Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of getting 2 sets of tires/rims, Im considering buying a set of Toyo Celsius CUV All weather tires in 235-60-18 on factory rims. Consumer Reports did a test and said they were better than some dedicated winter tires. Theyre quoted as having a 60,000 mile tread wear warranty but i would assume like most things thats an embellishment.

So i guess i have 2 questions. Does anyone have experience with these tires and what do i do with the factory Bridgestones? They would have less than 600 miles on them. Slap them on Craigslist and hope for the best or is there an easier alternative? Looks like the Toyos run about $150 each shipped from preliminary pricing.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had Toyo winter tires before and they were great. The only problem was that they were very loud.

I don’t have any experience with the Celsius but you may want to check how quiet they are on dry pavement.

If you do for them I would just sell the Ecopias, no need to keep a whole extra set of tires.

You may also want to check out Michelin. They also have an all weather tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had Toyo winter tires before and they were great. The only problem was that they were very loud.

I don’t have any experience with the Celsius but you may want to check how quiet they are on dry pavement.

If you do for them I would just sell the Ecopias, no need to keep a whole extra set of tires.

You may also want to check out Michelin. They also have an all weather tire.

Interesting, i did not know Michelin made an all weather tire. I'll have to check that out. I currently have the Michelin X-ice XI3s on my other car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Any tire is a compromise. Even on the expensive end of the buying spectrum.

If you already have Michelin X-ice on your other car you must live in an area where dedicated snow tires make sense. There are enough people around that hate the OEM wheels that they are bound to be available and, providing you have storage space, you can get lots more wear out of each set and more safety in winter and comfort in the summer by going with two sets of mounted tires.

I totaled a Porsche by having the wrong tires on the car for the time of year. Good tread, just no grip even on a day when there was no snow, just glare ice I didn't see.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Interesting, i did not know Michelin made an all weather tire. I'll have to check that out. I currently have the Michelin X-ice XI3s on my other car.
It’s called the Michelin Premier A/S.

I have Michelin X-Ice Xi3 on my ‘17 CR-V and they are very quiet and work great the in the snow.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s called the Michelin Premier A/S.

I have Michelin X-Ice Xi3 on my ‘17 CR-V and they are very quiet and work great the in the snow.

The X ice 3s fit our CR-Vs? When I tried to build that it was unavailable online and I was steered towards the X ice 2s.

I live in St Louis which doesn’t require a winter tire 99% of the time. I got caught last year in an ice storm that spooked me enough to get my Michelin X ice on my C Max.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It only takes once. Day after Thanksgiving in the DC area which normally doesn't get cold until late December and can go several years between snows or suddenly have a 8 incher that paralyzes the city. All seasons "rubber" is just not as flexible in the cold as are true winter tires. So the almost microscopic irregularities in the tread area that you can't even feel aren't there to provide traction. That "rubber" is one reason why winter tires don't wear as well as summer tires. But consider the alternatives. $500 for tires (plus wheels, of course) versus $5,000 for repairs and increased insurance costs for several years. And some of that tire cost is offset by the longer you run the summer tires because they don't get maybe 3/12ths the wear.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The X ice 3s fit our CR-Vs? When I tried to build that it was unavailable online and I was steered towards the X ice 2s.

I live in St Louis which doesn’t require a winter tire 99% of the time. I got caught last year in an ice storm that spooked me enough to get my Michelin X ice on my C Max.
Sorry, you are right, they are X-ice 2 and not 3.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It only takes once. Day after Thanksgiving in the DC area which normally doesn't get cold until late December and can go several years between snows or suddenly have a 8 incher that paralyzes the city. All seasons "rubber" is just not as flexible in the cold as are true winter tires. So the almost microscopic irregularities in the tread area that you can't even feel aren't there to provide traction. That "rubber" is one reason why winter tires don't wear as well as summer tires. But consider the alternatives. $500 for tires (plus wheels, of course) versus $5,000 for repairs and increased insurance costs for several years. And some of that tire cost is offset by the longer you run the summer tires because they don't get maybe 3/12ths the wear.
Yeah we have a major hill to get into our subdivision which is the only way in. During that freak ice storm last year there were about 7 vehicles at the base of the hill stranded leaving people to walk up. Im not sure our new AWD CR-V with winter tires would make it, but might as well set it up for success best i can.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a chance the other night to try out the Continental WinterContact SI tires on some pretty greasy snow on the way to a play. The CRV did excellent in acceleration, braking, and cornering in the 3" of unplowed snow. The debate will always be there, but in my 30+years of driving in severe winter conditions, I have never had second thoughts about equipping my vehicles with winter tires.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So did you go with Celsius tires? I'm thinking about doing the same in July with our new 18 Touring CR-V. Hankook originals can go on granddaughter's Jeep that needs new tires.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So did you go with Celsius tires? I'm thinking about doing the same in July with our new 18 Touring CR-V. Hankook originals can go on granddaughter's Jeep that needs new tires.
I think im going to just get a spare set of 17'' Honda wheels and put Michelin X ice 2s on them. I hope to have all that done in the next 4 weeks. Going to buy the wheels tonight.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think im going to just get a spare set of 17'' Honda wheels and put Michelin X ice 2s on them. I hope to have all that done in the next 4 weeks. Going to buy the wheels tonight.
I have Michelin X ice 2's on my 2017 crv for winter - I hate these tires groves are very narrow and they easily fill up with snow and handling is terrible once that happens. I would go with bridgestone Blizzak instead if I was buying them again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Blizzaks have only 55% snow compound, then it 45% all season tire.

Waste of money, IMHO.
Do you have any experience with the Michelin X Ice 2s?? I have the X Ice 3's on my Ford C Max and i like them. Full disclosure though Im a winter newb and got them more for piece of mind vs actual need. The wife and I got stuck in a freak snow/ ice storm coming home from work a few years ago. I like the thoughts of running winter tires and extending the life of the all seasons. Should come out roughly the same when its all taken into account.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have Michelin X ice 2's on my 2017 crv for winter - I hate these tires groves are very narrow and they easily fill up with snow and handling is terrible once that happens. I would go with bridgestone Blizzak instead if I was buying them again.
if you can afford something better..get the Michelin X ice......forget the blizzaks....have a set on my Tucson and they are not good ,,,,have bridge stones on my CRV and cant wait till they wear out and get something better

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a set of X-ice on my 17 CRV and they work great in the winter. Put them on a set of black steel rims and just do the switch yourself before snow falls and save some money.

Blizzard wear out too quickly in my experience.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a set of X-ice on my 17 CRV and they work great in the winter. Put them on a set of black steel rims and just do the switch yourself before snow falls and save some money.

Blizzard wear out too quickly in my experience.

Blizzaks not blizzard. Damn autocorrect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts