Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just had my complimentary 5K oil change at my Honda dealer. I had a discussion with the service manager about my plans to add a trailer hitch and do occasional weekend-warrior towing with a 4x8 trailer. Towing would rarely exceed 25 miles a few times per year.

The manager acted very cautious about towing when I said that "the most I would ever haul is 1000 pounds, usually less". He said that towing even 1000 pounds would put a strain on the CVT, and said that it should have an additional tranny cooler. I did not see on Honda's website that there is a factory option for transmission cooling for towing.

I am new to towing, and this is actually a smaller vehicle than I have had for many years. So I have not had to previously worry about abusing transmissions.

Is the CRV with a CVT an adequate tow vehicle? I thought I had done adequate research before buying, but now I am wondering if I bought too small. Why would Honda rate it for 1500 pounds with no warning about transmission cooling. Can't find anything in the owner's manual either.

Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Sales scare!

I can’t really say much as I don't own a CRV with CVT

·
Registered
262 Posts
Rule #1 - Honda engineers know more about your vehicle than a dealer.

Apparently, Honda are confident that your CR-V will at least make it through the 60,000-mile powertrain warranty while towing up to 1,500 lbs. without having to replace the transmission. Otherwise, you'd see something like "towing not allowed" or "towing distance limited to xxx miles" or "maximum towing limit 1,000 lbs." or "towing not recommended without an additional cooler" or "maximum towing speed xx MPH".

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have no idea how the CVT functions.

Does it have a cooler on the radiator just like any ole other automatic trans? If so, then the cooler in the radiator is not big enough.

I pretty much don't care how bad it is, it will last 60K. Honda did not get its reputation by only lasting 60K. I assume that the Service Manager's response is based on the premise that it should last till at least 250K.

I don't tow w/any auto trans car that doesn't have a cooler on it. And, if I can get it on there, I put an external ATF filter on it.

Also, change you fluid at about every 25K....or about once a year for me.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
You'll be fine. Your vehicle is rated to tow 1,500 lbs and you'll be towing less thank 1,000 lbs. It sounds like they were trying to make some money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The CVT will survive. Sure there's better transmission designs for towing, but you're only moving 1500lbs. Just change the trans fluid more often than one who doesn't tow would.

I'd like to drive the new Honda cvt, the programming in the 2014 accord is deplorable. The thing never wants to rev up, unless you slam the gas down AND click back between D and S. Only then does it rev up and put some torque to the wheels.

That's a decently strong drivetrain you have. Trust me, I've done a number to that poor cvt accord. 16 years old, just got license, Mom just bought new accord than can spin 7,000 rpm... enough said. I used to run the thing so hard the brakes looked like a distress smoke signal flare. To say the least I warped the rotors with all that racing around. Drive train on the other hand is fine, never once over heated. Trans runs same as always (although I hate the 'shift' programming, and engine braking jolts). I would occasionally set the cruise at the speed limiter of 127mph.

There's nothing you can do to your cvt that's much worse than what I've done with mine, except neglecting the maintenance of course. The brakes are the weak point on your car when towing.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If you plan on keeping your crv and towing with it, install a cooler. Its not too expensive and does the job. Plenty of after market ones. The transmission might last up to the 60k but what about after? For around 100-200 you can have a cooler installed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

The manager acted very cautious about towing when I said that "the most I would ever haul is 1000 pounds, usually less". He said that towing even 1000 pounds would put a strain on the CVT, and said that it should have an additional tranny cooler. I did not see on Honda's website that there is a factory option for transmission cooling for towing.

Is the CRV with a CVT an adequate tow vehicle? I thought I had done adequate research before buying, but now I am wondering if I bought too small. Why would Honda rate it for 1500 pounds with no warning about transmission cooling. Can't find anything in the owner's manual either.

Thanks, Tim
Service managers typical tactic to "upsell" you one transmission cooler + labor = $$$$$ ##% commission.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've been towing a lot of things with a lot of different size vehicles for over 50 years. That little bit of weight at those low speeds doesn't even count as towing in my book.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts