Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this feature in the ACC system on the CR-V EX-L? I know I can see the speed limit in Google/Apple maps with CarPlay. Where does the speed limit display and would this adjust the ACC speed setting? What other road sign information is read besides speed limit. The description says that this feature may not apply to all cars.

Traffic Sign Recognition System: Reminds you of road sign information, such as
the current speed limit your vehicle has just passed through, showing it on the
driver information interface.

·
Registered
857 Posts
It's on my 2018 Accord but not our 2017 CR-V. The CR-V most likely will not get this feature until the mid-model refresh in 2020.
It is actually reading the road signs. It requires a newer generation of the bosch radar/vision equipment combo than the current CRV.

It's also, imo, a bit stupid. Reports are that it isn't anywhere close to as accurate as the speed limit databases. Once cars are consistently connected to 4/5g cell service this kind of thing will be instantly deprecated.

Once streets start communicating to cars with infrastructure-to-car radio signals we'll be in business! Some of this was discussed at CES this year, cool stuff.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
751 Posts
It is actually reading the road signs. It requires a newer generation of the bosch radar/vision equipment combo than the current CRV.

It's also, imo, a bit stupid. Reports are that it isn't anywhere close to as accurate as the speed limit databases. Once cars are consistently connected to 4/5g cell service this kind of thing will be instantly deprecated.

Once streets start communicating to cars with infrastructure-to-car radio signals we'll be in business! Some of this was discussed at CES this year, cool stuff.

Yes, the system in the Accord is reading the road signs. Regardless of the reports you're reading the system is not stupid but pretty accurate. I mean if that day the DOT changes the speed limit sign for a construction project, it reads the new sign. That's more accurate than any database since it's working in real time.

Maybe there will be "smart streets" someday, but it will take years for the infrastructure to be updated across the US. The system that's in the new Honda cars & trucks is out there now, and it works fine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is strange that Honda Sensing is not the same for all cars. I would think that the camera and hardware is the same across all models so the only difference is a software switch. For example, a Honda Fit does not have Low Speed Follow. Can a tool like Honda Hack turn on some of these features? What other features is the CRV missing that is available in the Accord or other high end models?

·
Registered
857 Posts
It is strange that Honda Sensing is not the same for all cars. I would think that the camera and hardware is the same across all models so the only difference is a software switch. For example, a Honda Fit does not have Low Speed Follow. Can a tool like Honda Hack turn on some of these features? What other features is the CRV missing that is available in the Accord or other high end models?
Newer systems all are Bosch technology. The first gen is Nidec, which is less capable. What you are seeing between CRV and Accord is incremental improvement from Bosch. FYI it's the same radar tech that Tesla uses.

Honda hack, and the head unit in general, are on a separate can bus interface than radar and camera. Systems like comma.ai intercept the control messages from the vision and radar systems (by piggybacking at the camera plug) and inject their own steering etc. while passing through things like rain sensors and auto headlights.

There are some that are trying to backwards engineer the bosch control software but it is non trivial to say the least.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I test drove an Accord with the 2.0 turbo, a beast and a really nice ride. However on my tester (the top of the line model) it was reading a 70 MPH on a local street. A well marked sign feet away read 30 MPH. Not perfect yet but a good tech gadget.
It should be improve with software updates on trips to your local dealership.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I test drove an Accord with the 2.0 turbo, a beast and a really nice ride. However on my tester (the top of the line model) it was reading a 70 MPH on a local street. A well marked sign feet away read 30 MPH. Not perfect yet but a good tech gadget.
It should be improve with software updates on trips to your local dealership.
Interesting, I've owned my Accord for over a year and I've not seen my system give a wrong indication of the speed limit. I wonder if it's an issue with the font style on the sign in your area. Not sure if all speed limit signs are exactly the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's on my 2018 Accord but not our 2017 CR-V. The CR-V most likely will not get this feature until the mid-model refresh in 2020.
I just got a 2019 CR-V. Are you saying I'm not able to see the speed limit of the road on which I'm driving displayed on my dash? I test drove another Honda (not sure which one), and it showed the speed limit, but my CR-V will not?

·
Registered
491 Posts
The 5th Gen Nav system does display speed limits, but that info is based on Garmin's map data and where the GPS says you are located. The system does not read speed signs, so if the limit has recently changed that won't be reflected on your display.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok. I have an EX-L, but I don't have the navigation system. I don't think the car I test drove did either, but maybe I'm mistaken. I really liked that feature, and I'm disappointed that my new car doesn't do that. I thought I just couldn't figure out how to make it show. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I view the DB-based information in Google Maps as adequate. For things like construction zones... well, if you don't have enough situational awareness to notice the bright-orange Work Zone tags on the temporary speed limit signs, you are not a very good driver.

The only thing that annoys me is that on CarPlay, GMaps will not display speed limit info unless the system is actively navigating. It inexplicably will not display limit info if you are just driving with the map on the display.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,583 Posts
Yes, the system in the Accord is reading the road signs. Regardless of the reports you're reading the system is not stupid but pretty accurate. I mean if that day the DOT changes the speed limit sign for a construction project, it reads the new sign. That's more accurate than any database since it's working in real time.

Maybe there will be "smart streets" someday, but it will take years for the infrastructure to be updated across the US. The system that's in the new Honda cars & trucks is out there now, and it works fine.
I agree.. the Accord does actually read the local signs. Which does make it better than any map database or other database and I think does represent the future trend.... at least until such time as real time cell updates are broadcast by local streets for vehicles to pick up and apply (which honestly is probably 10-20 years away before it covers all streets and roads, but much sooner for big urban areas). Speed limit designs are easy for a camera to read as they are a very standardized size, format, and location on the street.

The new generation accords do have a lot of nice new features that simply did not make it in the current gen5 CRVs... and I am sure the next gen CRVs will have them all and even more (at which point the Accord will be behind the curve a bit). This is the nature of Honda rolling different generations for each of their models on a bit different timeline in development.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Luv our other car. it has that. so the speed limit is seen it changes after you pass the sign say two street lamps or so not BEfore .

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I picked up my 2019 CR-V EX-L the sales person giving us a tutorial mentioned that it has Traffic Sign Recognition. But I can't remember how it works or how to turn it on or where it would be displayed, etc. Any help?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Using Google, I found a page on the US owners.honda.com with information for a 2018 Accord.

I did a search on the owners.honda.com page for "traffic sign recognition" and it found 6 results, two for 2018 Accords, two for 2019 Accords, and two for 2020 Accords.

None for any year CR-V.

How do you know a salesman is lying? Their lips are moving.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Using Google, I found a page on the US owners.honda.com with information for a 2018 Accord.

I did a search on the owners.honda.com page for "traffic sign recognition" and it found 6 results, two for 2018 Accords, two for 2019 Accords, and two for 2020 Accords.

None for any year CR-V.

How do you know a salesman is lying? Their lips are moving.
Ditto. I looked at the 2020 manual and there was no mention.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts