Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting quotes on winter tires and considering dropping from 18" to 17" for winter rims / tires. One dealer said if changing tire size then a TPMS adjustment charge would need to be added to the install and when they are swapped in the spring. Another dealer said that is not correct as one can do the TPMS adjustment in the settings on the in car display.

Comments on TPMS and changing wheel size?

·
Registered
47 Posts
TPMS calibration can be done in-vehicle, so I don't think the dealer is correct.

SETTINGS -> VEHICLE -> TPMS CALIBRATION -> CALIBRATE

I made the switch to a smaller rim / beefier tire on my wife's Explorer (the damn thing came with 20s from the factory - went to 17s with a thicker tire and it worked out well).

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The first dealer either has no idea what they are talking about or is looking for any excuse to pad the bill. The appropriate function takes about 30 seconds to run.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was getting quotes on winter tires and considering dropping from 18" to 17" for winter rims / tires. One dealer said if changing tire size then a TPMS adjustment charge would need to be added to the install and when they are swapped in the spring. Another dealer said that is not correct as one can do the TPMS adjustment in the settings on the in car display.

Comments on TPMS and changing wheel size?
Your dealer is not being deceitful. They are following the service manual recommendation. There is a function in the Honda service computer to adjust the indirect tpms threshold for different size wheels. Larger wheels with shorter tire sidewall height will have a different relationship to changes in rotational speed to changes in pressure loss.

I would skip this service as it doesn't make financial sense to pay for it every winter/summer season. Just realize that the tpms light may be more sensitive to being triggered (false positives).

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/crv/2017/19inchwheels.pdf

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts