Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know how low the tire has to be to kick on..I cant find nothing in the manual except this..

Detects a change in tire conditions and
overall dimensions due to decrease in tire
pressures.

so it goes by the size of tire?....was 9 lbs low and pulled to the right,but no TPS light?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Likewise, does seem odd. I added 2 psi about a month ago (all 4 corners) and the light came on. Recalibrated and light turned off.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Federal regs say it should trigger at 20% less than the placard (sticker) in the drivers door.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/tirepressure-fmvss-138.pdf

Looks as if yours was right on the borderline?
Ok Thanks....it was sure pulling to the right and when I stopped to check it out you could tell it was soft.....now a new problem..sat night I refilled it to 32 with just plain air and yesterday it was fine and this morning its at 32.....strange...I checked for nail etc and even sprayed soapy water on it and the bead and all is good....

·
Registered
351 Posts
This method of tire pressure monitoring is horrendous for a $20k+ vehicle. It is a cost saving measure used on low end model cars and never suspected the latest model CRV, especially touring models that are prices over $30k.

This is one thing I learned the hard way shortly after buying (all 200 miles when the wife ran over a big screw) and frankly this alone would have convinced me to get into an Acura for just a little more than I paid for the Touring CRV. And with it, way better sound and no CVT among other upgrades.

Feeling a little buyers remorse here!

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,191 Posts
This method of tire pressure monitoring is horrendous for a $20k+ vehicle. It is a cost saving measure used on low end model cars and never suspected the latest model CRV, especially touring models that are prices over $30k.

This is one thing I learned the hard way shortly after buying (all 200 miles when the wife ran over a big screw) and frankly this alone would have convinced me to get into an Acura for just a little more than I paid for the Touring CRV. And with it, way better sound and no CVT among other upgrades.

This type of tire pressure monitoring system actually saves YOU money and hassle as well. There is no need to buy new sensors when you switch to snow tires, (I have no need for snow tires in AZ, but you seem to live in snow country) and no need to rebuild sensors when you buy new tires. I would also prefer to have a 4 whee read out, bit I also like the simplicity of this system. Certainly not a singular reason to have buyer's remorse.

Please let me know where I can buy an Acura with the same or more features for "just a little more" than a CR-V Touring.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
.......and the new Acura got a CR score of 77 vs the CRV's score of 83. Just a little bit more for premium gas being required as well.

·
Read Only
217 Posts
This type of tire pressure monitoring system actually saves YOU money and hassle as well. There is no need to buy new sensors when you switch to snow tires, (I have no need for snow tires in AZ, but you seem to live in snow country) and no need to rebuild sensors when you buy new tires. I would also prefer to have a 4 whee read out, bit I also like the simplicity of this system. Certainly not a singular reason to have buyer's remorse.

Please let me know where I can buy an Acura with the same or more features for "just a little more" than a CR-V Touring.
We get snow in my part of Arizona, Prescott Valley. However, in the 16 years we've lived here we average maybe one snowfall of 3" to 5" or so a winter.

My 2012 Honda Pilot has a similar tire pressure warning system. I only remember it showing low air one time. I don't recall how many pounds of pressure the tire was below the recommended pressure, but I pulled into a parking lot and put air in the tire. I have a small Sears air pump that plugs into a 12V outlet. I use it to top off the tires when I think of checking the pressure in the garage if they need it. I like to check them when they are cold. I also use it to put air into the tires on my riding lawnmower as a couple of them tend to lose air over a couple of months. I only need to mow my two acres about 3 or 4 times a year, so it sits idle most of the time.

·
5,191 Posts
We get snow in my part of Arizona, Prescott Valley. However, in the 16 years we've lived here we average maybe one snowfall of 3" to 5" or so a winter.

My 2012 Honda Pilot has a similar tire pressure warning system. I only remember it showing low air one time. I don't recall how many pounds of pressure the tire was below the recommended pressure, but I pulled into a parking lot and put air in the tire. I have a small Sears air pump that plugs into a 12V outlet. I use it to top off the tires when I think of checking the pressure in the garage if they need it. I like to check them when they are cold. I also use it to put air into the tires on my riding lawnmower as a couple of them tend to lose air over a couple of months. I only need to mow my two acres about 3 or 4 times a year, so it sits idle most of the time.
Yes, we like Northern AZ in the summer, but don't like the snow and cold in winter, hence, we live in Southern AZ! We spent a few weeks during several summers at Yavapai College as "band parents" for band camp for our son when he was in High School. It was often 90+ degrees even there! It is a beautiful area! We like Sedona also.

I also have a Sears small air pump, and use it every few months when I check the tire pressures, and almost always when the temperature drops in the fall, to avoid that first low pressure warning light.

·
Banned
252 Posts

I also find it a little odd that this bothers you so much. If the dummy light comes on, is it really that difficult to figure out which tire it was that might have triggered it? Anyways, to make it easier I recommend something like these pressure indicating valve caps. They're cheap on Amazon and most seem to get good reviews...

·
Registered
351 Posts
My 2012 Honda Pilot has a similar tire pressure warning system.
The Pilot has individual TPMS sensors. Always has. And it does not need to be reset and re-calibrated when you simply fill a low tire that set off the TPMS warning, as the CRV requires.

2019 Base model RDX start at 38k. CRV touring starts at 33k. For 5k, there are many premium differences comparing the base RDX to the top of the line CRV. One worth 5k alone, is the 2.0T with 10 speed. In regards to TPMS, I can read each wheel pressure individually.

