Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of yesterday I'm no longer a Honda owner. Bought a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring for about the same cost as a CR-V EX-L. However, the Mazda has auto retractable mirrors, three 12 volt outlets (vs 2020 CR-V only has 1), Heads up display, 19 inch wheels, heated wiper blades, rain sensing wipers, and an awesome candy apple red paint job. Its ride quality is better and noticeably more quiet than the Honda. Probably giving some gas mileage but I really like the 6 speed tranny with paddle shifters on the steering wheel. The Honda CV Transmission has to be serviced every 30k or so. I don't know what the schedule is for a Mazda 6 speed, but it's for sure most longer than the CR-V.

·
Registered
2020 EX-L AWD
52 Posts
Good luck. I had a 2019 CX-9 GT and it was the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. Always had issues with the tech in the car. There was constantly warnings popping up on the dash and the paint is the most horrible on any car I have seen (I detail cars on the side) The most soft clear I have ever seen on a car. You get bird crap on it you better get it off immediately or it will etch into the clear if left for over 2 days. Selling it was the best thing I had ever done. Wait till you see how quick the depreciation is on Mazda's. BIG TIME. Hope you got it cheap. I was at the point where I could care less how much money I lost. Just as long as it was gone. Not busting your stones; just sharing what happened to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, hope that was a one off! I previously had a 2013 CX-9 that I absolutely loved and had zero problems. Can't justify owning that large a vehicle in my sunset years.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My buddy has a leased 2017 CX5 that he intends to purchase when off lease. His only complaint is the crappy windshield wipers. I came very close to buying one in place of the 2020 CRV. Great driving dynamics and a very stylish car! There were some issues a few years back with the paint especially that red but they appear to have solved this.
Only drawback for us was the smaller rear seat and less cargo space. I am sure you will enjoy the Mazda.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I drove (and wife) the CX-5 before settling on the 20 CRV for her. To small, to noisy and the strange hump on top of the dash for the HU display was awkward. I also did not find the base engine all that peppy also.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,062 Posts
We're sorry to lose you, and hope to see you back one of these days. Best of luck with your shiny new ride! What, no picture?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Congrats on the new CX-5. My wife loves her 2019 CX-5 Signature. As has been mentioned, the one thing that stands out between the two is cargo space. If that's not important to you, you should love it!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My buddy has a leased 2017 CX5 that he intends to purchase when off lease. His only complaint is the crappy windshield wipers. I came very close to buying one in place of the 2020 CRV. Great driving dynamics and a very stylish car! There were some issues a few years back with the paint especially that red but they appear to have solved this.
Only drawback for us was the smaller rear seat and less cargo space. I am sure you will enjoy the Mazda.
The windshield wipers in our 19 CRV are crap too.

Only thing I didn't like about the CX5 was the rear rake. Made it feel much smaller than the CR-V

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wait until you have to replace those 19" tires. Prices for that size are ridiculous. The candy apple red is a nice touch.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
489 Posts
The CX-5 was the runner up to my '19 CR-V EX purchase. I was actually looking at newer used CX-5s before I started looking at the CR-V. A friend has a '16 CX-5 and loves it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Congrats! I test drove a CX-5 in 2017 when I bought my CRV. It really came down to the space advantage of the CRV otherwise I would have went with the CX-5. If I was looking today it would be a hard call especially now that the Mazda has the 2.5L turbo engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,936 Posts
Congrats! I test drove a CX-5 in 2017 when I bought my CRV. It really came down to the space advantage of the CRV otherwise I would have went with the CX-5. If I was looking today it would be a hard call especially now that the Mazda has the 2.5L turbo engine.
One of the many reasons we selected the CR-V, both in 2018 and now again in 2020 was for fuel economy, and space. When I want to really "feel the power" I have my '19 RDX for that. AND we have the reliability and resale value of Honda products.

There's no denying the the CX-5 has come upmarket.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX AWD
64 Posts
Congrats. I thought about the CX5 and even the CX30. What killed the deal for me is the limited dealer network. Honda is easily 3 to 1 ahead in that department. Having said that, Mazda is coming out with a very nice line up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
CX-5 is fine. RAV4 is fine. I test drove everything before buying.. and went with the CR-V because its bigger and more fuel efficient. I honestly love the styling of the CX-5.. and the interior looks luxurious. The technology is a bit dated and Mazda does some weird things with the touchscreen (the touch features does not work when the vehicle is in motion), so those are my main gripes about it. But I'm 6'3", 250lbs and have toddler age twins which means permanently installed car seats in the 2nd row.. and usually a stroller in the hatchback. I needed as much room and efficiency as possible.. and the CX-5 is TINY on the inside. Have no doubt about it.

Whats really crazy is with COVID around.. the only place Im driving is daycare. If it wasnt for the kids.. I'd actually sell my car and catch an Uber every once in a while or get a rental car to run errands on the weekends. There's just no place to go these days and owning any vehicle is unnecessary for me until well into 2021 or later.. when things start to return to normal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My brother in-law has a new 2020 CX5 and it is much better built than my 2016 touring. If we decide to get another CRV (this is number 3) I would be surprised.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX AWD
64 Posts
My brother in-law has a new 2020 CX5 and it is much better built than my 2016 touring. If we decide to get another CRV (this is number 3) I would be surprised.
I feel the 5th generation is definitely built better than the 4th. I would stop by and check out the newest generation before you write Honda off. I expect there will be more updates by 2022. Including the infotainment system, which needs it!

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
191 Posts
Mazda appears to be a great choice. Stylish, comfortable, high in the reliability stakes and cheaper than comparable Honda models.

I was in a high speed collision with a truck and am certain that the Mazda I was driving saved me from serious injury. I should have life long affinity with the brand but I don't.

Too many problems with the replacement car and in the UK Mazda have released a number of engines onto the market which are plagued by problems. Some of those issues result in catastrophic failure of the engine and Mazda play hardball in assisting those drivers. I cannot trust a manufacture who does that to customers. They don't deserve my custom.

If you do go Mazda ensure you follow maintenance schedules to the letter and get an extended warranty. Nearly forgot, get a chip repair kit. I was surprised at how soft the paint was.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts