Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to move my son back to college this weekend and I was planning on renting a U-Haul 4 x 8' Cargo Trailer. The empty weight of the trailer is 850 lbs. I'll also be carrying four passengers, with a combined weight of 750 lbs. I'll be using a Curt Class 3 trailer hitch. Most of the items we'll be placing in the trailer for are relatively light, maybe 500 lbs. total.

Will my 2012 Honda CR-V AWD handle this size trailer?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
UHaul will want to know what your tow vehicle is before they will rent their trailer to you. I would think you would be getting really close to max (maybe exceeding) on both gross vehicle weight limit and towing load limit. If you are talking about a box trailer, wind resistance alone will place a big load on engine/drivetrain. Your hitch numbers far exceeds your vehicle's capacity numbers.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
^^^^this^^^^

·
Registered
65 Posts
Towed a 5x8 U-Haul packed nearly full of furniture, tools, clothes, etc. from Central Pennsylvania to Sarasota Florida a couple days ago. I know I was at the maximum or over 1500 lb. along with belongings in the car.
The route took me over the West Virginia mountains - I-79 and Rt. 19 with 8% grades.
No problem keeping up with the traffic, however I was careful on braking...keeping my distance.
BTW....17.4 mpg towing the trailer.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
That is amazing......I never would have thought.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm planning on towing an enclosed alum. bike trailer (approx. 1300lbs tot) from Toronto To Florida -- should I have any concerns????

·
Registered
65 Posts
You'll have no problem...just keep a longer distance between you and the car ahead of you or approaching stop lights or stop signs.
Have a good trip!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation and advice, appreciate the input. Any chance you can teach me how to back up with a trailer ????:kaboom

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm looking into purchasing a Sunray 109 with a weigh of 1100lbs. I'm adding wiring to have electric brakes on the trailer. The total length of the trailer is 12'. My car is the 2018 Honda CRV EX, 1.5l AWD. My questions are: Is this setup okay? Does adding electric brakes improve handling and stopping? If anyone else had pulled a teardrop style trailer what is your experience with mpg?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Electric brakes help with stopping nothing else.

Gas mileage impact varies wildly because of design of the trailer plays a huge part.

Expect to loose from 10-30% depending on a lot of things. In town if you drive like your towing and not like most impatient jerks on the road 10% is about right.

Highway the direction of the wind, air temp and 100 other factors can change from 10% to 30%.

Also your looking at the empty weight of the trailer which by the time you load for a weekend if just 2 ppl you will max out capacity. If you live where there are a lot of hills or worse, mountains expect to loose more than 30% of your fuel mileage.

Truthfully trailer brakes are not needed at all. The V is designed to handle full 1500lbs on just the vehicle brakes without issues. And your brakes are way bigger than what my 2003 has, which has handled 1500lb trailer weights no problem.

Trailer brakes can get you into serious trouble though because if not set specifically for the trailer and loaded weight, they can accidently lock up and your in trouble at that point.

They are a good thing to have but require extra attention because improperly set up or malfunctioning trailer brakes are more dangerous by far than none. Nothing tops having them when it comes to stopping and use of brakes going down hill though. A MUST if you live in areas with roads that have grade ratings at all as you wont be white knuckled and puckered the entire trip.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your input. Indeed there are many variables that affect mpg like wind, terrain, trailer shape etc. Since the CRV only has slight help on downhills when in the "S" gear, I think the electric brakes would be beneficial even on a small trailer. I'm having a proportional brake controller installed as I have read they work smoother.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
yeap a good proportional is a solid set up.

Now remember what you consider a small trailer and what the vehicle considers a small trailer are 2 different things. A small trailer to a CRV is a little trailer for hauling something like a lawn mower around. Total weigh 2-300 lbs including the lawnmower. A 1000lbs trailer empty is big for it, then add stuff to it and then stuff in the vehicle, you just added a lot. To the CRV that's a BIG trailer. Not too big but with grades trailer brakes are practically a must when your pushing the limit of the CRVs capacity.

So remember that when towing. To you it looks small and light weight, but you in a crossover SUV, to the CRV it's like a full size pickup towing a big camper trailer. Slow, steady, no quick jerks of the wheel or sudden slamming on the brakes is skills that are a must to master. Adding good trailer brakes just makes things safer going down grades and stopping overall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts