Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've received a very appropriate (in my opinion) price quote for a new EX-L, using the Costco buying program, but when it came to assessing my current car (2013 EX-L Nav with 70k miles) they offered me what I consider a ridiculous price ($16k). The KBB site, dealer-trade in value, for 70k miles in 'good condition' (not their top 'excellent' condition) was about $17.2k. I've found in the past that the KBB price for trade-ins are pretty reasonable.

Should I expect to get the KBB 'trade-in' value, and are there other sites to use to establish the trade-in value?

Of course, when you get a 'fixed price' like you do with the Costco program, they are going to try to make up for it on the trade-in so I suspect that's what is going on here.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
The dealership will always try to low ball you. Your best bet is to force them to pay you the trade in value that you want or just walk out. I've done that and got my way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealership will always try to low ball you. Your best bet is to force them to pay you the trade in value that you want or just walk out. I've done that and got my way.
Right, but is the KBB 'dealer trade-in' value a reasonable expectation to get?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'd say yes and no to that question.
I think a lot of it depends on the 1) the car, 2) the region you're in and 3) do they really want your business.
Concerning #1 - Is the car a desirable color combo/model? How much will they have to put into it to get to 'excellent' standards?
#2 - Does this model fit their demographic buyer's wants? ie you aren't going to find high end models selling in a low rent district where the income level of the demographic can't afford them. I think you can judge this by looking at the dealer's inventory of new cars. How many high end models do they have on the lot?
#3 - If the dealer has signed up for the costco program, they may be able to sell enough cars via it to make up for the losses vs a regular sale.
I'd take it to a Car Max if there's one around you and see what they say they'll give you for it. We had an offer from them on my Accord when we went shopping for the CR-V. The dealer offered us $2k less than the CMax offer. Needless to say we didn't trade it in, but we did buy the CR-V.
When the dealer realizes you're ready to walk out, that is when they'll take you seriously and start negotiating in earnest.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Right, but is the KBB 'dealer trade-in' value a reasonable expectation to get?
Yes I do think it is. They'll probably end up selling it for 19 or 20K, so I'd make them give me what KBB says it's worth. Otherwise they're robbing you. When I traded in my Jetta for the CRV we took a hit but we didn't care because it was a garbage car. However, they ended up selling it for $4,000 more than they gave me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd take it to a Car Max if there's one around you and see what they say they'll give you for it. We had an offer from them on my Accord when we went shopping for the CR-V. The dealer offered us $2k less than the CMax offer. Needless to say we didn't trade it in, but we did buy the CR-V.
Interesting; I have no experience with CarMax at all. There is one 25 miles away, and I did a quick read of their program. Sounds worth the effort based on your experience.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting; I have no experience with CarMax at all. There is one 25 miles away, and I did a quick read of their program. Sounds worth the effort based on your experience.
Are there any other major players in the market that do the same thing? I like what I read about CarMax - their offer/price is apparently not tied to you buying anything from them.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I've sold a couple of cars to them mainly because I didn't want the hassle of dealing with the public when trying to sell them on my own.
I looked up the KBB numbers, took into account the condition of my cars, made sure they were as clean as I could get them without having them professionally detailed, came up with a price I was willing to sell them to CM for and went down and did the deals. When I told my wife how much I wanted for our Ody, she laughed and said 'They'll never give you that much for it.'
I called her up from the CM store asking her to come get me (she was about to go to the movies with the kids) as I needed a ride home. Their offer was exactly what I'd told my wife I wanted for it. She was speechless. I got a price for my Accord too, but didn't end up selling it to them. It did help in our negotiations for our CR-V as we knew the dealer was low balling us based on their offer.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Costco prices can easily be beat by around 2000 dollars, any make, any model. Often more.
We've sold/traded several of our 2013's with LESS THAN 10,000 miles on odometer, accepted a trade-in value of 20,000 but we negotiated AHEAD for a new car price and purchased several new 2016 Touring models with just 10,000 as an OTD settlement differential price.

