Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
I just typed in the google search bar "2011 CR-V tow specs".

Guess what appeared? Google is your friend.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
So what it say smart ass
It says that referenced 1500 pounds is invalid if your car cargo includes 4 heavy people and a great dane. Loaded as such its now only a 500 pound tow vehicle.

While controversal I say that while our V's are wonderful buggies they are not an ideal tow buggy. YMMV.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Actually, the load limit is as much about the suspension's capacity to remain stable at speed. Those factors include load distribution, balance, and center of gravity of the load, vertical, and horizontal in both directions (length and width). And then, obviously, the vehicle's mechanical capabilities of acceleration and braking: the engine's power and cooling, transmission and drivetrain limits, as well as braking ability. Don't forget about tires, either. They have their very own load ratings.

It would behoove us all to be very careful about towing with such a small and light vehicle as a CR-V. But it can be quite useful for small tasks, too. Just be careful, and always put safety first. You never know until it's too late what your last mistake is going to be. So don't over-drive your total weight, or your skill level.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
also I would put an auxiliary transmission cooler on it too.I put this on my 05 and 06 no towing though but 20F doubles the life of the trans.............
You guys that can tie in to existing tranny fluid lines to install a secondary/auxiliary cooler are so lucky. My guess is Honda suits and ties decided the USA CVT did not need that capability. In other countries Honda did, but not the USA.:(

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
While controversal I say that while our V's are wonderful buggies they are not an ideal tow buggy. YMMV.
Not controversial at all--we have towing limits for safety reasons. And I agree--the V is not a good tow vehicle, despite the alleged "success" others have had, and despite the tow ratings in other countries (which are higher than ours). I won't chance it, myself. With our US 1,500 lb. limit, once you add the weight of the trailer and account for any load inside the vehicle (passengers or cargo), that doesn't leave a whole heck of a lot of capacity. But even so, it's still handy to have a towing hookup for those occasional times we might need it.

My next ride will have more towing capacity because I'm moving up to something larger, so it will be a nice side-benefit.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
522 Posts
You guys that can tie in to existing tranny fluid lines to install a secondary/auxiliary cooler are so lucky. My guess is Honda suits and ties decided the USA CVT did not need that capability. In other countries Honda did, but not the USA.:(
I think the 2015 and newer CRV with the CVT does have lines running through the thermostat housing to warm the fluid in cold weather but would be good to add a cooler on the return to the trans. in hot weather or towing,I could be wrong, I will check in to it

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I think the 2015 and newer CRV with the CVT does have lines running through the thermostat housing to warm the fluid in cold weather but would be good to add a cooler on the return to the trans. in hot weather or towing,I could be wrong, I will check in to it
I'm unable to see your pic.

If the '15 CVT is like the '17 CVT, those 2 lines have engine coolant flowing to/from the so called "warmer", not tranny fluid. Not sure what that so called "warmer" does. In cold ambients, tranny fluid takes a long time/plenty of driving to reach +/-160F. In hot ambients, the CVT fluid will easily run 30*+ above engine coolant temp. I have seen 40*+ above engine coolant temp......not towing.:eek:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Not controversial at all--we have towing limits for safety reasons. And I agree--the V is not a good tow vehicle, despite the alleged "success" others have had, and despite the tow ratings in other countries (which are higher than ours). I won't chance it, myself. With our US 1,500 lb. limit, once you add the weight of the trailer and account for any load inside the vehicle (passengers or cargo), that doesn't leave a whole heck of a lot of capacity. But even so, it's still handy to have a towing hookup for those occasional times we might need it.

My next ride will have more towing capacity because I'm moving up to something larger, so it will be a nice side-benefit.
I installed a hitch on our V and bought a light weight 4X8 folding/stand-up trailer. Handy as a pocket on a shirt. Stands up, rolls around on casters, stores in the garage and both cars still fit in the garage.

I don't plan on doing any long distance towing, just around town hauling of stuff that I don't want inside the car or something that is too tall/large to fit in the back of the V. 26 mpg around town in the V sure beats 13 mpg the p/u's I had got and the trailer will haul/carry just about anything I've ever carried in a p/u.(y)

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
522 Posts
I'm unable to see your pic.

If the '15 CVT is like the '17 CVT, those 2 lines have engine coolant flowing to/from the so called "warmer", not tranny fluid. Not sure what that so called "warmer" does. In cold ambients, tranny fluid takes a long time/plenty of driving to reach +/-160F. In hot ambients, the CVT fluid will easily run 30*+ above engine coolant temp. I have seen 40*+ above engine coolant temp......not towing.:eek:
I see that now it must have a gasket with 2 holes for the cvt fluid to run through the warmer/cooler heat exchange, it could be done but a lot of fabricating or maybe Honda has a towing version, I know on a regular transmission 40F above coolant temp. like 240F would greatly shorten the life of the trans.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I see that now it must have a gasket with 2 holes for the cvt fluid to run through the warmer/cooler heat exchange, it could be done but a lot of fabricating or maybe Honda has a towing version, I know on a regular transmission 40F above coolant temp. like 240F would greatly shorten the life of the trans.
I believe there is an aftermarket device that attaches to the factory "warmer". The device adds 2 more tubes that do carry tranny fluid in/out. Obviously the 2 additional tubes on the aftermarket device provide the tranny fluid in/out points where a traditional secondary/auxiliary cooler would be connected.

If I were to persue that aftermarket device, I would "loop" the engine coolant lines so that engine coolant would no longer flow to the so-called "warmer". In monitoring the CRV tranny fluid temp, I do not see cold tranny fluid temps rising any faster than any other traditional auto trannies, in which I have monitored tranny fluid temps. In all of the auto trannies that I have monitored, cold tranny fluid temp rises very, very slowly, compared to engine coolant temp. Again, not sure what that Honda so-called "warmer" does.

In other countries, the Honda CVT has 2 metal (in/out) tranny fluid tubes on top of the CVT. The tubes are connected by a rubber hose from the factory, making a tranny fluid "loop". Honda also provides (in other countries) an optional, but available, stacked plate tranny fluid cooler, similar to the cooler in your pic above. USA gets robbed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After reading these comments I have a question. I have a 2006 CR-V AWD and I was wanting to have a tow bar attached in order to haul mulch from 2 miles back to my house with a small trailer. Also I would use it to pick up and drive tree limbs to the burn pile. I need to know if the hauling mulch idea is going to be detrimental to the vehicle in the long term and therefore there would be no need to have a tow bar put on. The car has approximately 90,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
How heavy is the trailer and how heavy is the mulch you want to haul? If the total of the trailer weight and the weight of the mulch is 1,500 lbs or less then you'll be fine.

Your Owners Manual has the following information in the Maintenance Schedule section:

U.S. Owners - Follow the
maintenance schedule for severe
conditions if you drive your vehicle
MAINLY under one or more of the
following conditions:

- Trailer towing, driving with a
loaded roof rack, or driving in
mountainous conditions.

If you're doing a lot of towing in a short period of time then I'd shift to the Severe schedule during that time, and shift back to the Normal schedule the rest of the time. Of course that assumes that your regular use of your CR-V meets the definition of "normal" that Honda describes in the Owners Manual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts