Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda 2018 EXL CRV
Why would the TPMS warning light come on after I FILL the air on my tires? It wasn't on before I topped them off because none of the tires dropped below the specs.
What happened was I rotated my tires and topped them off with air. Then my TPMS warning light came on and I had to calibrate the system.
If the pressure was below specs then why not come on before I topped off with air. How would ADDING air cause it to give me a warning?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
On page 518 of the 2018 CR-V Owners Manual it has a section on TPMS Calibration.
You must start TPMS calibration every time you:
• Adjust the pressure in one or more tires.
• Rotate the tires.
• Replace one or more tires.
The following pages have instructions showing you how to do the calibration.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Honda 2018 EXL CRV
Why would the TPMS warning light come on after I FILL the air on my tires? It wasn't on before I topped them off because none of the tires dropped below the specs.
What happened was I rotated my tires and topped them off with air. Then my TPMS warning light came on and I had to calibrate the system.
If the pressure was below specs then why not come on before I topped off with air. How would ADDING air cause it to give me a warning?
Thanks
It was probably the tire rotation more so then the tire pressure adjustment.. but that totally depends on what the air pressure was on each tire before you made adjustments. rotating tires from front to back means the wheels are now turning on the axles differently then before you roated them (simply because the tires are often different physically, and front and rear tire pressure are spec'ed differently on a CRV).

I typically do not see this on my CRV, as racoon noted from the owners manual.. proper procedure is to recalibrate any time you rotate tires, or adjust air pressure. This is more likely needed in a CRV, because normal setting for tire pressure is different from front and rear tires (by 3 lbs). If you think about it.. properly set tire pressure on front and rear tires means that by just rotating the tires front to back you changed the results of the current calibration of the system by at least 10% (3 lbs) and I doubt the system that measures wheel rotations is completely linear.

I probably do not see a TPMS on my vehicle because I check and keep my tire pressure in spec every two weeks, and the dealer does the tire rotations for me and I am sure they also perform a recalibration request by the vehicle. I keep my tires about 2lbs over spec from the manual, but that is a non issue with this passive TPMS.. as it checks tires one to another using a relative system via the ABS subsystems.. rather then any active sensor in the tires.

In my experience, a tire has to be about 10lbs low, while the others are proper pressure, before the TPMS trips. but that is just my experience on two different Hondas (2017 CRV, and 2018 Accord).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On page 518 of the 2018 CR-V Owners Manual it has a section on TPMS Calibration.

The following pages have instructions showing you how to do the calibration.
Sigh..... I didn't ask that and as I said...I did calibrate. Again....I want to know why the warning light came on if I ADDED a little air and brought the pressure up to the same PSI level as the previous calibration level? I want to know how the system operates. Supposedly I simply rotate tires and don't add air. Would it give warning simply after a rotation if no air was added? Suppose you calibrate it at 32 PSI and then your tires go down to only 28 PSI (not low enough to trigger a warning) and you top back up at 32 PSI. Does this trigger a warning and why? That doesn't make sense because your tires are at the exact pressure they were calibrated at.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
Sigh..... I didn't ask that and as I said...I did calibrate. Again....I want to know why the warning light came on if I ADDED a little air and brought the pressure up to the same PSI level as the previous calibration level? I want to know how the system operates. Supposedly I simply rotate tires and don't add air. Would it give warning simply after a rotation if no air was added? Suppose you calibrate it at 32 PSI and then your tires go down to only 28 PSI (not low enough to trigger a warning) and you top back up at 32 PSI. Does this trigger a warning and why? That doesn't make sense because your tires are at the exact pressure they were calibrated at.
OK.. HOW MUCH air did you add to each tire? It matters.

And again.. in my experience.. it takes closer to 10lbs difference between one tire and the others to trigger the TPMS. That said.. I have also seen the system throw a false TPMS a couple times over the last two and a half years, and in both cases.. it was when I was driving over irregular road conditions and it is likely the traction system responded.. and in doing so... it also false triggered the TPMS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was probably the tire rotation more so then the tire pressure adjustment.. but that totally depends on what the air pressure was on each tire before you made adjustments. rotating tires from front to back means the wheels are now turning on the axles differently then before you roated them (simply because the tires are often different physically, and front and rear tire pressure are spec'ed differently on a CRV).

I typically do not see this on my CRV, as racoon noted from the owners manual.. proper procedure is to recalibrate any time you rotate tires, or adjust air pressure. This is more likely needed in a CRV, because normal setting for tire pressure is different from front and rear tires (by 3 lbs). If you think about it.. properly set tire pressure on front and rear tires means that by just rotating the tires front to back you changed the results of the current calibration of the system by at least 10% (3 lbs) and I doubt the system that measures wheel rotations is completely linear.

I probably do not see a TPMS on my vehicle because I check and keep my tire pressure in spec every two weeks, and the dealer does the tire rotations for me and I am sure they also perform a recalibration request by the vehicle. I keep my tires about 2lbs over spec from the manual, but that is a non issue with this passive TPMS.. as it checks tires one to another using a relative system via the ABS subsystems.. rather then any active sensor in the tires.

In my experience, a tire has to be about 10lbs low, while the others are proper pressure, before the TPMS trips. but that is just my experience on two different Hondas (2017 CRV, and 2018 Accord).
Thanks.
So you think it was simply the rotation that triggered the alarm? I could understand that if the TPMS on each wheel was assigned to each location and the calibration actually reassigned the sensors but since it doesn't display which tire is generating the alarm, I don't think it is. How does the system know you rotated the tires?
OTOH, since my tires were not low enough to generate an alarm before rotation, I would only assume you are correct.
Has anyone here ever rotated the tires and NOT generated a warning?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK.. HOW MUCH air did you add to each tire? It matters.

And again.. in my experience.. it takes closer to 10lbs difference between one tire and the others to trigger the TPMS. That said.. I have also seen the system throw a false TPMS a couple times over the last two and a half years, and in both cases.. it was when I was driving over irregular road conditions and it is likely the traction system responded.. and in doing so... it also false triggered the TPMS.
Maybe 4 lbs. Not nearly low enough to trigger an alarm as evident by the fact that an alarm was not triggered before the rotation? I don't believe it was an intermittent fault either. It definitely happened after rotation. Just trying to understand how this system operates and triggers the codes.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
Thanks.
So you think it was simply the rotation that triggered the alarm? I could understand that if the TPMS on each wheel was assigned to each location and the calibration actually reassigned the sensors but since it doesn't display which tire is generating the alarm, I don't think it is. How does the system know you rotated the tires?
OTOH, since my tires were not low enough to generate an alarm before rotation, I would only assume you are correct.
Has anyone here ever rotated the tires and NOT generated a warning?
It was probably the rotation that triggered it. I don't think any of us know the exact algorythm used by the system to track wheel rotations (which is what it relies on) so it is impossible to quantitatively answer your question as to why.

Bottom line.. Honda very specifically states to recalibrate when you rotate tires... which means to me there is a good reason for stating to do so.

Anyway.. rather then try to reverse-analyze why... just do the recalibration now that tires are rotated and tire pressure adjusted.. and if you do not get a repeat alert... you are good to go. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have personally rotated the tires on my 17 CRV four times and have never had a TPMS warning. In fact I have never had a TPMS warning. Because I am Planning on a load in the back, I pumped up the rears to 32 before the rotation. Nothing happened. I rotate rear crossed going to front and front straight back. No issues. I check my tires regularly and have never had any loss other than temp changes.

·
Banned
252 Posts
The TPMS system on these cars has nothing to do with air pressure. Add air, remove air, the car doesn't know the difference. All it knows is rotational speed of the wheels. If the car senses that one wheel is suddenly moving at a different rate than the others then it will trigger the dummy light.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I just got new tires, and had to calibrate TPMS twice, despite keeping the cold pressure right where it needs to be.

In any case, TPMS isn't very bright, but tries to use more than just rotation speed. I could totally see a pressure adjustment doing weird stuff.

Personally, I bought a system based on some pressure-sensing valve caps and a solar-powered dash display; it was $30 or something from Amazon. There are also snazzier-looking systems that use valve-step sensors and a display that takes the place of one of your button blanks. So whenever my TPMS alert goes off, I just glance at the dash display and kick off a calibration if nothing is amiss.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The TPMS system on these cars has nothing to do with air pressure. Add air, remove air, the car doesn't know the difference. All it knows is rotational speed of the wheels. If the car senses that one wheel is suddenly moving at a different rate than the others then it will trigger the dummy light.
Well that's interesting. Hmm....
Since you seem to know a little bit about the system, is each individual sensor assigned to a wheel location or does the computer not know the difference which wheel is on which side/front/back? IOW.....would a rotation without calibration trigger the warning because the front sensor was now on the rear?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have personally rotated the tires on my 17 CRV four times and have never had a TPMS warning. In fact I have never had a TPMS warning. Because I am Planning on a load in the back, I pumped up the rears to 32 before the rotation. Nothing happened. I rotate rear crossed going to front and front straight back. No issues. I check my tires regularly and have never had any loss other than temp changes.
Again....Hmmmmmm.....
So, according to all of you guys response (which I appreciate), nothing I did should have triggered an alarm. My air pressure was pretty good and rotating tires on it's own doesn't do it. Must have been one hell of a coincidence...and I don't believe in coincidences :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
So you're ignoring what my post quoting your Owners Manual is saying?
Did you look at the section in your Owners Manual that I reference, where it says rotating the tires or changing the air pressure in one or more tires requires a recalibration?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So you're ignoring what my post quoting your Owners Manual is saying?
Did you look at the section in your Owners Manual that I reference, where it says rotating the tires or changing the air pressure in one or more tires requires a recalibration?
Not ignoring anything. Your comment wasn't relevant to this discussion because I stated in the beginning that I re-calibrated. Please read post #1 and post #4. We are simply trying to understand why?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Not ignoring anything. Your comment wasn't relevant to this discussion because I stated in the beginning that I re-calibrated. Please read post #1 and post #4. We are simply trying to understand why?
Your post #1 asked:
Because adding air requires you to recalibrate.
And also in your Owners Manual on Page 89 in the section for the Low Tire Pressure/TPMS Indicator the "On/Blinking" column has this:
Comes on and stays on when:
  • One or more tires’ pressures are determined to be significantly low.
  • The system has not been calibrated.
So it was on because you added air and needed to recalibrate the system.

·
Registered
996 Posts
There is a three PSI difference between the front tires and the rears.

Look at the drivers doorjamb and inflate to the correct pressures.

There are NO TPMS modules just a tire rotation algorithm at work here.

Use a good quality air pressure gauge.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Actually, it's a little more sophisticated... something about vibration harmonics or something. But really that's all behind-the-scenes detail that's not really relevant. All that somebody needs to know is that the TPMS light is just a guess that there might be something wrong with one or more tires.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
Actually, it's a little more sophisticated... something about vibration harmonics or something. But really that's all behind-the-scenes detail that's not really relevant. All that somebody needs to know is that the TPMS light is just a guess that there might be something wrong with one or more tires.
Exactly correct. It means... go check the pressure in your tires.. as there may be a problem with one or more tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Your post #1 asked:

Because adding air requires you to recalibrate.
And also in your Owners Manual on Page 89 in the section for the Low Tire Pressure/TPMS Indicator the "On/Blinking" column has this:

So it was on because you added air and needed to recalibrate the system.
The way I assumed it work was that once you get the tires to proper inflation, then you calibrate the system so it has a correct reference point. Then, if the air pressure drops below a threshold determined by the algorithm and the sensors it triggers a sensor which requires you to inflate the tire to proper amount and then re-calibrate the system to start all over.
So you are saying that the system is so sensitive that simply by adding a little air to a tire that is not low enough to trigger a warning in the first place, triggers a warning? What is the warning...... that it is over inflated? Or does it simply want a calibration because a little air was added? Not arguing...just asking for clarification.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts