Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I feel the 5th generation is definitely built better than the 4th. I would stop by and check out the newest generation before you write Honda off. I expect there will be more updates by 2022. Including the infotainment system, which needs it!
strangely enough my neighbor traded a 2016 CRV EXL for a 2020 CRV EXL and said they preferred the ride of their 2016. They were leasing and the lease was up and he said he wished they would have bought the lease out. I asked if it had rattles and dash noises and he said it did, he did say he gets consistently better mpg with his new one. That is what bugs me most is the noises that Honda says are normal. I currently have 3 hondas 2014 crv, 2016 crv and 2017 civic and prior have had 15 or 16 all new and besides crv include multiple odyssys, accords, civics and a prelude My jeep wrangler does not have a single dash rattle there is no way the honda should. I have been a pretty stellar customer but I think their quality has tanked. Bought my first one in 1975 so been with them a long time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know about a 16 but my 20 rides great and has zero rattles.
sometimes you get a good one no doubt but seems there are enough issues to warrant back ordered parts to fix known rattle issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sometimes you get a good one no doubt but seems there are enough issues to warrant back ordered parts to fix known rattle issues.
I think the rattles you are referring to are transmission mounts on some units seem to be defective. This car accounts for 60%
of Honda sales. That's close to 400k units

·
Registered
52 Posts
That doesn't mean Honda is better, it just means most people don't do any research.
For me it was a tossup. The Honda face is pretty fugly compared to the Mazda, and the interior is not as nice. The CX-5 was a bit more expensive than my EX, a bit smaller inside, but what sealed the deal was the better fuel economy of the CR-V. I have owned six Hondas, and all have been outstanding, but after I heard of the oil dilution problem, I wished I had bought the Mazda without the turbo. So far, I'm pleased with my 2018 EX, averaging 34 MPG, no oil problems so far, no battery problems, and no shifter problems. The center touch screen gets a bit wonky and I had the dealer reset it. Other nit picks are the short vertical gas pedal and the steerinng wheel that doesn't come out or go down far enough. What I really want, however, is a Model Y or Cybertruck. The future is elec-trick, and gas SUCKS. Get to work on an EV, Honda, like Hyundai, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Ford, and GM!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Whats really crazy is with COVID around.. the only place Im driving is daycare. If it wasnt for the kids.. I'd actually sell my car and catch an Uber every once in a while or get a rental car to run errands on the weekends. There's just no place to go these days and owning any vehicle is unnecessary for me until well into 2021 or later.. when things start to return to normal.
this morning I was looking online for. Cx5. The suv I actually wanted. Then I was thinking why not get rid of my vehicle? My work is shutdown until January so I been working from home. my pay off is what a trade is worth.

·
Registered
527 Posts
There is a reason that Honda CRV is the best selling SUV in the US and a reason that Mazda is not
The CRV is not the best selling SUV in the US.

That title goes to the Toyota RAV4 - by a wide margin.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
The CRV is not the best selling SUV in the US.

That title goes to the Toyota RAV4 - by a wide margin.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
Unless you take out fleet sales. Toyota sells thousands of RAVs to rental car agencies. Ever see a CR-V in a rental car lane?

To be honest I haven't compared real numbers, but there is some truth to what I said.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unless you take out fleet sales. Toyota sells thousands of RAVs to rental car agencies. Ever see a CR-V in a rental car lane?

To be honest I haven't compared real numbers, but there is some truth to what I said.

CRV and RAV4 alternate between 1 and 2 in the compact SUV market depending on which poll you review. Neither by a wide margin.

That said, when you review the auto expert and customer reviews the CX5 is rated higher in some publications. What hurts the CX5 is name brand. The average customer thinks Honda or Toyota first.

Kia also has a good rep and the redesigned Nissan Rogue for '21 looks sharp - may be a competitor.

2021 Nissan Rogue: What We Know So Far.

·
Registered
38 Posts

in 2019 RAV out sold the CRV by around 65,000 vehicles. In 2018 the CRV was actually 3rd behind the RAV and get this the Rogue yikes..

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Being the best selling is not a Mazda thing. Being the best at what they do, is. They've positioned themselves between mainstream and luxury. What's given up in utility, is made up for in interior noise and material quality. Honda/Toyota make the 4 wheel appliances of the modern era. They are all about the task and less about the process. Both have their versions of the "best of both worlds", which is Acura and Lexus. Mazda fits in between them and touches both sides, depending on your budget. Smart people do their research and figure out what best fits their needs and wants.

This is a Honda forum, so posting about another manufacture is not usually widely accepted. It's enlightening to see some civil replies.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Being the best selling is not a Mazda thing. Being the best at what they do, is. They've positioned themselves between mainstream and luxury. What's given up in utility, is made up for in interior noise and material quality. Honda/Toyota make the 4 wheel appliances of the modern era. They are all about the task and less about the process. Both have their versions of the "best of both worlds", which is Acura and Lexus. Mazda fits in between them and touches both sides, depending on your budget. Smart people do their research and figure out what best fits their needs and wants.

This is a Honda forum, so posting about another manufacture is not usually widely accepted. It's enlightening to see some civil replies.
This is actually a very good observation. Mazda has been through a lot in their automotive manufacturing life. From surviving the Wankle rotary engine days, then their Ford relationship... and being a small, one line car maker, they are doing great, and making great cars. They don't fit everyone's needs, but nor do Toyota, or Honda,...or Kia or Hyundai....

Re: Civil replies...Not like a couple of years ago...o_O

Re: Other recent posts about sales numbers. Who cares? There were years when the Ford Taurus was a big seller, and the Chevy Impala. Do big sales numbers make them great cars? NO. Great cars are ones that do what an owner wants, and fulfills his/her needs, what ever they may be.

When people want to know if they got a good deal on a new car, I often think I should say: Were you happy with the deal? Yes? Then you got a good deal. Are you happy with the car you bought? Yes? Then you got a good car. There really aren't any bad cars anymore. Why would Mazda build a car exactly the same as a Honda, or vice versa? Oh! did I just say Versa?

EDIT to add: AND sometimes a bad dealer makes a good car not so good.

Reactions: Mike728

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also looked at the Mazda CX-5 before purchasing our 2018 EX-L CR-V. The one thing I didn't like with the Mazda's was no outside heated mirrors in any trim level. Living in New England I really like that feature. Also the sunroof option was only available on the top trim level.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Re. the sales numbers, look at the number of Honda dlrs vs. Mazda dlrs. I like my CRV but any comparison you read always gives the Mazda high marks. All of them say the CX 5 is the most fun to drive. Maybe its the Miata and RX7 dna they put in them.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
One absolute must for me, that the CX5 doesn't seem to offer, is the hands free tailgate. Kick to open, kick to close. Due to several reasons, one of which is the way I routinely use my vehicles' cargo areas, this feature has become a requirement for me since I first had it on a '14 Ford Escape. Thank you Ford for having the foresight and engineering to offer such a small but important feature that is now offered on so many SUVs/CUVs, except, apparently, the CX5. At this point in my life, (yes, unfortunately, age plays a part in this decision) the availability of this important feature trumps acceleration and sports car like handling for me when choosing a mainstream CUV. It's a shame that Mazda didn't get this feature from Ford.

Ford develops kick activated tailgate

Let's face it, there are some "deal breakers" that everyone has when shopping for a new car. Everyone has different ones. Isn't choice wonderful?!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re. the sales numbers, look at the number of Honda dlrs vs. Mazda dlrs. I like my CRV but any comparison you read always gives the Mazda high marks. All of them say the CX 5 is the most fun to drive. Maybe its the Miata and RX7 dna they put in them.
great point. I think that is the biggest thing that bothers me about our CRV touring. It is so vanilla boring. My brother in-law is 70yoa and when we take his CX it is just a lot more youthful I guess that extra 60hp will do the age reversal thing :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
As of yesterday I'm no longer a Honda owner. Bought a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring for about the same cost as a CR-V EX-L. However, the Mazda has auto retractable mirrors, three 12 volt outlets (vs 2020 CR-V only has 1), Heads up display, 19 inch wheels, heated wiper blades, rain sensing wipers, and an awesome candy apple red paint job. Its ride quality is better and noticeably more quiet than the Honda. Probably giving some gas mileage but I really like the 6 speed tranny with paddle shifters on the steering wheel. The Honda CV Transmission has to be serviced every 30k or so. I don't know what the schedule is for a Mazda 6 speed, but it's for sure most longer than the CR-V.
Good luck with it, quality-wise. I love my 2018 CR-V Touring and would not go with a Mazda after my brother's 2014 CX-9 Grand Touring (72,000 miles) needed a so-called new alternator (while visiting in SoCal) for big bucks, then after leaving the dealership's repair, left them stranded in Los Angeles on their way home to NorthernCal. Also, on the CX-5, I just do not care for that long hood and the rear bumper up against the rear wheel wells.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The technology is a bit dated and Mazda does some weird things with the touchscreen (the touch features does not work when the vehicle is in motion), so those are my main gripes about it.
omg you're kidding. So you'd have to pull over and come to a complete stop to skip to the next song on Spotify? Really glad I passed over the CX5 now!
What really turned me off about it is the size. To be honest, it's barely an SUV at all and to me looks more like my old Mazda 323 hatchback!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts