. Trailer is 1000 empty. No furniture except bed, and a coue hundred pounds in books.

Registered
I am not familiar with the Pass and trip route, but seeing one member post about grades, etc does raise a concern. Towing at load limit on flat level roads is one thing and towing on steep hills/grades with task brakes and powertrain to it's ability too. Does the trailer have surge brakes or just maybe a emergency braking if disconnected? I am sure it won't have electrical actuated or the CR-V a brake controller installed. One thing you don't want is descending a long grade and brakes fail from over heating. Manual or automatic transmission ? Manual can offer engine braking if needed more over the automatic. Are you loading up the CR-V with stuff as well? That affects towing and braking as well!
Personally, Rent a small uhaul and tow the C , have someone drive it separately or make multiple trips! Be safe !!

Look at this link calling it one of the most dangerous roads in I5.

Siskiyou Summit, one of the more perilous sections of Interstate 5

At least it isn't winter ....

Registered
Hi, thanks guys for your suggestions. My tow capacity is 1400 lbs. The trailer is 1000 empty. If I only load 400 lbs I should be cool? I am an experienced driver just not towing a trailer. I figured if I drive the slow lane behind a big rig at keep it slow, I should do fine?
You also have to include your weight and the weight of any passengers on our final weight tally...because that is the way Honda specifies weight limits, including towing.

Registered
I am not familiar with the Pass and trip route, but seeing one member post about grades, etc does raise a concern. Towing at load limit on flat level roads is one thing and towing on steep hills/grades with task brakes and powertrain to it's ability too. Does the trailer have surge brakes or just maybe a emergency braking if disconnected? I am sure it won't have electrical actuated or the CR-V a brake controller installed. One thing you don't want is descending a long grade and brakes fail from over heating. Manual or automatic transmission ? Manual can offer engine braking if needed more over the automatic. Are you loading up the CR-V with stuff as well? That affects towing and braking as well!
Personally, Rent a small uhaul and tow the C , have someone drive it separately or make multiple trips! Be safe !!

Look at this link calling it one of the most dangerous roads in I5.

Siskiyou Summit, one of the more perilous sections of Interstate 5

At least it isn't winter ....

I've driven that summit in late spring.. it is no cake walk to be sure.

I never towed anything across the summit, and would not, even if I had the vehicle for it.. which a CRV IS NOT. Actually the summit is easy and interesting.. it is the grade on both sides of it that are the driving challenge.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Hello all,
Looking for guidance. Driving from San Francisco to Port Townsend Washington. Approx 1000 miles. Pulling a 5x8 uhaul. U haul is installing a hitch. Load will be a bed, lots of books and household stuff. Having a profesional load the trailer. What's the max weight I can pull? Never have pulled a trailer before and have some serious anxiety about towing through the windy mountains on interstate 5. Big mountains, big winds and big trucks, oh my馃槉
.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Vagabond girl

Registered
2014 Honda CRV
Maybe, just maybe you could meet the weight limits for the CRV but you will be at the limits in my opinion. This is one of those you can do it, but should you, and the answer is a big NO. You stated this is your first time towing, Ive been over those mountains, That is not where you want to learn how to tow a trailer, in my opinion.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey thanks guys!! I guess I was anxious with good reason. I just drove over the pass last month and wondered if was a good idea. Personally, I have had so many mixed reactions but I am going to err on the side of caution and just rent a cargo van for the move and have a friend drive my crv. Once again, thanks for telling me straight up. Safe and happy trails to you all!!

Registered
I think that is a wise decision. Thanks for letting us know. Be safe, and have a trouble free and enjoyable trip. (y)

Registered
I was reading this and glad I caught the last bit of deciding not to. 5x8 is the biggest I'd do with our odyssey, even after have putting on a transmission cooler.

My v has a trans cooler and most I have pushed was 2000, that was short distance top speed of 35mph hauling scrap in a utility trailer to the scrap yard, total 7 miles all flat except crossing a bridge. Used that same trailer to haul 1000-1500lbs on multiple 300 mile trips for us to move to st louis last year. Odyssey had the 5x8 enclosed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
Good decision Tammara. BTW, Port Townsend is a beautiful area. Enjoy!

Reactions: Tammara
1 - 20 of 21 Posts