The 2019 RDX models are very different than previous generations. Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I also find it a little odd that this bothers you so much. If the dummy light comes on, is it really that difficult to figure out which tire it was that might have triggered it? Anyways, to make it easier I recommend something like these pressure indicating valve caps. They're cheap on Amazon and most seem to get good reviews...

Those caps are junk. Tried them on a couple trailers and they are useless.

And yes, having a brand new $30k car that has less than cars of 10 years ago for less, bothers me. A system that is not smart enough to know when you refill a tire and can self reset, feels like the dawn of TPMS technology. Ridiculous.

·
5,191 Posts
The Pilot has individual TPMS sensors. Always has. And it does not need to be reset and re-calibrated when you simply fill a low tire that set off the TPMS warning, as the CRV requires.

2019 Base model RDX start at 38k. CRV touring starts at 33k. For 5k, there are many premium differences comparing the base RDX to the top of the line CRV. One worth 5k alone, is the 2.0T with 10 speed. In regards to TPMS, I can read each wheel pressure individually.

The 2019 RDX models are very different than previous generations. Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda!
And yet, on the RDX, one has to add the Technology package at $3,200 to get Blind spot information and cross traffic monitor (among other items) and you have to add the Advance package at $4,900 to get the Rain sensing wipers, fog lights and power hands-free tailgate, (again, among other added features). The Advance package requires the Technology package, so to your claimed $5,000 difference you have to add $8,100....So the RDX becomes more like $13,000 over the CR-V Touring.

Granted, you do get a lot more "things" in the RDX, but you do pay for it. Also lower MPG, and I'm willing to bet, higher insurance costs.

I know, I test drove an RDX last week. :BigGrin:

With all that said, poster robbyg has posted here somewhere that he added an Amazon purchased item that gives you in dash 4 tire digital pressure readout for your tire pressures at a much less added cost than the $13,000 difference it would cost to buy an RDX. You may want to search for it. :beerchug:

EDIT: Found it for you: Added TPMS https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/177881-added-external-tpms-system-my-2018-crv.html

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

This is probably the wrong forum (or any forum for that matter) for one to say feeling buyer's remorse, might have made a mistake, or wanting sympathy. Pretty tuff crew here......nothing is sugar coated. Just way too many "happy with their CR-V" folks here. One can always join an RDX forum......my guess is there is plenty of sympathy over there.

........and for $13K more, you probably get high teens mpg (actual) putting around town using premium only gas. Where I live 91 gas is $0.70 more per gallon than 87 gas. That adds up over time. Thanks JB in AZ.:thumb:

·
Registered
351 Posts
This is probably the wrong forum (or any forum for that matter) for one to say feeling buyer's remorse, might have made a mistake, or wanting sympathy (due to a horrendous tps). Pretty tuff crew here......nothing is sugar coated. Just way too many "happy with their CR-V" folks here. One can always join an RDX forum......my guess is there is plenty of sympathy over there.

........and for $13K more, you probably get high teens mpg putting around town using premium only gas. Where I live 91 is $0.70 more than 87. Thanks JB in AZ.:thumb:
I did not ask for any response in regard to my off topic comment of feeling a little remorse.

You guys opted on your own to respond to that and funny you should, cause there's a LOT feeling the same way. I dare not speak the topic!

I stand my ground that some of the cost reduction features on their highest level trim is ridiculous.

Just look at the Pilot, its TMPS system has continued to evolve, heck its actually smart! Other new generations car/trucks/SUV's evolve as well, many adding individual tire pressure read outs on the dash which will ID specifically which is causing an alarm and allows easy monitoring.

Meanwhile the CRV gets a "dumb", "numb" and cheap as H system.

So no, I am not happy the CRV took a huge leap backwards in technology and user information for this price point, especially the top touring model. Hey, if you dont get it...thats fine. I'm just happy that you're happy. LOL

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
.......and I'm really unhappy that you are unhappy. :-( Apologies to a long time member.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, I had my 2013 RDX for five years and 80,000 miles. Other than when we got a sudden cold snap, I had a low pressure warning once. With the cold snap, I didn't need any system to tell me all the tires were low. Have 17,000 miles on my 2018 CRV and have yet to get a low pressure warning. And even when I did get the warning on the RDX, I still pulled out my trusty tire gauge and checked them all at that time.

Unless you folks are making a habit of running over stuff all the time, this seems to be much ado about nothing. Have we gotten so dependent on tech that we've forgotten (or never knew) how to check the pressure in our tires?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well, I had my 2013 RDX for five years and 80,000 miles. Other than when we got a sudden cold snap, I had a low pressure warning once. With the cold snap, I didn't need any system to tell me all the tires were low. Have 17,000 miles on my 2018 CRV and have yet to get a low pressure warning. And even when I did get the warning on the RDX, I still pulled out my trusty tire gauge and checked them all at that time.

Unless you folks are making a habit of running over stuff all the time, this seems to be much ado about nothing. Have we gotten so dependent on tech that we've forgotten (or never knew) how to check the pressure in our tires?
As a matter of fact, my wife DOES have a habit of running over stuff, mostly based on her route to work. Not her or her driving style. It's how I learned we have a crappy system in the CRV, when I barely had 200 miles on the clock.

TPMS primary function is to warn of low pressure, so you do not drive on a low or flat tire. The CRV's system is extremely slow to respond and DOES NOT warn the driver of a low of flat tire until the vehicle is driven. It is also very inaccurate, requiring very low PSI before any warning. That's really bad, even worse for the amount of money we paid for these cars.

Secondary functions as is the trend I mentioned in most other vehicles, are specific wheel PSI and easy monitoring.

We have nothing comparable to systems using direct tire pressure sensing.

We have a budget tire pressure warning system. Buyers should be aware.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.