Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First time poster here, and I promise that I have read all over the forums looking for a similar issue. (Alas,my 2016 SE won't take the Airplay update!)

A week ago, my TMPS light came on while driving home about ten minutes on the highway in very hot (97 or so) weather. I let the car cool down and checked all the pressures, which seemed fine (32-33). I put everything at 33 and reset the calibration. I drove around for a week with no problems.

Today, doing the same thing (slightly cooler, about 94 degrees), the light came back on at almost exactly the same spot. I checked the pressures, which were 35.5-36. Due to a tornado warning, I didn't want to drive all the way back across town to the dealer, so I took it to a local tire place, which confirmed the tires were all at the right pressure and didn't see any signs of damage. He reset the light and, after the storm passed, I drove home.

I bought the car certified pre-owned from Honda back in fall 2019 and almost immediately had to replace two of the four new tires (nail), but otherwise it's just been standard maintenance, just shy of 36,000 miles.

I've actually driven longer on highways in hot weather this past week, and nothing happened, so I thought this was a one-time fluke, but twice in a week is not so flukey. A bad sensor is a possibility--but wouldn't that go off at other times? And it doesn't seem like 35-36 psi is enough to trigger a high pressure alert, even if there is one.

I'm open to any ideas people have, and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Was it parked with only one side exposed to direct sunlight? As this TPMS system has no real sensors but simply counts wheel revolutions and triggers an alert when one (or two) tires are rotating at a different rate than the others. Exposure to intense sunlight could, I suppose, create enough of a pressure imbalance to do just that.

Or, have you had tire work (e.g. rotation) done recently? If so, you need to reset the monitor and give it some time to recalibrate. If you don’t, an alert could result.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually did have the tires rotated as part of an oil change about a month ago, but we had a long road trip in the middle without anything coming on. And even if they didn't recalibrate them after that, I did so myself after the light came on last week. (Refilled, reset, drove for like 40 straight minutes.)

Two of the tires were more in the sun, but the pressure in both front tires was a tiny bit higher than in the back two. I wonder if it's heat from the road affecting it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The water temperature warning light on the dashboard of the car is on, it may be that the vehicle lacks antifreeze, and the water temperature light will alert you. Another problem is that the water temperature of the engine is too high, and the water temperature light will also alarm, and then the cooling fan is faulty or fails to work, and the thermostat is damaged.
The temperature light isn't on, just the TPMS light. I suppose it's possible that if the temperature gauge is off, it won't read the tire sensors properly, but I haven't seen any sign of that being broken.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,947 Posts
I actually did have the tires rotated as part of an oil change about a month ago, but we had a long road trip in the middle without anything coming on. And even if they didn't recalibrate them after that, I did so myself after the light came on last week. (Refilled, reset, drove for like 40 straight minutes.)

Two of the tires were more in the sun, but the pressure in both front tires was a tiny bit higher than in the back two. I wonder if it's heat from the road affecting it?
It is not a tire pressure monitor, it is a differential wheel speed monitor. It infers a possible low pressure in one or more tires when it sees one wheel spinning at a different speed than the others and it has 6-8 psi of hysteresis in the software that process the sensor readings (so it is not super sensitive to normal changes in tire pressure from driving and ambient weather).

Since TPMS relies on the feedback from the wheel rotation sensors... it could be you have a flaky sensor on one wheel (there have been a few instances of this reported in forum discussion, so it is worth checking into). Sometimes though it is triggered simply by an odd traction event where one wheel slips on the road surface while the others are unaffected.

Tire pressure difference in the indirect TPMS used by Honda now days will not trigger a TPMS alert until there is ~ 6-8 psi differential in at least one wheel from the others. The system is designed to alert you when you have a tire low enough in pressure that driving on it may damage the tire or cause other driving safety issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! The differential among the four tires was much smaller than that (+/- 1 psi, the front slightly higher than the back). There was a bigger difference between the cold temps and the hot temps (33 to 36 psi), so I wonder if that could set it off? There is a very slight difference in age among the tires, but I don't think it would be enough to trigger the alert--maybe at higher (65 mph) speeds on a super hot day?

The sensor problem seems most likely to me, but it's just weird that it's only gone off twice, both times in the same conditions in the same place. I feel like if it were a sensor, it would go off more frequently, but maybe not. (I've seen the same occasional posts about the sensors, but I've also seen the hypothesis that the ABS lights are on the same system and are more sensitive.)

I'm guessing the dealer would do a better, if more expensive, job of testing the sensors than a tire place.

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX-L
147 Posts
I live in a hot climate and yes....the TPMS light will come on from time to time, so I just check the tire pressure in each tire and ensure equal pressure.

·
Premium Member
9,947 Posts
Thanks! The differential among the four tires was much smaller than that (+/- 1 psi, the front slightly higher than the back). There was a bigger difference between the cold temps and the hot temps (33 to 36 psi), so I wonder if that could set it off? There is a very slight difference in age among the tires, but I don't think it would be enough to trigger the alert--maybe at higher (65 mph) speeds on a super hot day?

The sensor problem seems most likely to me, but it's just weird that it's only gone off twice, both times in the same conditions in the same place. I feel like if it were a sensor, it would go off more frequently, but maybe not. (I've seen the same occasional posts about the sensors, but I've also seen the hypothesis that the ABS lights are on the same system and are more sensitive.)

I'm guessing the dealer would do a better, if more expensive, job of testing the sensors than a tire place.
Since the TPMS system measures relative rotation speeds between the different wheels, temperature should not matter as all the tires are exposed to the same ambient conditions.

As for seeking further analysis by a dealership... I would wait until the problem is chronic. The difficulty with systems like this being intermittent is they usually refuse to present themselves while your vehicle is at the dealership. Which means you will be charged a diagnostic fee, and they find nothing and then tell you to bring it back if it repeats.

A better next step would be to get a readout of any stored OBDII codes and see if there are any error codes that can help localize the cause (there may or may not be). Note: You need an OBDII reader that reads not only generic codes but also Honda specific OBDII codes. Personally, with these modern vehicles I feel all owners should invest in an OBDII code reader, and in my view BlueDriver (~$120 at Amazon) is the best of the bunch, but there are many to choose from. Just be sure you invest in one that can read Honda specific codes if you decide to invest.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since the TPMS system measures relative rotation speeds between the different wheels, temperature should not matter as all the tires are exposed to the same ambient conditions.

As for seeking further analysis by a dealership... I would wait until the problem is chronic. The difficulty with systems like this being intermittent is they usually refuse to present themselves while your vehicle is at the dealership. Which means you will be charged a diagnostic fee, and they find nothing and then tell you to bring it back if it repeats.

A better next step would be to get a readout of any stored OBDII codes and see if there are any error codes that can help localize the cause (there may or may not be). Note: You need an OBDII reader that reads not only generic codes but also Honda specific OBDII codes. Personally, with these modern vehicles I feel all owners should invest in an OBDII code reader, and in my view BlueDriver (~$120 at Amazon) is the best of the bunch, but there are many to choose from. Just be sure you invest in one that can read Honda specific codes if you decide to invest.
Thanks for all of the suggestions -- and Bassett, thanks for letting me know I am not alone.

Someone had told me that they can't pull the code once I refresh the TPMS, which is why I had wanted to get to the dealer this past time . . . but not badly enough to risk driving through a tornado!

I do wonder whether the alert is triggered only by differential among the four tires, or if it can also be triggered by one tire varying widely enough from its "calibrated" reading. I still think the faulty sensor is the most likely, but it just seems weird that it is so, so specific in the conditions that cause it: Both times it happened in the relatively short exit lane on the highway.

·
Premium Member
9,947 Posts
I do wonder whether the alert is triggered only by differential among the four tires, or if it can also be triggered by one tire varying widely enough from its "calibrated" reading.
Only if a tire has some sort of defect in it (which you can usually hear as odd tire noise at speed), or if you have mismatched (not all the same brand, model, and roughly the same treadwear) tires on the vehicle.

I do wonder whether the alert is triggered only by differential among the four tires, or if it can also be triggered by one tire varying widely enough from its "calibrated" reading. I still think the faulty sensor is the most likely, but it just seems weird that it is so, so specific in the conditions that cause it: Both times it happened in the relatively short exit lane on the highway.
If it never happens except on that one exit, I suspect there is something funky with that exit that is causing one or more tires to slip or something. In other words, nothing to fix, except maybe avoid that exit. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But it's my exit!

Anyway it happened again this morning in another spot on the highway. Definitely not as hot out, but I had been driving for longer. When I got home, I checked all the tires, which were 37, 36.5, 36, 36.5. (I'd calibrated them all at 32.5 the last time, a bit lower than the recommended 33 in order to give a bit more room for highway driving in high heat.) The gauge is imperfect, but there's still no sign of a loss of pressure anywhere.

The tires are all the same make/model. Two of them are slightly older, but only by a matter of months.

It's state inspection month, so I may as well bring it by the dealer and have it checked. Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll post anything useful I find out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All tires are the same make/model, although a couple of weeks after I bought it, I drove over a nail on our street (neighbors were doing construction). I replaced that pair of tires (front, I think). Even though it was AWD, the dealer said it was okay to just replace two of them.

The DOT: 1218 and 3219.

What was odd is that only two of the tires--one front and one rear--had the date. The others had a blank oval. Weird.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I took it to the dealer, but didn't really learn anything. They said there's no information available from the light going off, so they just did a hard reset on the TPMS calibration.

They said the sidewall decay was only moderate and not at fault. They said that the tire depths were different (6/32 and 7/32 in the front, 8/32 and 7/32 in the back) but that those differences were okay and also would not cause the pressure sensor to go off. (Maybe the 6/32 v 8/32 when the pressure increases?)

They also said that they took it on the highway and were unable to replicate the problem, but there were only a few miles on the odometer above when I brought it in, so I don't have much confidence in that, either.

Watch and wait, I guess. Thanks to everyone for the help. I'll cross my fingers that the hard reset did it, but I'm doubtful.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

First time poster here, and I promise that I have read all over the forums looking for a similar issue. (Alas,my 2016 SE won't take the Airplay update!)

A week ago, my TMPS light came on while driving home about ten minutes on the highway in very hot (97 or so) weather. I let the car cool down and checked all the pressures, which seemed fine (32-33). I put everything at 33 and reset the calibration. I drove around for a week with no problems.

Today, doing the same thing (slightly cooler, about 94 degrees), the light came back on at almost exactly the same spot. I checked the pressures, which were 35.5-36. Due to a tornado warning, I didn't want to drive all the way back across town to the dealer, so I took it to a local tire place, which confirmed the tires were all at the right pressure and didn't see any signs of damage. He reset the light and, after the storm passed, I drove home.

I bought the car certified pre-owned from Honda back in fall 2019 and almost immediately had to replace two of the four new tires (nail), but otherwise it's just been standard maintenance, just shy of 36,000 miles.

I've actually driven longer on highways in hot weather this past week, and nothing happened, so I thought this was a one-time fluke, but twice in a week is not so flukey. A bad sensor is a possibility--but wouldn't that go off at other times? And it doesn't seem like 35-36 psi is enough to trigger a high pressure alert, even if there is one.

I'm open to any ideas people have, and thanks in advance!
I have a similar situation. Bought a year old 21 CRV which needed a tire replaced (by dealer).
It's been 2 months and I can't get the TPMS light off.
The dealer said these cars are very sensitive and if you have 1 tire with different tread; that could trigger it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I believe it, and in fact I suspect that the 6/32 vs 8/32 gap on one side makes it pretty darn likely (especially when the pressure increases in the heat and highway driving).

I just wish I'd get something like that kind of honest reply!

·
Premium Member
9,947 Posts
I believe it, and in fact I suspect that the 6/32 vs 8/32 gap on one side makes it pretty darn likely (especially when the pressure increases in the heat and highway driving).

I just wish I'd get something like that kind of honest reply!
I have driven recent model Hondas with this sort of tread difference with no TPMS issues. As long as the tires are alll the same brand and model (because it is the tread pattern that apparently is the most important variable besides the road surface) that should not cause an issue.

·
Premium Member
9,947 Posts
I have a similar situation. Bought a year old 21 CRV which needed a tire replaced (by dealer).
It's been 2 months and I can't get the TPMS light off.
The dealer said these cars are very sensitive and if you have 1 tire with different tread; that could trigger it.
Was the replacement tire not the same brand, model, and size tire? If not then yes that will be an issue.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts