Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trading in 2017, for ?????

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Franken CRV 
#1 Ā·
I unfortunately bought the 2017 Ex-L, and at 65K miles Iā€™m on my 3rd battery, have nonstop dashboard flashing lights, broken radiator and coolant system. Now theyā€™re saying I need a new radar sensor bc of ABS and ACC codes, and lights for lane info and cmbs lights wont turn off. In other words, Iā€™m done. I do love the Cr-V though, so looking for recommendations for more recent years to buy? TYVM

#13 Ā·
I got an extended warranty on my 2016 Honda CRV-EXL when I bought it new and it only was good for 70,000 miles or 10 years whichever comes first. My car started burning oil and I found out about the issue around a little over 60,000 miles (powertrain warranty that comes with car is 60K). Honda and dealer would not do anything and did not honor the extended warranty. Until I posted a negative review and now they are rebuilding my car's engine. Fingers crossed it will fix the problem but honestly I do not think I will get another Honda again. The dealer and Honda of America treated me very poorly and I should have had YEARS left on the lifetime of this car with mainly maintenance (at least that's what I thought when I purchase it new).

#3 Ā·
Baycyd, it will be hard to advise you on what vehicle to get, because we don't know anything about your needs. We can give you generic advice like "if you're in North America, don't get a Chrysler" but that will be of limited value.

The second observation I would make is that if you buy a second-hand car, you can get cheap ones if you buy privately, but you may just end up buying one that is as shot as the CR-V that you have now. Unless you are confident you can check it out and spot the problems, you will need to have a mechanic check it out for you. That can get expensive if you have several inspected before you find one that your mechanic reckons could be OK.

You haven't told us much about the car. Did you buy it new and has it gone through two batteries in five/six years, or did you buy it 12 months ago and are you going through a battery every six months? The number of possible causes for this and the other problems is huge. It could be - for example - that an electrical fault is overcharging the battery, causing it to fail, and the same fault has fried the "radar sensor bc of ABS and ACC codes, and lights for lane info and cmbs :" I don't pretend to understand that, but I wonder if there is a common cause to those (electrical) problems.

Rather than throw your hands in the air and say that you are going to buy something new, I'd be looking at finding a different mechanic who can take a look at the electrical problems and suggest what might be causing them all. If you have already done that, or you feel that the chance of finding a guy who is any good is eye-wateringly small, then you are justified in throwing your hands in the air. In that case, lay out some money to get the car detailed, and take it to a dealer, and see what he will he will give you against a new or more modern CR-V.

The problems you describe do not seem to be typical of these cars. I believe you have a "bad" one , and you are likely to have a better experience with a different one. However, you get what you pay for, and if you are buying second-hand from a dealer, then an extended warranty should be included in what you buy. Yes, they are expensive and if you never need it you'll think it was money wasted, but if you do need it then you won't end up posting another mail like this, in a few years time.

#5 Ā·
Baycyd, it will be hard to advise you on what vehicle to get, because we don't know anything about your needs. We can give you generic advice like "if you're in North America, don't get a Chrysler" but that will be of limited value.

The second observation I would make is that if you buy a second-hand car, you can get cheap ones if you buy privately, but you may just end up buying one that is as shot as the CR-V that you have now. Unless you are confident you can check it out and spot the problems, you will need to have a mechanic check it out for you. That can get expensive if you have several inspected before you find one that your mechanic reckons could be OK.

You haven't told us much about the car. Did you buy it new and has it gone through two batteries in five/six years, or did you buy it 12 months ago and are you going through a battery every six months? The number of possible causes for this and the other problems is huge. It could be - for example - that an electrical fault is overcharging the battery, causing it to fail, and the same fault has fried the "radar sensor bc of ABS and ACC codes, and lights for lane info and cmbs :" I don't pretend to understand that, but I wonder if there is a common cause to those (electrical) problems.

Rather than throw your hands in the air and say that you are going to buy something new, I'd be looking at finding a different mechanic who can take a look at the electrical problems and suggest what might be causing them all. If you have already done that, or you feel that the chance of finding a guy who is any good is eye-wateringly small, then you are justified in throwing your hands in the air. In that case, lay out some money to get the car detailed, and take it to a dealer, and see what he will he will give you against a new or more modern CR-V.

The problems you describe do not seem to be typical of these cars. I believe you have a "bad" one , and you are likely to have a better experience with a different one. However, you get what you pay for, and if you are buying second-hand from a dealer, then an extended warranty should be included in what you buy. Yes, they are expensive and if you never need it you'll think it was money wasted, but if you do need it then you won't end up posting another mail like this, in a few years time.
This is a really wonderful, helpful response. I bought it new in 2017, and didnā€™t get extended warranty. Iā€™ve read that 2017 was a bad year for this iteration. Iā€™m very frustrated, as you can tell. Your advice is very sound. Iā€™m going to wait to do anything until after the first of 2023, and hope the interest goes down. For the crv I have now, my interest rate was 2.4. Sigh. I really love driving this car, but Iā€™m 72 and just donā€™t have the money to keep paying for these ridiculously expense defects. Thanks so much, Daft.

Not sure why someone that dislikes the CRV so much would come to a CRV forum to get car buying suggestions? Seems a little off to me.
I came to this forum to ask what other years ā€” CRVs ā€” have had fewer complaints. This generation and 2018 seem to be fraught with problems. But youā€™re probably right; I should have posted it as a general question to try to figure it out. Excuse the ring, please.

#8 Ā·
2017 a problem year? Mine has only been back to the dealer for a new infotainment screen and update as the screen wouldn't dim at night and the shifter button, didn't break, warranty. Other than that the only thing I have replaced is the tires. Still has the original battery, brakes and injectors.... I think I will keep it ;)

2017 CRV Touring in Diamond White

#10 Ā·
i traded in my zero problem 2017 for a ton of problem 2019 rdx, was fast and fun but early build and lots of issues, so i started ev shoppingā€¦.
I currently have a 2023 kia sportage hybrid sx prestige its leaps n bounds ahead tech wise and super smooth (avg 36/37mpg)

weird to leave honda but unless this thing catchws fire (which is possible) im happy

Car shopping really depends on what you need or wamt, i have no commute or work so i barely use any car i have but regardless of what brand u go with they all have something.. reliable but slow tech, great mpg but recalls, its a crap shoot sadly and not like cars were 15/20 yrs ago.

good luck!

#12 Ā·
I bought a 2017 EX new and now have 50K miles on it. My dashboard and panel lights are also twitchy but I ascribe it to a deer running into it at less than 1K miles causing $8K damage. The light issues aren't a safety thing (at least they haven't been so far)but occasionally the Brightness bar will come up and beep every few seconds and it won't go off unless I shut off the engine and restart. Sometimes the whole panel will just freeze and none of the buttons work until again shut down and restart. Doesn't happen very often maybe once every two months or so.
That said I haven't had any other problems at all and runs fine. But I have my name on the list for a 2023 Hybrid that's supposed to be delivered in January.

#14 Ā·
Wow! Bad juju; so sorry to see that many problems. I have a 2020 Touring model and have yet to have one issue. Purchased new in April of 2020, now has just a few more than 20k miles. I don't like some of the maintenance requirements like differential fluid and brake fluid changes, but I like the ride and the safety features. For perspective, my wife's 2015 Toyota Highlander has about 70 k miles and other than oil and filter changes, there has been no other mechanical or electrical issues and as far as I know, no requirements for brake fluid or diff fluid changes.

#16 Ā·
Keep in mind that the newer models have CVT transmissions and the higher end models have the undersized engine with a turbo to compensate. Both poor design choices.
Sensationalist rubbish.

Tens of millions of otherwise flawless 1.5T engines with CVTs out there since 2016 prove you flat out wrong about being "poor design choices". Suggest you go design your own engine/transmission and sell it to Honda if you think you know better.

šŸ˜’

#18 Ā·
Sorry to hear of your problems. We bought our first CR-V in 2014 after owning an Odyssey for 10 years (120K+ trouble free miles with the Ody, other than 3 batteries, timing belt/water pump @ 7 years, and one set of motor mounts). The 2014 had the infamous "rattle on start up" (VVTC actuator, which should have been a recall), transmission shudder under light throttle (I changed the fluid), and it kills batteries every three years (set your watch by it). We gave the 2014 CR-V to our daughter in 2018 and bought a 2018 CR-V. Fast forward to 2022. The 2014 is now in the hands of my sister-in law who loves it, our daughter has our 2018 CR-V, and my wife has a 2022 Hybrid CR-V. We had no problems with the 2018 CR-V. The only thing that I did not like about it was the CVT. Reminds me of an old go kart with a centrifugal clutch. Regular maintenance, one set of tires, one battery in the first 40K miles. After almost a year with the Hybrid, I'll tell you that it rides a little nicer than the previous two CR-Vs. While more quiet than the other two, Honda could still make improvements in this area. Gas mileage around town is great (low to mid 40s), but gas mileage at interstate speed is actually lower than the 2018 (I could get upper 30s MPG with the 2018, the hybrid is in the lower 30s). Acceleration with the hybrid is much better due to the electric motor assist.

I don't know the cost of a new radar sensor, but have you checked salvage yards for used parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.