As to private selling, since the sales tax is computed only of the differential, it usually it best to negotiate with multiple dealers for price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sell it on CLs. If it's a good deal it will sell fast.
I tried to sell a late model car on Craigslist a few years ago. I got a lot of dishonest offers from "consigners", folks wanting me to finance it for them, etc. I even got two inquiries saying they would guarantee a sale within 48 hours if I gave them credit card info. I ended up selling the car to Car Max.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

As to private selling, since the sales tax is computed only of the differential, it usually it best to negotiate with multiple dealers for price.
I believe this varies by state. I traded in a car in AZ, and the sales tax was as you said (based on differential) but in CA (where I reside now), I believe the tax is on the full purchase amount. Anyone care to disagree?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've sold a couple of cars to them mainly because I didn't want the hassle of dealing with the public when trying to sell them on my own.
I looked up the KBB numbers, took into account the condition of my cars, made sure they were as clean as I could get them without having them professionally detailed, came up with a price I was willing to sell them to CM for and went down and did the deals. When I told my wife how much I wanted for our Ody, she laughed and said 'They'll never give you that much for it.'
I called her up from the CM store asking her to come get me (she was about to go to the movies with the kids) as I needed a ride home. Their offer was exactly what I'd told my wife I wanted for it. She was speechless. I got a price for my Accord too, but didn't end up selling it to them. It did help in our negotiations for our CR-V as we knew the dealer was low balling us based on their offer.
How did the CM price compare to KBB 'dealer trade in' - presumably they gave you more, hence your satisfaction with the service?

The location of my nearest CM is my biggest challenge; it's 25 miles in the 'wrong' direction - no public transport, and a direction my g/f doesn't like to drive in ... but ... for the right price, I could get a taxi home!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If I recall correctly it was higher than trade-in, but not as much as private party sale, which was fine with me. I didn't have the hassles and they do have to make a living too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm ready to buy a 2016 CR-V EX-L, but need to sell or trade my 2011 Ford F-150. Kelly Blue Book gives a trade-in range of $27,400 to $30,400, with a private party sale of $31,400. My truck is low miles in excellent condition, with many extras.

I've been to 3 Honda dealers and the most they'll give me on trade is $27,500. CarMax only offered $26,000. I really want no less than $30,000, but dealers just won't go any higher. Since their trade-in offer is barely over the KBB low range, I'm just trying to sell it on my own. That will delay when I purchase the CR-V, but dealers don't want my business bad enough to offer me more.

I have obtained a TrueCar guaranteed price on the new CR-V that is $100 below invoice, so I assume they want to low-ball me on my trade to be able to make something off my deal. I've walked out of all 3 dealers, and they let me go. I'm either going to keep trying to sell it on my own and try to get the $30,000, or hope one of the dealers will want an additional sale at the end of some month and won't care to make a large profit.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
twowinns - with those numbers it doesn't surprise me that 3 dealers have let you walk. I'm sure there are plenty of shoppers that don't have your knowledge willing to pay a lot more for the CR-V.
Good luck with selling your truck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks. I've heard some folks here (i.e. Hondo) mention factory holdback and dealer incentives that push the real price down much lower than invoice. I guess I haven't found a dealer yet willing to dip into that.

Interestingly, KBB says my truck can bring up to $36,000 dealer retail, so they can still make $4,000 to $6,000 profit with my trade.

I'm wondering if it's worth trying another few dealers to see if their trade offer is any higher? I hate wasting a few hours, just to find they're just as stubborn on the trade amount.

I really want to get the CRV soon, but don't want to give my truck away in the process. I'm paying cash after the tradin and lien payoff, so I want to maximize my equity.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
twowinns - with those numbers it doesn't surprise me that 3 dealers have let you walk. I'm sure there are plenty of shoppers that don't have your knowledge willing to pay a lot more for the CR-V.
Good luck with selling your truck!
The dealer I went to hasn't got back to me either, BUT - I gave him only a couple of car color combinations, and I was able to check his inventory online, and it doesn't seem like he has the exact models I'm looking for so ... maybe that's why he hasn't got back to me! I'm going to watch his inventory online and if I like something he has, make contact.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've told the dealers that I could be patient for them to find the color combination I want at another dealership, and make a trade for a car on their lot. All seemed willing to do that, as the Kona Coffee I want isn't as popular as other colors.

Maybe your dealer can do the same for you and trade for the color you want.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Try Edmunds.com or the NADA site for a comparison. I think your issue appears to be miles too many for lots of folks. I have a '
13 EX that I bought off CL last Fall (21,000) miles in PERFECT shape for 21. Now you know why dealers make much more on used cars than they do on new. They are banking on your impatience to dump it. I wouldn't take that price personally. Craig

1 - 20 of 26 Posts