Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone here can help me.

My TPMS system light came on about 2 months ago. I've read some threads here about and see an iPhone might affect it. Also that changing tires might as well. Both happened around 2 months ago.

I've had the car in twice to the dealer to fix it. The first time the dealer couldn't find anything wrong and said he couldn't anything wrong so he just "reset it." it came on 10 minutes after I left the dealer and hit a bump.

Second time, he said it was a bad back left sensor and replaced it for $280. It came back on intermittently a week later, but we were about to leave on vacation so I didn't have time to deal with it.

When I picked up the car after it sat for 2 weeks, the TPMS light seems to on permanently. All tires have the proper air pressure, but even if they didn't, that would be a different indicator light, right?

What can I say to the dealer to get them to fix it once and for all? I'm tempted to just get all sensors replaced, but that would be close to $1,000 and I have little confidence it will actually solve the problem. Thanks for any assistance.

It's a 2007.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If I paid for service that did not fix the problem, I would give them another chance. I they could not fix it, I'd call Honda customer service.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just got back from the dealer to have him check that blasted TPMS light and perform the recall on our 2009 CRV. According to the records, the codes for the TPMS indicated a low tire pressure and a problem with "tire 1 sensor". Also he got "low battery voltage and loss of communication. He checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong. Reset the codes, and within 50 feet the light came back on!
Recall could not be performed because the dealership lost their Internet and I guess the device they use has to have the Internet to be able to work. Well, at least the dealer washed the CRV for me.

On the bright side, they do have good coffee in the waiting area:rolleyes:

·
Registered
427 Posts
You can buy the sensors online at various Honda shops (I use Bernardi) for less than $30 each. You still need the special tool to sync the sensors to the CR-V however.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Don't go and buy new TPMS valves. That may or may not be your problem. There no way all 4 could be bad. You need to have someone work on it who knows what they're doing. If you have problems with your dealer, call Honda Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
$280! It's a 2007.
$280 is WAYYYYY too much. Just checked, they list from Honda for $33. No one should charge more than $25 to break down a tire-wheel, and, say $100 to program it as the absolute Maximum!

My dealer changed one on an '07 under extended warranty but he said it would have been about $160.

$280 for all 4 might be reasonable.

As another poster suggested, I suggest taking it back and let them try to fix it no matter what is wrong with NO MORE charges agreed to up front. Otherwise call Honda customer service at 1-800-999-1009. Tell them you paid $280 to get the TPMS system to function properly and it is still broken and the dealer refuses to fix it.

My guess is the will send you to another dealer who sill fix it with no more charges.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got back from the dealer to have him check that blasted TPMS light and perform the recall on our 2009 CRV. According to the records, the codes for the TPMS indicated a low tire pressure and a problem with "tire 1 sensor". Also he got "low battery voltage and loss of communication. He checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong. Reset the codes, and within 50 feet the light came back on!
Recall could not be performed because the dealership lost their Internet and I guess the device they use has to have the Internet to be able to work. Well, at least the dealer washed the CRV for me.

On the bright side, they do have good coffee in the waiting area:rolleyes:
You might want to get that battery / chargeing sytem checked...voltage issues can cause a whole range of different problems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
screw all that tpms is a waste of money this fix will cost u under 20 dollars go to any store and spend a couple of bucks on a roll of black electrical tape and a decent tire guage then use the tire guage once a month and take a piece of the tape and cover up the light on your dash there u go problem fixed. tpms is a money grab what do you think people used before tpms yes a tire guage hope this helps.

·
Registered
427 Posts
As long as you realize that when the TPMS light is on, VSA is on. You cannot turn VSA off.

From the manual:

If the low tire pressure indicator or
TPMS indicator comes on, the VSA
system automatically turns on even
when the VSA system is turned off
by pressing the VSA OFF switch
(see page ). If this happens, you
cannot turn the VSA system off by
pressing the VSA off switch again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
As long as you realize that when the TPMS light is on, VSA is on. You cannot turn VSA off.
So when would you turn off VSA? I run my snow tires without the sensors due to the programming of the system each time I put on or take off the snows. I have a separate set of wheels and sensors for the snows but I do not program them in. I live with the TPMS light on the dash (I have not put on the black tape yet) and when spring comes I take them off and the light goes off after a couple of miles with the summer tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
there is no way that the vsa and tpms are connected your vsa is not a part of the tpms the only reason to turn off your vsa is if u get a flat tire and have to use the little dougnut tire go to the dealer and ask i assemble the crv and know that the vsa and tpms are not connected they are two seperate systems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the vsa is the the vehicle stability activation thats what it stands for if your tpms was to fail why would it make sense to have you vsa affected too makes no sense ..

·
Registered
601 Posts
the vsa is the the vehicle stability activation thats what it stands for if your tpms was to fail why would it make sense to have you vsa affected too makes no sense ..
But it does make sense! The Vehicle Stability Assist is activated by default. There is a switch you can use to Deactivate VSA. Normally you would not want to do this, however, there are some situations where you would. Trying to get out of a snow bank or up a slippery slope the VSA can work against your by pulsing the brakes or limiting the throttle just when you need it the most. The CR-V is programmed so that if the TPMS senses low pressure in a tire it will not allow you to deactivate the VSA. If there is a fault with the TPMS where it cannot read the tire pressures it will also not allow you to deactivate the VSA. It was programmed this way for increased safety. The only downsides are you cannot air the tires down for increased traction in deep sand and the like (although the CR-V was never intended to be used this way). The other downside is you have to maintain the system if you want to be able to deactivate the VSA.

·
Registered
86 Posts
tpms and vsa are not connected that is two very different safety systems i assemble hondas and know that tpms and vsa are not connected.. no way.

·
Registered
601 Posts
tpms and vsa are not connected that is two very different safety systems i assemble hondas and know that tpms and vsa are not connected.. no way.
Way! You may know how to turn a wrench but you are lacking reading and comprehension skills.
The fact that you assemble Hondas does not qualify you to know that as fact. There is no obvious physical connection but there is a connection involving the programming and function.

If what you say is true then why would Honda put the following on page 324 of the 2010 Owners Manual?

If the low tire pressure indicator or
TPMS indicator comes on, the VSA
system automatically turns on even if
the VSA system is turned off by
pressing the VSA OFF switch (see
page 325). If this happens, you
cannot turn the VSA system off by
pressing the VSA OFF switch again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a specific set of steps to initialize the TPMS sensors that most dealers are oblivious to. Simply plugging in their Honda tool and resetting won't do it. Unfortunately, the TPMS system on the CRV is absolutely the cheapest lowest form...on Acuras the wheel sensors reinitialize on their own on the fly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I have 2008 Honda CRV.
A month ago, my TPMS light was on, and then I went to F*******E to reset it.
Two weeks later, the light was on (again) after driving 15 miles from home. Therefore, I went to F*******E to reset it (again).
Same story, the light was on (again) after driving 15 miles from home. Therefore, I went to F*******E to reset it (again).
Another story, the light was on (again) after driving 15 miles from home. Therefore, this morning, I went to F*******E (again) to reset it.
But this time they said that the right rear sensor was bad and needed to replace. After replaced it, no luck, TPMS light still on. They believe the car’s computer not yet recognized the new sensor. Since they do not have the tools, they told me to go to Honda Dealership to reset it.
Can somebody help me to solve this problem?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts