Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, just added a 2016 CRV EX with only 30K miles, precertified.
The TPMS light came on on day one so I pulled over and all four tires had 36 Lbs.
I did reset the system and while driving at over 55 for about 10 minutes the light came back again, did the reset again.
Light comes back every few days.

Tires were balanced again, one tire was replaced about 6 months ago. The dealership is telling me that there there's no way to check the TPMS. He stated that because two tires were replaced in the last 6K miles (in the front now) that that might be the issue. The stated that even though the tires are the same thread and brand that, that might be the issue. And that I might have to replace the entire set of tires.

What do you guys think?

Also unrelated, I noticed a vibration at 65 MPH, and it gets worse as go up on speed. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
510 Posts
For me it usually takes 4 to 5 calibration before it settles down. I swap out summer and winter tires yearly. But make sure you are not losing pressure in the first place. I had to tweak the pressure so they are exactly to the point, even 1 psi off it still give a warning. 32psi when cold. Also winter temp and summer temp throws a warning to for me.

·
Registered
711 Posts
1st there is no TPMS sensor - the anti-lock brake sensor detects the wheel spin difference on the wheel set (front set, rear set) and if the rotation is not the same it sets the TPMS light.

You have to replace both tires in a set to keep the TPMS computer algorithm happy - the owners manual says so. New tires wear faster than old tires. Tire truing ( where the scrape off the difference in size ) is one option but I dislike that.

Rotation the tires front to rear and rear to front sometimes makes the TPMS less sensitive - it can make it worse.

It sounds like one of your tires is not balanced properly causing the vibration and possibly the false TPMS.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st there is no TPMS sensor - the anti-lock brake sensor detects the wheel spin difference on the wheel set (front set, rear set) and if the rotation is not the same it sets the TPMS light.

You have to replace both tires in a set to keep the TPMS computer algorithm happy - the owners manual says so. New tires wear faster than old tires. Tire truing ( where the scrape off the difference in size ) is one option but I dislike that.

Rotation the tires front to rear and rear to front sometimes makes the TPMS less sensitive - it can make it worse.

It sounds like one of your tires is not balanced properly causing the vibration and possibly the false TPMS.
Thanks for the heads up and that good info.
They re-balanced the tires yesterday so I'm gonna keep on eye on it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Technically, your CR-V has the third generation TPMS.

1st gen = rotation monitoring via ABS tone wheel to detect pressure difference.

2nd gen = direct pressure reading sensors in each tire. Most accurate....

3rd gen = a return to rotation monitoring with the addition of a sophisticated algorithm that use stability hardware data (yaw / pitch / steering angle) to better detect a tire that is making the vehicle handle outside of expected parameters. Most likely that 'odd' tire (one of these is NOT like the others!) induces some delta during a turn that is triggering the system into thinking that there is an inflation issue. You likely have both a tread depth difference, some additional tread squirm, and maybe even a tire construction difference if it wasn't purchased at a Honda dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys, just added a 2016 CRV EX with only 30K miles, precertified.
The TPMS light came on on day one so I pulled over and all four tires had 36 Lbs.
I did reset the system and while driving at over 55 for about 10 minutes the light came back again, did the reset again.
Light comes back every few days.

Tires were balanced again, one tire was replaced about 6 months ago. The dealership is telling me that there there's no way to check the TPMS. He stated that because two tires were replaced in the last 6K miles (in the front now) that that might be the issue. The stated that even though the tires are the same thread and brand that, that might be the issue. And that I might have to replace the entire set of tires.

What do you guys think?

Also unrelated, I noticed a vibration at 65 MPH, and it gets worse as go up on speed. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Following a similar problem with the TPMS, ours is going to the dealer tomorrow for four new tyres and an update to the ABS software which should allow the alarm window for the TPMS to be made wider.

The tyres are unevenly worn so the dealer is covering the cost themselves & checking the alignment.

sdg.

·
Registered
'12 Honda CR-V LX
52 Posts
Technically, your CR-V has the third generation TPMS.

1st gen = rotation monitoring via ABS tone wheel to detect pressure difference.

2nd gen = direct pressure reading sensors in each tire. Most accurate....

3rd gen = a return to rotation monitoring with the addition of a sophisticated algorithm that use stability hardware data (yaw / pitch / steering angle) to better detect a tire that is making the vehicle handle outside of expected parameters. Most likely that 'odd' tire (one of these is NOT like the others!) induces some delta during a turn that is triggering the system into thinking that there is an inflation issue. You likely have both a tread depth difference, some additional tread squirm, and maybe even a tire construction difference if it wasn't purchased at a Honda dealer.
This is incorrect. Honda switched to the indirect TMPS with the 2013 CR-V, the 2012 was still a direct system. the indirect TMPS will have a standard rubber valve stem, the direct TPMS valve stem will be made of metal.

·
Registered
283 Posts
This is incorrect. Honda switched to the indirect TMPS with the 2013 CR-V, the 2012 was still a direct system. the indirect TMPS will have a standard rubber valve stem, the direct TPMS valve stem will be made of metal.
Yes, this can be a little confusing, as different regulatory bodies and car companies have used different nomenclatures to describe the methods of measuring and reporting data. So let me restate this with options....

The TREAD Act (year 2000) made pressure reporting the law. Over the years there have been 3 methods used.

Original Indirect (some call it 1st Generation) = Wheel speed sensors only. Simple input. I'm not an early CR-V guy, so I can't tell you if this was ever used on the Gen-2 or Gen-3 vehicles.

Direct TPMS (some call it 2nd Generation) = Sensors in the rims, usually anchored by the Schrader valve assembly. On Honda OEM sensors the metal valve is permanently attached to the sensor body and secured on the outside with an external nut. Schrader International and many others offer fully rebuildable units where the valve screws or clips to the body, and you have a choice of rubber or metal stems. Direct TPMS meets the full letter of the Law, but is expensive....

The 2012 and 2013 Generation-4 CR-V definitely uses Direct TPMS.

A Second Generation Indirect system (some call it 3rd Generation TPMS just to confuse us.....) is being phased in by some manufacturers. Honda is one of them, slowly on a vehicle by vehicle basis. It is a return to wheel speed sensors PLUS a lot of other body/chassis hardware to detect how the vehicle is handling in response to inputs. As the algorithms is VERY vehicle specific and some wheel and tire changes can throw off the 'system balance' beyond the ability of the driver reset procedure, the phase-in is slow.

In 2014 the CR-V switched to the new Second Generation Indirect TPMS (3rd Gen TPMS).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.