Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

TPMS....things I did not know...

9530 20
Hi All,

Thought I'd post an update as a new thread to my ongoing TPMS issue(s) I have had. The net of it was had taken the V into my mechanic a couple of times when the tire pressure indicator lit up on the dash - we both thought it is likely a slow leak as the 2nd last time they checked it - the tire pressure in one tire showed 19 PSI; so my mechanic inflated the tire back up to 30 PSI. That seemed to solve the problem - yesterday the tire pressure indicator comes on again so back to the mechanic. He checks all four tires and they are showing 30 PSI. The one tire that was previously showed as under inflated he checked the tire pressure and it was ok - but the under inflated indicator was still showing - so they think - it's a bad sensor - so they replace the OEM sensor with an aftermarket sensor and away I go. I'm driving for several minutes and several miles and the underinflated indicator is still showing - so back to the mechanic - they reset everything a couple of times and still no fix. Turns out that for whatever reason - aftermarket sensors don't seem to work with the Vs for some reason. So they ordered an OEM sensor that should fix the problem. The other suprirse - the OEM sensor was about 1/2 the price of the aftermarket one and normally it's usually the reverse for aftermarket parts in general. Will post an update once the new sensor is installed and is properly working.

Thanks Geek:cool:
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
The CR-V TPMS computer has to be told about a new sensor on 2013 and earlier CR-V's - they are not auto detected. They do make a device that plugs into the OBD-II port and can tell the computer what the serial number of the new sensor is by a sensor reader stuck next to the TPMS sensor on the wheel (two parts the reader and the OBD=II plug in). Or a Dealer can plug in the HDS and reset the computer - this makes changing wheels for snow tires a problem.

Other Honda models have auto sense for the Id's - the Pilot and Ridgeline autosense - the 2014 and 2015 CR-V do not have TPMS sensors in the rim - instead they read the change in rotation of the ABS sensors and if the wheel changes more than allowed it assume a pressure problem - the 2014 and 2015 have a relearn TPMS rotation button beside the VSA off button on the dash.

There are reports that the paid for Torque App for Android phones has code to read the sensor and report it, but I have not seen that or know anyone that has had that succeed.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Geek, in your earlier thread I asked about your mechanic. Are you still confident that he knows what he's doing? Changed the sensor and away you go. As larryr already mentioned, see anything wrong with that?

Also, you talk about the 'under inflated indicator' indicator. But in fact, it's the TPMS light, right? There is a difference.

Aftermarket sensors do work in CRV's. But they have to be the correct ones. And, there's more to it than just installing them. Same with OEM sensors.

Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geek, in your earlier thread I asked about your mechanic. Are you still confident that he knows what he's doing? Changed the sensor and away you go. As larryr already mentioned, see anything wrong with that?

Also, you talk about the 'under inflated indicator' indicator. But in fact, it's the TPMS light, right? There is a difference.

Aftermarket sensors do work in CRV's. But they have to be the correct ones. And, there's more to it than just installing them. Same with OEM sensors.

Good luck.
I saw your earlier posts - before it was the under inflated light now it's the TPMS light - I'm not going to the dealership as they rip you off.....my mechanic knows what they are doing......I'm far from a car expert but I don't think it's a simple diagnosis....but as I said I'm no expert.

·
Registered
867 Posts
In the other thread you said it was the TPMS light. Your mechanic found one tire to be very low, so he filled it and hoped for the light to go out. That's what made me wonder. He may be a great mechanic otherwise. I would go where they know the Honda system.

I did mention that your problem was more than low tire pressure.

We all hate this system, but have to live with it. I almost bought a Forester because they did not have TPMS in Canada back then. Neither did the Santa Fe. Maybe they do now. I don't know.

(Edit) This is your earlier thread
:http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/23-tires-wheels-suspensions/84610-tpms-tolerance.html

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
*Update*

After spending another 1/2 day at my mechanic's - he said either that the TPMS needs a software update (according to the mechanic) and/or needs to be initialized (according to the Honda dealer). Net net - it looks like only the dealer can fix it - i.e. turn off the TPMS light - sounds like a cash grab to me. So back to the dealer later this week - I would not be surprised if the dealer still can't fix it - we shall see - will post an update when it comes back from the dealer.

P.S. The basic root cause of this problem was caused by a corroding sensor which I led to signalling to the car that either the tire(s) were under-inflated or there was a fault with the TPMS system in general.

·
Registered
867 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself, geek, you should have gone to someone, not necessarily a Honda dealer, who knows the TPMS system.

Your mechanic is still just guessing. A month later and it's still 'either this', 'or that'.

I'm on my third Honda. Never felt that I've been ripped off by the dealer service. Pay a little more, sure, but they have the equipment and have people trained on their products. Modern technology in these vehicles absolutely requires that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
520 Posts
*Update*

P.S. The basic root cause of this problem was caused by a corroding sensor which I led to signalling to the car that either the tire(s) were under-inflated or there was a fault with the TPMS system in general.
I'm not sure I would buy that theory. There may be some corrosion on the outside of the sensors, but that would in no way affect the sensing or the transmission. It's completely sealed. Of course you may have a bad sensor. Could be for a variety of reasons. Not corrosion.

The TPMS error light indicates a system fault. A sensor that fails to transmit. Or a new sensor who's code has not been entered into the computer.
The Low Pressure error light next to the above indicates that at least one of the tires are low. Less than 25% below recommended PSI. A defective sensor will not light the low pressure light.

The weird thing with the Honda system is that it may take a long time and many miles to work as expected. Got a flat? Don't hold your breath waiting for the error light.

Also, the transmission from the wheel sensors to the computer can be interrupted by some electrical add-on's. I've seen many reports about phone chargers and other devices causing false intermittent TPMS problems. Always the TPMS light. It'll come on and some time later go off. By itself. Never the low pressure light.

That system sucked from day 1. It was replaced on 2014 models. But, unfortunately other issues were created.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure I would buy that theory. There may be some corrosion on the outside of the sensors, but that would in no way affect the sensing or the transmission. It's completely sealed. Of course you may have a bad sensor. Could be for a variety of reasons. Not corrosion.

The TPMS error light indicates a system fault. A sensor that fails to transmit. Or a new sensor who's code has not been entered into the computer.
The Low Pressure error light next to the above indicates that at least one of the tires are low. Less than 25% below recommended PSI. A defective sensor will not light the low pressure light.

The weird thing with the Honda system is that it may take a long time and many miles to work as expected. Got a flat? Don't hold your breath waiting for the error light.

Also, the transmission from the wheel sensors to the computer can be interrupted by some electrical add-on's. I've seen many reports about phone chargers and other devices causing false intermittent TPMS problems. Always the TPMS light. It'll come on and some time later go off. By itself. Never the low pressure light.

That system sucked from day 1. It was replaced on 2014 models. But, unfortunately other issues were created.
I don't have any electrical add ons in the car (i.e. phone chargers or stereo - everything is factory as is) - I do have an update...look for the next message

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Latest update....thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.....the consensus seems to be go to the experts aka Honda dealership....well....got the car back from dealership today....and guess what....it got fixed...not...the TPMS light is still on....so I guess the experts at the dealership are not experts....maybe as others have said it might take several miles for the TPMS light to go off...only time will tell.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Latest update....thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.....the consensus seems to be go to the experts aka Honda dealership....well....got the car back from dealership today....and guess what....it got fixed...not...the TPMS light is still on....so I guess the experts at the dealership are not experts....maybe as others have said it might take several miles for the TPMS light to go off...only time will tell.
Something fishy here. You took it to the dealer for that specific problem? What does the work order say? They did the check and can't find the problem? Did you pay them?

They connected it to their computer? Verified all sensor codes? Including the new one you had installed? Tried to reset the error and drove it the required distance?

Where are you located, geek?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Something fishy here. You took it to the dealer for that specific problem? What does the work order say? They did the check and can't find the problem? Did you pay them?

They connected it to their computer? Verified all sensor codes? Including the new one you had installed? Tried to reset the error and drove it the required distance?

Where are you located, geek?
Yep took it to a Honda dealer - unfortunately already paid them....they said it would go out.....maybe as others suggested...it will take several miles before it goes out......but obviously experts they are not......

·
Registered
577 Posts
I would not accept that. You took it in to have this error light issue fixed. If they can't fix it, don't charge the customer.

While the TPMS light is on, the system is inoperable. Not monitoring the tire pressure like it's supposed to. Whether you agree with the system or not and like it or not. It's part of the vehicle.

I get mine reset twice a year when switching wheels. Take it in with the TPMS light on, leave with it off. No problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At this point am stumped....not sure how many miles you need to put on the car before the light goes off.....I put alot of miles on the car in the last couple of days so theoretically the light should have went off by now...dunno....:confused:.....I don't really care if the light is on or off....what did we do when we didn't have systems like this...we actually got out of our cars and checked the tire pressure regularly so that's what I will likely be doing...problem fixed.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Nobody here can tell you what to do, geek. But for gods sake, you took it in for a specific problem, they charged you for it but didn't fix it. Why are you giving up? Go back and raise hell.

If they can't fix it, it's up to them to get tech support. They can turn the light off. I also have two sets of wheels and get the light when swapping for winter and summer. I switch the wheels, but they do the TPMS reset. Always get it done by my dealer. It's not up to you to drive and drive and hope for a miracle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
*Further Update*

Am not impressed at this point - Honda dealership was able to fix the problem temporarily - the TPMS light is now off - they said they reinitialized the new OEM sensor - however - now the low tire pressure indicator is now back on - so obviously the so called experts can't fix it - so I am now been back to dealership/mechanic a total of 5 times - I'm at the point that if this does not get resolved in the next service trip - am just going to going to disable the system entirely - problem solved. Gee we did not survive in our cars without the electronics....PITA.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Battery life of the sensors is 5-7 years - then new TPMS sensors are needed - if one failed, you need to replace all others at the same time. Each year the sensors sit on the shelves it eats 3 months of life from the sensor

Battery life may be shorter in Alaska and northern Canada and hot Southern parts of America.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Battery life of the sensors is 5-7 years - then new TPMS sensors are needed - if one failed, you need to replace all others at the same time. Each year the sensors sit on the shelves it eats 3 months of life from the sensor

Battery life may be shorter in Alaska and northern Canada and hot Southern parts of America.
That was what my mechanic was telling me i.e. the battery life - hopefully the problem is fixed for the time being....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.