Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Just wondering id any one has pics of a trailer hitch on a 2017 or newer CRV.
Saw one today in a parking lot and all I could see was the 2" receiver under the rear bumper,
no bar is visible under the bumper. Think it may have been a Curt from what I can find online.
First one I've seen like that, Tried to see if I could read the manufactures name on it but no luck.
Don't think the owner would like someone crawling around their car. Thank You

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Curt #13397 2" here.

Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Car Auto part

1/2 of a Harbor Freight 4'X8' trailer

Standing up, out of the way
Vehicle Trailer Wheel Transport Automotive wheel system
Tire Automotive tire Transport Auto part Wheel

20 bags of pine bark, not a single crumb in the back of the V, handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Vehicle Trailer Wheel Transport Automotive wheel system
Tire Automotive tire Transport Auto part Wheel
Vehicle Transport Mode of transport Grass Cart

·
Banned
252 Posts
That load of mulch is cute and everything, but I think I would have taken my chances with the pine crumbs and loaded them in the back of the car. I am glad to see that you crossed the safety chains on the hitch. It's a pet peeve of mine of how many people I see driving around who don't know (or don't care) that you're supposed to do that.

I have the same Curt hitch as the others have shown. It's really not too bad of an install, especially if you have a helper. The hitch, if nothing else, can help make it easier to find your car if you park in a place with a few other CR-V's in it.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
That load of mulch is cute and everything, but I think I would have taken my chances with the pine crumbs and loaded them in the back of the car.............
Since the OP was in reference to a trailer hitch........I didn't mention my new Honda mower and Mantis tiller (w/Honda motor) were in boxes taking up most of the remaining space in the back. Almost forgot, had 2 cute 10' 2X4s inside as well.(y)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I've considered putting a hitch on and getting a trailer, but for the cost of the hitch, trailer, and trailer paperwork, I can pay HD for about 30 rentals of one of their trucks (or have them deliver; it's about the same cost.)

If I have the inclination and see the need, I may at some point install a hitch (which isn't too terribly expensive) and then rent a trailer as needed.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Thank you for the pics. Those look like the one I saw.
Is installing it hard to do? Did you do the wiring yourself as well. Thanks again
4 hands would make the hitch install easier.......I’m old and weak. Someone suggested loosely bolting the hitch to the tow loop/hook in the middle.....doing so helps with lifting/holding the hitch in place. I also used a jack to hold one end up while bolting the other end.

Etrailer.com has the plug-n-play trailer light harness. Great install videos and peeps at etrailer.com.??

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
30 rentals for <$450?.......good luck with that. It’s a little after 9:00 PM and Lowe’s/HD close at 10:00 PM. I want to get another load of mulch tonight before they close. I can do that, unload the trailer and stand it up out of the way before 10:00 PM. Come to think of it, I can load up just about anything, at any time I want.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
What’s with the double post?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
What’s with the triple post?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
U-Haul rents their 4x8 trailers for $15 a day. And Lowes and HD both will deliver whatever quantity (far more than we can haul) of whatever you want for $20, right to your driveway. (Not to mention the local mulch place that will deliver by the cubic yard for cheap.)

If you feel you'll get good use out of a trailer, great. I don't feel it's real cost effective for me, given how often I'm likely to need one outside the hours of the U Haul a few minutes away.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Hi
Could you please tell which brand you have installed .
This one looks good. U-HAUL one doesn't look good.
Thanks
Hitch is a Curt #13397, light harness is a Tekonsha #118741at etrailer.com.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Food for thought.......it would be great if most opinions were given a second thought and probably dropped (not post) after that second thought. If you like your opinion, that's great......just don't insinuate someone elses opinion is wrong/bad.

I'm too old/weak to be able to lift/stand-up an empty 700lb 4'X7' or a empty 1000lb 5'X8' U-Haul trailer. Since the CRV only has a 1500lb towing capacity, I don't see using half or more of that towing capacity with an empty trailer.

My set-up works great for me and maybe no one else. That's fine......to each his own, whatever works for you.

·
Registered
425 Posts
the one you saw that does not show the bar was provably Honda's OEM trailer. The bar of the trailer hitch replaced the rear bumper beam, so very minimal added weight, maybe the added weight will be just for the actual receiver. I looked into this and looks like its a lot of work to put in. The Curt is a lot easier to put and almost has the same effect but with the added weight.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Curt #13397 2" here.

View attachment 134462 View attachment 134462

1/2 of a Harbor Freight 4'X8' trailer
View attachment 134465

Standing up, out of the way
View attachment 134466 View attachment 134462 View attachment 134465 View attachment 134466

20 bags of pine bark, not a single crumb in the back of the V, handy as a pocket on a shirt.

View attachment 134467 View attachment 134462 View attachment 134465 View attachment 134466 View attachment 134467
Love that trailer. thx for pics

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello Just wondering id any one has pics of a trailer hitch on a 2017 or newer CRV.
Saw one today in a parking lot and all I could see was the 2" receiver under the rear bumper,
no bar is visible under the bumper. Think it may have been a Curt from what I can find online.
First one I've seen like that, Tried to see if I could read the manufactures name on it but no luck.
Don't think the owner would like someone crawling around their car. Thank You
I had U-Haul install the Kurt 2" hitch on my 2019 CR-V. The only thing showing is the 2" receiver, no mounting tubes or anything else. I probably could have done it myself, but it entails cutting part of the lower bumper cover and dropping the exhaust a little to gain access to the mounting holes. I decided to let the pros do it. I'm only using it for my bike rack, so I didn't bother having the harness installed. The hitch alone (installed) was less than $200. It took less than an hour and I am very pleased with the result.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.