Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Odyssey and when in snow it will transfer power between the front wheels for a while and then the engine just goes to idle. Traction control or something does not allow me to keep the RPMs up and keep shifting from wheel to wheel. Does the AWD CR V keep power to the front and back with good RPMs or does it too give up and just stop spinning the tires?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,712 Posts
That is how the traction control works in the Ody. Have you ever tried to switch TC OFF in poor conditions? (That is why most TCs in cars can be switched off.) Or, slow down to a safer speed?

The V's VSA works the same way. In some situations (like when you need to keep the wheels spinning to get up an unplowed driveway) we switch VSA OFF in order to reach our destination. :)

Of course, with the RT4WD of the V, you would get a bit farther up the hill before the VSA impeded your progress... :rolleyes:

+++++++++++++

While I think this answers your question, I'll say that other 4WD systems that incorporate differential locks or limited slip will provide more ultimate traction than the V's system. But the V's 4WD is lighter and more fuel efficient on dry roads (which was Honda's intent).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your good reply. I have turned off the TC, but it seems like it is kind of defeating the purpose of not slipping. I have a Camry and it seems to work much better at switching from wheel to wheel and I have never turned off the TC. I have had several 4WDs with lock and they are very powerful and always on. I guess you are saying that with TC off on the CR V it will keep the power up to the front and back and I will be able to get up a steep incline without it going back to idle like my Odyssey.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,712 Posts
I have a Camry and it seems to work much better at switching from wheel to wheel and I have never turned off the TC.
TC works different ways. Some (like our Chrysler or our older Acura TL) will only activate brakes at less than an indicated 25MPH. Other systems work at higher speeds by cutting throttle.

Many new cars protect the engine by limiting high RPMs under low-load conditions.

I guess you are saying that with TC off on the CR V it will keep the power up to the front and back and I will be able to get up a steep incline
Yes it will, but it is limited by the non-locking center diff and open differentials. That is why it's good to keep the wheels spinning sometimes.

There are YouTube videos that show other cars 'whupping' the V's traction. But ours hasn't let me down in 10 yrs (and my daughter has an 800 foot, S-turn driveway, that goes upwards 100 feet). :eek:

Do I have to say "YMMV"? LOL

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sometimes you need wheel spin bye turning it off, the Toy might be better than the Odd because of tire difference. Put some good Nokian WRG3 all weathers on that Oddy and you'll see the difference .

·
Super Moderator
3,222 Posts
With traction control sometimes it's best to keep the pedal to the metal and let the car figure out where the traction is.
But in a fwd Ody snow tires in snow areas has to be a must buy

·
Registered
218 Posts
My experience with the 08CRV and 2016 CRV is that it wont allow slippage with VSA on and it will limit the engine power. But if i turn off VSA/TC i can spin all 4 wheels as much as i want

·
Registered
239 Posts
First post here, so bear with me. I'm a long time Subaru nut, but we couldn't find any deals on a used Forester for our daughter so cross-shopped the CR-V. We struck a nice deal yesterday on a 2013 LX. She is headed for SNOW COUNTRY (near Rochester, NY), and last year even my Outback with snow tires was put to the test in one severe storm. I guess I should probably consider a set of winter tires for her new ride?

·
Banned
806 Posts
First post here, so bear with me. I'm a long time Subaru nut, but we couldn't find any deals on a used Forester for our daughter so cross-shopped the CR-V. We struck a nice deal yesterday on a 2013 LX. She is headed for SNOW COUNTRY (near Rochester, NY), and last year even my Outback with snow tires was put to the test in one severe storm. I guess I should probably consider a set of winter tires for her new ride?
I just have a set of all season on mine. Reviews said that they performed well in snow and icy conditions. I usually drive the CR-V as a commuter and my wife drives the Duramax, in the winter months. She drove my CR-V in some heavy snow that we recently got and commented that it went better in the snow than the truck. I don't think it would do better in the woods, but around town it does well.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I live in the Toronto area and in terms of snow we are probably similar to Rochester. on my 07 CRV over the years I have driven during many snow storms on all seasons and have had no major issues.
dedicated snows would definitely be better and braking distance will be greatly improved compared to all seasons.
for the last 1 year or more I have switched to all terrains and these perform better in snow than all seasons.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The CRV is a very good in deep snow if you have good winter tires. Our 08 CRV came with very crappy all seasons and I had to get winter tires the first winter. It was night and day with our set of General Altimax Arctic winter tires. We get lots of snow here in Alberta and the CRV got me through deep snow enough to be touching the the bottom of door when I step out. It is all because of the winter tires we have.
As a side note, Subaru has far superior 4WD system, if the outback has trouble, I doubt the CRV can do better if they both have the same tires. My buddy's WRX can literally plow the snow off the road with a set of Nokian Hakka.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Winter tires makes anything good to drive in winter. I put them on a Prius and Mustang and I'm still alive. My 2015 CRV is great with stock tires as long as you don't turn or stop. Next year I'll probably get some cheap Firestone Winterforce tires. Effective and cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts