Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put new tires on our CRV back in August (08 EXL, 130K). No issues with the TPMS sensors. This week with the change in temp, not unexpectedly got low tire readings due to it being in the low 30's in the morning. Added air to bring them back up to 30 PSI. A few days later the TPMS light (not the low pressure light) comes on on the dash. The manual says flat tire or issue with TPMS and to take in for service. My thought is that one of the sensors has died and needs replaced. How can I troubleshoot this so I know what sensor has gone or to see what other issue there may be with the TPMS?

Thanks,

·
Registered
868 Posts
You can't. Takes special equipment. These little devils don't do anything until 'woken up' by rotation. Tools are available to turn them on magnetically and check transmission. Is your error light on all the time now?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The TPMS light is on constant now. The low tire pressure symbol is not on. All tires are at 30PSI

·
Registered
868 Posts
As you initially mentioned, one or more of your TPM valve must be the problem. I don't see any alternative to taking it to your dealer or other service place where they have the proper equipment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Thanks. I may just bite the bullet and get all 4 replaced. If one has died after 8 yrs, the others are probably not far along.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spoke with my local dealership, they told me that they would have to order new sensors, (50 ea) and 200 to install so I am at 400 plus tax out the door. Ordered new sensors from Majestic Honda for 22 each and Discount Tire (where I bought tires) will install and program for free.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Install for free? That's amazing. Great service from your Discount Tire place. Hope they do a good job with the programming.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked them 3 times and they guy said free. May take them a couple pizzas. Ordered Honda sensors so hopefully it is not too big a deal. They replaced one on a Buick I own back in August and programmed it without issue. Sensors are here tomorrow. Appointment is set to have them installed on Friday.

Purchased 3 sets of tires in 8 weeks from these guys. Sucks having to lay out all that cash, but they treated me right and gave me great pricing. Too bad they don't do alignments...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Personally, I would have pulled the fuse (#40 on a 2013) and started doing what I've done for the last 57 years - open my eyes and take a peek once in a while. Craig

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Personally, I would have pulled the fuse (#40 on a 2013) and started doing what I've done for the last 57 years - open my eyes and take a peek once in a while. Craig
Hey, why didn’t I think of that. My winters don’t have sensors so I just ignore the TPMS light all winter!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I thought disabling the TPMS also disables the stability control? Anyway, problems like this are why I'm contemplating buying a Honda HDS diagnostic system clone for a few bucks as it talks to the computer and has TPMS functions. Unfortunately it looks like no one around here has any purchase experience with them and although it's not a ton of cash I still would like to know they work.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It may very well do that, but I usually drive with all 4 wheels on the ground so stability control is meaningless. Yet another of those "innovations" that cost money, but are pointless IMO. Today's cars are full of this BS. Craig

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree in that I'm also not really a fan of a lot of the gadgets in modern vehicles (that lane change warning would probably drive me nuts), but I've appreciated stability control since it helped me during a snowy weather panic situation (deer ran out in front of cars ahead of me and they hit each other, I was able to swerve around them) and while I could get by without it I would never let my wife drive with it disabled. You don't need to be an aggressive driver to benefit from that feature. I also like the TPMS in principle though the implementation using sensors inside the tire seems prone to problems and makes swapping seasonal tires a pain. Of course you can visually inspect your tire pressure, but really who walks around their car every time you get in it?

But by and large I do feel that most of this high tech wizardry will not be as reliable in the long run as the mechanical parts of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
But by and large I do feel that most of this high tech wizardry will not be as reliable in the long run as the mechanical parts of the vehicle.
I agree with you here. I wish they still made cars simple without all the gadgets. We won't have to worry about mechanical issues for a long time, however, we're going to worry about some gadget failing and being ridiculously expensive to fix.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Spoke with my local dealership, they told me that they would have to order new sensors, (50 ea) and 200 to install so I am at 400 plus tax out the door. Ordered new sensors from Majestic Honda for 22 each and Discount Tire (where I bought tires) will install and program for free.
Wow, that's a lot of money! I'm glad DT is hooking you up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I have 2008 Honda CRV.
A month ago, my TPMS light was on, and then I went to F*******E to reset it.
Two weeks later, the light was on (again) after driving 15 miles from home. Therefore, I went to F*******E to reset it (again).
Same story, the light was on (again) after driving 15 miles from home. Therefore, I went to F*******E to reset it (again).
Another story, the light was on (again) after driving 15 miles from home. Therefore, this morning, I went to F*******E (again) to reset it.
But this time they said that the right rear sensor was bad and needed to replace. After replaced it, no luck, TPMS light still on. They believe the car’s computer not yet recognized the new sensor. Since they do not have the tools, they told me to go to Honda Dealership to reset it.
Can somebody help me to solve this problem?

·
Registered
46 Posts
the TPMS HAS SAVED ME 2 REAR TIRES ON MY 17 911.,,THESE TIRES ARE $400 EACH,,THE honda goes off on occasion if the pressure fluctuates more than 5 psi, i check tires, if ok just recalibrate the system

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Put new tires on our CRV back in August (08 EXL, 130K). No issues with the TPMS sensors. This week with the change in temp, not unexpectedly got low tire readings due to it being in the low 30's in the morning. Added air to bring them back up to 30 PSI. A few days later the TPMS light (not the low pressure light) comes on on the dash. The manual says flat tire or issue with TPMS and to take in for service. My thought is that one of the sensors has died and needs replaced. How can I troubleshoot this so I know what sensor has gone or to see what other issue there may be with the TPMS?

Thanks,
Old thread, but to quote and comment on the original post......

When you put new tires on, also have the TPMS valve assemblies R&R'ed. I would be surprised if the place that put new tires on does not insist they be R&R'ed. In my experience the cost is about $8 per sensor.. for new battery and confirming function.

All that said.. this is why the passive TPMS system in the new Hondas is superior... no TPMS parts in the tire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts