Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched, this and I can't figure out why we have a 1500 lb tow rating, in Australia, the same car has a 3000 lb. tow rating if the trailer has brakes, the 2012 Ford Escape, has a 3500 lb tow rating, if you have the tow package, which is a 2" receiver, and a 4 prong lighting kit, the 2012 Honda has the same size front brakes, and 2" larger rear discs, so my question to all of you, how much have you hauled, and how did it perform?, Thanks, the reason is I'm looking for a small trailer that I can tow

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Try doing a forum search.......there are several threads discussing towing.

In some other countries, Honda requires the dealership to install a tranny fluid cooler when the dealership installs a trailer hitch. The tranny in some other countries comes from the factory with an attachment point provision for the tranny cooler. The USA Honda suits and ties decided USA CRVs did not need the tranny cooler provision. That may have something to do with the 1500 lb tow limit.☹

So far, I haven’t exceeded about 1200 lbs........and only for a short distance (landscape materials) using a HF stand up utility trailer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So no one has towed with their CR-V? I have a Draw-tite 75742 class III hitch, which is rated at 675 lb tongue, and 4,500 lb tow rating, what do the hitch builders know that the car builders are not saying? I'm betting this will easily tow at least 2500 lbs or more, I will test it out

·
Registered
160 Posts
So no one has towed with their CR-V? I have a Draw-tite 75742 class III hitch, which is rated at 675 lb tongue, and 4,500 lb tow rating, what do the hitch builders know that the car builders are not saying? I'm betting this will easily tow at least 2500 lbs or more, I will test it out
They don't know anything that engineer, designer and builder don't know about the capabilities of the CRV.

The hitch rating means little if the vehicle isn't up to the task.

The materials used to build a CRV hitch are pulled from the same stock as many other hitches.

This results in components may be able to handle a greater load than the vehicle they ultimately ends up on.

And implying the hitch is stronger (higher rating) is always a good sales tool.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,069 Posts
The 1500 lb USA rating was for a trailer without brakes. IIRC the rating was 2500 lbs in the UK with trailer brakes (this, for Gen2 Vs).

For occasional use as crv383 practiced, you don't need the tranny cooler. For longer/heavier hauls, for sure get the cooler, and change your ATF more often. (This advice for traditional transmissions, I'd be leery of towing with a CVT)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1500 lb USA rating was for a trailer without brakes. IIRC the rating was 2500 lbs in the UK with trailer brakes (this, for Gen2 Vs).

For occasional use as crv383 practiced, you don't need the tranny cooler. For longer/heavier hauls, for sure get the cooler, and change your ATF more often. (This advice for traditional transmissions, I'd be leery of towing with a CVT)

That's why when I was looking for a used CRV I narrowed my search to a 2012-2014 to get the 5 speed auto instead of the CVT

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
...........For longer/heavier hauls, for sure get the cooler..........
Where/how do you connect a tranny cooler to a USA CVT? FWIW.......this past weekend on a 425 mile road trip, outside temps 40F-47F, 75 mph, I observed a high of 231F tranny fluid temp NOT TOWING.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I thought I said I did some towing.......no?

When you watch the hitch install videos at etrailer.com, they tell you never exceed the tow vehicle factory rating. Any/all Class III hitch(s) are overkill on the CRV. No trailer hitch increases the factory tow numbers. The 675 lb and 4500 lb numbers have nothing to do with the CRV factory tow rating.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,069 Posts
Where/how do you connect a tranny cooler to a USA CVT?
I said, "This advice (trans cooler) is for traditional transmissions",
FWIW.......this past weekend on a 425 mile road trip, outside temps 40F-47F, 75 mph, I observed a high of 231F tranny fluid temp NOT TOWING.
OK, 👍 that is with a CVT. Point the OP towards your other posts on transmission fluid temperature monitoring. (THANK YOU for posting these periodically)

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Well duh on my part......I missed the OP having a 2012 V.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw a good video of a trans cooler install on a 2009 CRV, going to be different on a 2012 but looks relatively easy, it was a Derale 8000 plate fin kit, # 13502. $40 on Amazon

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Tow ratings are for a reason.

What the transmission and brakes can handle. The rear suspension specs. What the BODY MOUNTING CAN HANDLE. What the transmission can handle without burning up, or manual vs automatic. Country based specs are also due to terrain, highway allowed speeds and so on. UK doesnt have the Rockies or even the Appalachians or anything close. Those grades make a HUGE difference. And are near the top of the list for ratings.

Yes ones in other countries are rated differently but they are NOT THE SAME. There CRVs have the adaptions needed in their designs/part specs to handle the weight. This is common among every manufacturer, vehicles tweaked and specced different based on the markets being sold in. Also unlike the US, UK and Australia are heavily manual transmission markets. Americans have become a bunch of lazy dumb asses that just want to turn the key and go while they stare at their phones. And yes I am an American.

Towing capacity is also dependent on what's in the vehicle.

If you have a CVT, dont even go close to max towing.

One thing no one here except a few takes into account, the aerodynamic drag of the trailer. 1500lbs of a big enclosed trailer, yeap kiss your transmission goodbye after not to long if more than about 45mph around town. 1500lbs of a flat trailer with a quad on it, no big deal.

Short distances without any real grades to speak of and careful driving, going over if loaded correctly is ok, but not more than 2k. Keep total load at or below 1500lbs with trans cooler if planning to tow regularly.

There is a lot to towing that most people try to ignore and that's how they crash or destroy their vehicles. CRVs are meant for towing, except first 2-3 generations they are soccer mom commuter vehicles.

All that said, my gen 2 (2003) has just shy of 244k now. Last summer towed my custom built trailer that I had to modify to haul instead of becoming a tiny camper, I towed loads ranging from 1000-1500lbs 300 miles down, empty back 3x in 2 weeks. This was with 10% oversized all terrain tires. Wifes odyssey had the uhaul trailer for the last 2 of those 3 trips. We moved to st louis. Other than gas mileage was that of a pickup truck when towing loaded at 60mph, overdrive off most of the time when loaded, my v did great. Changed trans fluid a couple weeks later for piece of mind as was near due anyway.

That was June, still my daily driver, still tow little bits in the trailer for family around here as needed.

Biggest thing, my trans cooler was $70 IIRC. Big stacked plate Haynes cooler. Even then our odyssey with twice the load was running cooler (normal temps, basic haynes cooler) by about 20F after pulling mild hills. Everytime we stopped I checked with infrared thermometer on the trans and at the coolers because odyssey likes to run hot when loaded at 2000ish and rated for 3000.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
^^^^"Americans have become a bunch of lazy dumb asses that just want to turn the key and go while they stare at their phones".(n)

The above post (#12) was really good until I got to the sentence above........but hey, at least the sentence is grammatically correct, for once. Ain't it great living in a country where you have the right/privilege to say just about anything you want.(y)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tow ratings are for a reason.

What the transmission and brakes can handle. The rear suspension specs. What the BODY MOUNTING CAN HANDLE. What the transmission can handle without burning up, or manual vs automatic. Country based specs are also due to terrain, highway allowed speeds and so on. UK doesnt have the Rockies or even the Appalachians or anything close. Those grades make a HUGE difference. And are near the top of the list for ratings.

Yes ones in other countries are rated differently but they are NOT THE SAME. There CRVs have the adaptions needed in their designs/part specs to handle the weight. This is common among every manufacturer, vehicles tweaked and specced different based on the markets being sold in. Also unlike the US, UK and Australia are heavily manual transmission markets. Americans have become a bunch of lazy dumb asses that just want to turn the key and go while they stare at their phones. And yes I am an American.

Towing capacity is also dependent on what's in the vehicle.

If you have a CVT, dont even go close to max towing.

One thing no one here except a few takes into account, the aerodynamic drag of the trailer. 1500lbs of a big enclosed trailer, yeap kiss your transmission goodbye after not to long if more than about 45mph around town. 1500lbs of a flat trailer with a quad on it, no big deal.

Short distances without any real grades to speak of and careful driving, going over if loaded correctly is ok, but not more than 2k. Keep total load at or below 1500lbs with trans cooler if planning to tow regularly.

There is a lot to towing that most people try to ignore and that's how they crash or destroy their vehicles. CRVs are meant for towing, except first 2-3 generations they are soccer mom commuter vehicles.

All that said, my gen 2 (2003) has just shy of 244k now. Last summer towed my custom built trailer that I had to modify to haul instead of becoming a tiny camper, I towed loads ranging from 1000-1500lbs 300 miles down, empty back 3x in 2 weeks. This was with 10% oversized all terrain tires. Wifes odyssey had the uhaul trailer for the last 2 of those 3 trips. We moved to st louis. Other than gas mileage was that of a pickup truck when towing loaded at 60mph, overdrive off most of the time when loaded, my v did great. Changed trans fluid a couple weeks later for piece of mind as was near due anyway.

That was June, still my daily driver, still tow little bits in the trailer for family around here as needed.

Biggest thing, my trans cooler was $70 IIRC. Big stacked plate Haynes cooler. Even then our odyssey with twice the load was running cooler (normal temps, basic haynes cooler) by about 20F after pulling mild hills. Everytime we stopped I checked with infrared thermometer on the trans and at the coolers because odyssey likes to run hot when loaded at 2000ish and rated for 3000.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

This is a very funny post , because first you criticize towing with a CRV then you admit to towing a lot, with your crv, make up your mind

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^^"Americans have become a bunch of lazy dumb asses that just want to turn the key and go while they stare at their phones".(n)

The above post (#12) was really good until I got to the sentence above........but hey, at least the sentence is grammatically correct, for once. Ain't it great living in a country where you have the right/privilege to say just about anything you want.(y)

Not lazy to have automatic transmissions, the 5000 hp top fuel rail drag cars also have automatic trans also, Ferrari cars, not lazy just smarter, faster shifting, better control, it's not 1960 anymore

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Do you think he meant to say “CRVs are meant for towing”?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where/how do you connect a tranny cooler to a USA CVT? FWIW.......this past weekend on a 425 mile road trip, outside temps 40F-47F, 75 mph, I observed a high of 231F tranny fluid temp NOT TOWING.

You should change your trans fluid asap, 175f is optimal, for every 20 degrees above 200 the failure rate doubles for every 20 rise in temp, I have a Dodge 3500 truck with a 4000 lb camper in the bed, my tranny never goes above 155-165

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Apparently that is not the case with a CVT tranny (our 1st)......they run very hot. The 155-165 temps you stated are what I have observed in traditional auto trannies. I installed a B&M stacked plate cooler on our RAV4 (5 speed auto) in line with and after the radiator cooler. Towing in triple digit outside temps, 75 mph, I might see 175-180 tranny fluid temps. That ain’t the case with a CVT tranny.

Hard to believe Honda calls that hockey puck on their CVT a “warmer”........really?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts