Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,452 Posts
Ironically, that's the reason I didn't buy it! Terrible engine noise, crappy transmission and cramped interior. I had even pre-negotiated a price with the dealer as I was so certain I was coming home with it. After my disappointing test drive ... no thanks! Walked across the street to the Honda dealership and fell in love with the CRV!
Yeah.. I rode in a friends back early in the year, and I was not impressed with the engine, the noise, or the interior. Of course I come from my CRV driving experience. Thing is.. with a more traditional gear shift transmission and multi-port injection still.. I can see no reason for the new RAV4s to be so noisy.

I have heard that future generation Toyotas will likely use smaller 4 cylinder engines with turbos.. similar to what Honda has moved to.. as a transition period before sales are dominated by hybrids/EVs later in the decade. That would likely solve the engine noise issue experienced as Toyota could produce a very well matched power train by moving to a wide torque band engine and a matching CVT.

Cramped feeling cabins however remain a challenge for Toyota for some reason. Maybe this is so Toyota sales can drive drive upsizing during the selling process to a larger Toyota SUV. /shrug

Toyota has huge brand loyalty though and I would bet that most sales of RAV4s are to long time Toyota owners. Nothing wrong with that at all.... just that those of us looking at the national sales data would do well to also understand what demographics actually buy what vehicles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recently sold an Aliner to a gal that had a new RAV and I told her there was no way the RAV would have the tow capacity to pull it safely. There is no way I would have pulled it with my CRV. She said she confirmed with her dealer that the RAV could tow 3500lbs. yikes. I looked it up and the dealer was right. crazy.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I recently sold an Aliner to a gal that had a new RAV and I told her there was no way the RAV would have the tow capacity to pull it safely. There is no way I would have pulled it with my CRV. She said she confirmed with her dealer that the RAV could tow 3500lbs. yikes. I looked it up and the dealer was right. crazy.
I know a lot of owners compare CRV and RAV4 for features and capabilities (as do the manufacturers since they materially serve the same market segment (compact SUV/CUV) ... but they are actually different class platforms from a design standpoint.. so it is kind of apples and oranges in many ways to try to directly compare the two... particularly in the context of physical characteristics such as towing capacity.

The reason for the towing difference between RAV4 and CRV is that the CRV is based on Hondas Civic platform, and as such.. it carries many of the features AND limits of said platform. The RAV4 is based on a unique Toyota platform designed for compact SUVs only. Toyota by the way does have a compact SUV based on the Corolla platform, but it is not currently sold in North America... and it too would have much more limited towing capacity. My understanding is the Corolla based Toyota platform is also better designed cabin interior wise and is actually a better brand/model to brand/model comparison with the CRV from Honda.

Essentially a RAV4 platform is similar to the newer Honda Passport platform in many ways ... which also is a platform dedicated to SUVs only.. and is loosely derived from the Ridgeline/Pilot platforms. A Passport is also rated for 3500-5000lbs towing capacity.. so it straddles Toyotas RAV4 and Highlander to fill a long standing gap in Honda's SUV line.

People should stop comparing based on "similarities and differences" within in a vehicle class when comparing vehicles until they first establish key driving needs of the particular owner.. such as towing capacity. If you need more than 1000lbs towing capacity.. then a CRV is off the table and if you want a Honda.. you move to the Passport, or swing over to the Acura line.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
228 Posts
Actually most of the 2020 RAV4s have a 1500# towing capacity. The Hybrids have 1750#. Only the Adventure and TRD Off-Road have 3500#.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Actually most of the 2020 RAV4s have a 1500# towing capacity. The Hybrids have 1750#. Only the Adventure and TRD Off-Road have 3500#.
The point being though.... Toyotas MC Platform which the RAV4 is built on... is capable of 3500 lbs towing, as evidenced by them offering it on certain trims.

It is only Toyota putting that behind certain trims levels, then offereing it at a degraded rating on some trim levels.....means they have the flexibility to "price" access to top end towing capability.

Basically... Toyota monetizes the towing capacity of the MC platform with their approach on the current generation RAV4. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
The CRV towing capacity is 1500 lbs, not 1000.

It is not unheard of for vehicles in the CRV class to have towing capacities of 3500 lbs. The Ford Escape and Chevrolet Equinox also can tow 3500 lbs with the right equipment package. The Jeep Cherokee is rated for 5000 lbs with certain engines and towing package.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
This thread has gone far off track...LOL

And, we haven't seen the OP since the day he/she started the thread, almost two weeks ago.

·
Registered
2019 CRV - EX
6 Posts
For me it was a tossup. The Honda face is pretty fugly compared to the Mazda, and the interior is not as nice. The CX-5 was a bit more expensive than my EX, a bit smaller inside, but what sealed the deal was the better fuel economy of the CR-V. I have owned six Hondas, and all have been outstanding, but after I heard of the oil dilution problem, I wished I had bought the Mazda without the turbo. So far, I'm pleased with my 2018 EX, averaging 34 MPG, no oil problems so far, no battery problems, and no shifter problems. The center touch screen gets a bit wonky and I had the dealer reset it. Other nit picks are the short vertical gas pedal and the steerinng wheel that doesn't come out or go down far enough. What I really want, however, is a Model Y or Cybertruck. The future is elec-trick, and gas SUCKS. Get to work on an EV, Honda, like Hyundai, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Ford, and GM!
How are you getting 34 MPG? I have an EX AWD, and I can't do better than 23.6 MPG, regardless of the type of driving I am doing??!!

61 - 72 of 72 Posts