Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I’m fairly New to the forum. I purchased a 2014 CRV front wheel drive only, about eight months ago. Clean car only 16,000 miles on it! runs great no issues.

I’ve ditched my tow dolly of 4 years and have gone flat towing. I have a few questions for those of you that tow with your CRV as well as those RV owners who use your CRV as a toad.

1. I’ve had the Blue Ox Towbar & base plate system installed and a patriot 3 auxiliary braking system for the vehicle. I would like to know what settings people are using with the Patriot braking system? (Force, sensitivity etc..)

2. I had a draw tight hitch installed to the rear of the CRV. I see on this site people list the Tongue weight at 150 pounds. Is this for the factory hitch? The draw tight hitch I installed as a far greater tongue weight of 675lbs, mostly the hitch will be used for a cargo carrier that’s the only reason why I ask.

3. how often and what transmission fluid is everyone using when they change it? I only intend to tow the vehicle about four hours a day behind my motorhome, max. I’ve also read on some of the RV forums that people go up to 70 mph on a short time distance like a plan on doing, anyone else out there do the same with no issues?

Thanks,
JChance
PSL FL

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,567 Posts
The tongue weight doesn't have to due with the hitch. It has to due with two things. First total load capacity of the vehicle is only 850lbs, or approx. 425 lbs rear suspension 425 lbs. front. Also the balance of the vehicle. As you push down on the hitch, the weight on the front tires become less, effecting handling and traction. It's like a seesaw with the fulcrum being the rear suspension, or the fat dude standing on the back of a golf cart and the front wheels come off the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gotcha. Fat people in the front!
Is there any upgrades I could do to the rear suspension to handle a heavier load? Just curious. If I remember correctly I have struts with springs around them, you can’t add air bags to them.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,567 Posts
Gotcha. Fat people in the front!
Is there any upgrades I could do to the rear suspension to handle a heavier load? Just curious. If I remember correctly I have struts with springs around them, you can’t add air bags to them.
I know of nothing that would upgrade the rear suspension of the CR-V. I looked in the manual for the UK CR-V because they permit a higher towing load 4000lbs (trailer with brakes) 1300lbs (without brakes) but even there they state that the max tongue weight is 220 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
What’s different about the U.K. model that it has higher towing spec’s?

I had a Kia Soul that has no ratings for towing in the US, However, European manual has all the spec’s for towing. Same vehicle, no differences. I’ve towed a very small boat in my community from my house 4 miles away to our lake. No problem what so ever, but the speed limit is 25 mph!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tongue weight doesn't have to due with the hitch. It has to due with two things. First total load capacity of the vehicle is only 850lbs, or approx. 425 lbs rear suspension 425 lbs. front. Also the balance of the vehicle. As you push down on the hitch, the weight on the front tires become less, effecting handling and traction. It's like a seesaw with the fulcrum being the rear suspension, or the fat dude standing on the back of a golf cart and the front wheels come off the ground.
Thanks, sounds logical. I’ve done some research the only suspension upgrades is to add Sumo coil springs to the rear coils. I’m not inclined to do that just yet. I know it will stiffen the ride when no load is on the suspension.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have anyone found out why there is such a huge difference between UK and US based towing specs? 1500# in US vs 3306# (trailer with breaks) for UK version of 1.5L turbo CVT? Thank you

QUOTE="Jchance, post: 1610365, member: 416764"]
What’s different about the U.K. model that it has higher towing spec’s?

I had a Kia Soul that has no ratings for towing in the US, However, European manual has all the spec’s for towing. Same vehicle, no differences. I’ve towed a very small boat in my community from my house 4 miles away to our lake. No problem what so ever, but the speed limit is 25 mph!
[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
The difference between UK and US towing specs is that in the UK you are limited to towing 35 to 45 miles an hour or so. I don't know the exact limit. in some parts of the United States, however, you are allowed to tow up to 80 miles an hour. Speed destabilizes everything. If you are only able to tow up to 35 miles an hour, it's safe to tow a lot more weight, than if you plan to go on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
The difference between UK and US towing specs is that in the UK you are limited to towing 35 to 45 miles an hour or so. I don't know the exact limit. in some parts of the United States, however, you are allowed to tow up to 80 miles an hour. Speed destabilizes everything. If you are only able to tow up to 35 miles an hour, it's safe to tow a lot more weight, than if you plan to go on the freeway.
No. The towing ratings are pan-European. The rest of Europe has 90 kph (62 mph) towing speed limit on the freeway. Not sure about the UK but probably the same.

EDIT: To celebrate my 809 posts here's my beloved (ex) 809 towing (3.6 metric tons in total, IIRC) discarded tires from nature to dumpyard:

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Well, a lot of the roads in US have 55mph limit when towing. Other than lawsuit happy US consumers, I don’t see the difference in the engine/CVT spec difference. What am I missing?
US GVWR and towing ratings are seriously steeped in a long-standing tradition of bureaucratic meddling that will likely never go away or become less burdensome. Perhaps there is less of that these days and more freedom in the part of the world that we colonials escaped to come here and establish our own bureaucracy? Just a wild guess. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
I don't know what this guy's sources are, but he sounds like he knows more than I do.

This one doesn't explain differences between EU and US, but it's interesting, none the less.

·
Read Only
12 Posts
Well, a lot of the roads in US have 55mph limit when towing. Other than lawsuit happy US consumers, I don’t see the difference in the engine/CVT specs. What am I missing?
Specs are a baseline for how much strain or load vehicles can handle. Reliable Engineering for engine & transmission parts are another. More & more automotive parts are built bin China. The sticker on new vehicles don’t show where all parts are manufactured. Just the major parts. Older engines/ transmissions reliability are established. New engines/ transmissions have yet to prove themselves. However, manufacturers & government recalls shed light on faults. 2017-18 Honda 1.5L turbo engines Resulted in excessive oil dilution. My research finds that experts show oil dilution in all turbo models engines. The new engines require 0-20W synthetic oils. Where as older 1.8L engines did not. The difference is the alloys in the metal. General specs don’t reflect that. The CVT transmission is new. In theory it should be much better & easier to fix. Mechanics say CVT transmissions are not worth fixing. It’s cheaper to replace one. Specs don’t show this. Tesla’s have issues. Tesla manufacturer’s just replace parts not rebuilt them. That is a bad carbon foot print.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Specs are a baseline for how much strain or load vehicles can handle. Reliable Engineering for engine & transmission parts are another. More & more automotive parts are built bin China. The sticker on new vehicles don’t show where all parts are manufactured. Just the major parts. Older engines/ transmissions reliability are established. New engines/ transmissions have yet to prove themselves. However, manufacturers & government recalls shed light on faults. 2017-18 Honda 1.5L turbo engines Resulted in excessive oil dilution. My research finds that experts show oil dilution in all turbo models engines. The new engines require 0-20W synthetic oils. Where as older 1.8L engines did not. The difference is the alloys in the metal. General specs don’t reflect that. The CVT transmission is new. In theory it should be much better & easier to fix. Mechanics say CVT transmissions are not worth fixing. It’s cheaper to replace one. Specs don’t show this. Tesla’s have issues. Tesla manufacturer’s just replace parts not rebuilt them. That is a bad carbon foot print.
Welcome to the forum! Please go to your Account Settings/Main Page, where you will see spaces to fill in your location (city, state, etc.) and vehicle info (year, trim level, etc.). Add that info and save. Then it will display in your Avatar, as you can see it in mine (hover over my flag to see my location). This will give us what we need to know to help with most questions, without us having to ask or you having to add it in every post.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.