Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. So my mom bought a certified pre-owned 2015 CR-V LX last year. It's still under the normal factory warranty and she purchased an extended one.

She's been having issues with the TPMS light coming on. When we check the tire pressure when cold they are spot on where I left them last, with one having an extra pound or two I believe. We took it to Discount Tire on one time and was told it may have come on due to it being so hot and the air inside expanding. 3 of the tires have nitrous from the dealer, the fourth one has regular air since she had to get a replacement tire (thorn in the side wall).

In doing some research, the system on this model doesn't actually monitor tire pressure but monitors speed and other stuff. I'm assuming this means it SHOULD be covered under the regular warrant. I was worried the 1st generation system wouldn't be covered since tires get changed and everything. Do I need to make an appointment with the dealer and have them look at it or is there anything we should do first?

In all honestly, I don't trust the dealer that she bought it from (many different reasons). They're an hour from me but the next closest one is about 2.5 hours away. Since this is probably covered under warranty should I have to worry about them leading me the wrong way or would they just fix it since Honda should pay them?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My solution (which I actually do):
1. Buy a $10 tire gauge
2. If TPMS light comes on, do a round check of pressures
3. If no issues, reset TPMS and continue on your merry way.

I've had mine go off a few times. Never had an issue with the actual pressures, so I just reset it and keep going (I'm assuming the LX model has a TPMS reset button somewhere)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. We've been doing that but it seems there is an issue with the system. I kept searching and came across a 17 page thread I'm reading through right now about this issue. I guess I could skip to page 17 and see how it all turns out.

I'm not one to rely on lights, but being that it's under warranty, and it's my mom's car, I'd like to make sure it's fixed. I guess it can come in handy if you're driving down the highway, hit a nail, and slowly start to lose air.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It depends how frequently it happens. I've had mine go off about 3-4 times in the 2 years I've owned it, so it's not really a big deal for me. If you equalize your tire pressures and it's still going off very frequently, then it might be something to look into.

·
Registered
28 Posts
which light is this?… TPMS (text) or the other (low tire pressure) light

Now which light is this?… TPMS (text) or the other (low tire pressure) light. My car is 2012 CRV (gen4) and my TPMS (text) comes on randomly few times a year and then turns off by itself… During driving. It’s happening since day one. Something is intermittent but somehow its turning off. When it was under warranty I went to dealer and asked them to diagnose and fix…they said that they only can diagnose warn the TPMS light is on… By the time I wanted to go dealer light always tuned off… I don’t know what will happen if the light stays on all the time… But seems that noting is effected... most of the time that light is OFF or normal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't believe it's the text. I believe starting 2014 they used a different system. I think there's only 1 warning light in this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I have a 2014 and am part of that very long TPMS thread. After some fixes done with updates, I now don't have any problem with this. Anytime my tires are rotated or the air pressure checked/added, I push the recalibrate button. A couple of times it came on when I forgot to recalibrate. Now it only comes on when I pick up a nail. Hope this helps.

PS We only have the one warning light.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You are right, I just checked 2014 CRV owners manual... they have combined both indicators in one. Mine 2012 doesn't have any calibration button ether. I wonder if other 2012 CRV owners have the same intermittent TPMS warning problem as my 2012 CRV? Matter effect last Sunday My TMPS light came on again and stayed for maybe 20 min and turned off while I was driving on the freeway?? (Last time it happened maybe 3-4 months ago) Why its acting like that since day one I don't know...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Up thru 2013, the CRV used individual wheel mounted transmitters to measure pressure, and sent that data via 315mhz to a central receiver for processing. But it's a very low power and periodic transmission per sensor, as they run on a coin cell battery (for up to 10 years!). Transmissions and reception is periodically missed as a lot of other transmissions in the airwaves can interfere. Police radios and other things operate in a similar space and have been known to mess with TPMS. Because of this, the system will respond instantly to a tire transmission that includes warning data (elevated temperature, low pressure, low battery, etc.), but is designed to suppress responding to a LACK of data (blocked reception) for up to 20 minutes.

Your occasional light could be from a lack of data due to where you drive, or it could be from a bad sensor that doesn't wake up and transmit on a regular schedule, or it could be transmitting warning data (like low battery) or false data (it's pressure transducer is messed up). Without having the real code read out, it's hard to say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some phone chargers if plugged into the front port will interfere with the signal to the tpms module located just ahead of the port in the dash. We get this issue several times a month in our dlr. Try plugging into the console port. It will take several miles of driving to put the light out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. We just have the USB cable plugged into the USB line aux input. Will this still cause the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
The non-tpms transmitter models (2014 up) use the wheel rotate computer model to see calculate the air pressure difference - on the same axle the wheels need to be the same size - 4000 mile difference in tread will set it off until you recalibrate the TPMS computer model with the button and then it will hold until another 32nd of wear occurs causing the math to think there is an air pressure difference.

It actually uses the sensors for the anti-lock brakes to detect the wheel rotation time. Once the straight path wheels are off by one tick for about 32 wheel rotations the TPMS warning goes off. There are "math" involved when the wheels are turned to compensate for the tick ( sensor detector sees the next bump in the tooth in the ABS sensor ) Some systems have 36 to 128 teeth in the wheel sensor - don't know how many the CR-V has.

I cannot see where tires with Nitrogen (it is about 92% nitrogen from a "Green Machine Nitrogen System" vs air - which is already 78% nitrogen) would make any difference. Nitrogen is just a money making lie. Honda has tech bulletins to say that as well. 14% difference in Nitrogen is about 4 ounces in tire weight. NASCAR where speed is crazy fast can see an advantage as it expands a little slower over 500 miles but no street car can.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are 2 different tires on there from when the CR-V was first purchased a year ago. One there was a thorn on the sidewall and we had it replaced at Honda with the same model of tire. Another time there was a screw in the sidewall, this was replaced with a different brand, same size, at Discount Tire.

The nitrogen was put in by Honda. ��

Whenever we reset it it'll come on within days, especially with highway driving. How hard would it be to take all the nitrogen out and just keep air. I doubt that's the issue but just to be all on the same page? Maybe one is expanding a little faster when driving due to either no nitrogen in one or a mix of the nitrogen and regular air that I filled it? Is it just an issue of me standing there letting all the air out and pumping it back up?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ding ding ding! It's the oddball tire!

There are actually 3 TPMS systems. Prior to the Direct Sensor systems of around 2007 (every mfgr changed over +/- 1-2 years), there was an indirect reading system that only used wheel rotation data (as LarryR described in post 13 above). Tire sizes are set by two organizations (ETRTO or TRA), but they aren't identical. Further, each tire manufacture has some leeway in how they spec, so rolling diameter of two models even within the same brand may not be identical. That would be enough to probably throw a warning. But the old wheel speed system could be tricked if all tires were uniformly low, as they'd all roll at the same.

The NEW Indirect system is much more sophisticated. It uses the yaw, pitch and steering angle sensors and some pretty elaborate algorithms to determine if one or more tires with low pressure is impacting vehicle handling. It's not as fast responding as a direct system, but it's miles ahead of the old indirect method. It can detect the minute shimmy in the sidewall of the tires that changes with tire pressure.

As different model tires have different construction and thus different baseline handling conditions (along with a difference in rolling diameter), I'll bet your system is totally confused. You do a straight-line calibration and it gets pretty uniform data with one tire rotating slightly fast or slow, then enter a turn and it also sees a tire that appears to handle abnormally. If you could query it, I'll bet it's zeroing in on your odd tire.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Honda does not put in Nitrogen, your Honda dealer did.

If you have a new tire on the car and did not replace both tires on the axle - you never will get rid of the TPMS light - the wheels have to be the same size and make for the system to work or else the computer sees an issue - thus the TPMS Light will come on every time the tires shrink from useage and you have to reset the system.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I have the 2 wheel drive EXL. I replaced just one tire and 15000 miles with no problems. I'll never own a AWD because of the tire mismatch problem. Non repairable flat tires seem to happen. I've had 2 in the last 5 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i used to have this same question, what worked for me, was to calibrate the tires and just after that reset the TPMS and the light went off. Now be sure to check for nails on your tires, maybe you have a slow leak.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
152 Posts
Interesting...I purchased a certified 2016 EX-L about 5 weeks ago that had new tires put on by the dealership during the certification process. Within the first 150 miles the TPMS light came on. I reviewed both the owner's manual as well as the internet for possible issues/solutions. There was a range of less than 2 pounds when checking all four tires. I added air as needed to even this out. Reset the TPMS and it came back on twice over the next 50 or so miles. Now roughly 1,300 miles later it hasn't happened again. Just wanted to pass on my experience.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts