Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a hitch (Draw-Tite Class II Hitch, Part Number:36597) and now I need to wire-up my trailer wiring. I need to customize the wiring for my application. Can someone tell me the name/manufacturer/part number of the connector inside the rear drivers side trim panel?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I am looking to install a hitch/custom wiring this winter...

www.etrailer.com has some great parts and videos...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
www.etrailer.com has some great parts and videos...

Hope this helps!
Doesn't really help. I'm looking for the connector to make my own harness. The wiring harness available on etrailer.com won't work for me. That wiring harness converts a 3-wire system (separate brake and turn signals) into a 2-wire (combined brake and turn signals) system. I'm just really looking for information on the plug.
Was at the Honda dealer this morning getting my TSB 18-114 taken care of. Stopped in their parts department, but the person behind the counter understoof what I was asking for, but couldn't really help me.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Does a car this new allow piggybacking the plug on the car wiring? Most require a special module to maintain the bulb monitoring and correct load.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the name/model and or part number of the below plug?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I did some searching on my favorite Honda parts site, and the only thing they list are the various wiring harnesses. They don't list individual connectors.

I don't see a listing for a Service Manual or Electrical Troubleshooting manual for your year CR-V, and I'm not sure even they would have component numbers that would help you in locating the correct plug.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does a car this new allow piggybacking the plug on the car wiring? Most require a special module to maintain the bulb monitoring and correct load.
You are correct, I am going to make my own harness using a special module. I am going to use a Tekonsha
Modulite Protector 5-Way Flat w/ Integrated Circuit and Overload Protection (Item # 119177). I've done this before.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tekonsha/119177.html

https://www.draw-tite.com/products/.../!FQHI|fPlggjiHowRSguPeSzt1qHToGqzpQVXzg!SbA=

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me provide a little background information so that people understand why I am trying to do this and just not purchasing the T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector available from etrailer.com
The Honda CR-V has separate turn signals (amber color) and brake lights (red). This is typically called a 3-wire system, since you need 2 wires for the turn signals and 1-wire for the brake lights.

Some cars use a 2-wire system. That type of system combines both the turn signals and brake lights (both are red lights), so you only need 2-wires.

Most vehicle trailers are 2-wire systems. Look at them the next time you see one. They use the same fixture for both turn signals and brake lights.

So, the Honda wiring harness above will convert the Honda's 3-wire (separate turn and brake lights) into a 2-wire system that a typical vehicle trailer can use.

I have a few motorcycles, along with a motorcycle cargo trailer and a motorcycle pop-up camper.
I don't know why, but typically motorcycle trailers use a 3-wire system. I'm guessing the reason is because it's safer. I find that having separate amber turn signals is more visible than combining the turn signals with the brake signals in a red lens.

I want to be able to pull my motorcycle pop-up camper with either my motorcycle or car. Hence, I do not need to convert the Honda CR-V's 3-wire system into a 2-wire system since the pop-up camper is already a 3-wire system.

I had this all working in my previous car, a 2001 VW GTi. I didn't need to cut any wire's in the car's wiring harness since I was able to get all the appropriate connectors to plug directly into the VW's system. Worked great!

Hence, all I need is the plug information on the CR-V. Or maybe even a good close-up picture of it to figure it out. I tend to get involved in a number of projects at one time, so I didn't want to take apart the rear drivers side panels and put them back and have to take them off again at a later time to install the wiring for fear of breaking a fastener or some other trim piece.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Good luck with your project, as with all of the time I've spent trying to help you I have not been able to find any information about the connector.
And since I have a different generation of CR-V, I won't be opening up my CR-V to look at the connector for you.
And after a quick look at the install instructions for the Honda trailer harness, it's not a simple thing to remove that panel, so I doubt anyone else will take the time to open the panel to take pictures for you.

Again, good luck.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Do American caravans use a different plug? We pretty much have moved to 13-pin plug for all trailers, ise also changed the plug on my light trailer as all the cars now come with the new type. Used to be 7 but it missed reverse and rear fog light plus switched and constant live connector for caravans.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, that is the connector I am looking for. Just need to figure out the name or a part number for it. I may just need to spend the few dollars and get a one day subscription for the Honda ServiceExpress to figure it out.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Good luck with your project, as with all of the time I've spent trying to help you I have not been able to find any information about the connector.
And since I have a different generation of CR-V, I won't be opening up my CR-V to look at the connector for you.
And after a quick look at the install instructions for the Honda trailer harness, it's not a simple thing to remove that panel, so I doubt anyone else will take the time to open the panel to take pictures for you.

Again, good luck.
There are several panels to be removed in order to gain access to the backside of the side panel.....all of which are easy to remove. The hard part is to not break any of the mounting tabs/pins that hold the panels in place. I know.....been there, done that, got the t-shirt (3 broken).:(

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
vp1999, thank you for the close-up pictures! I'm guessing you installed the Tekonsha T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector in your vehicle? I'm guessing the color codes correspond to:

red - brakes
black - 12V
green - right turn signal
yellow - left turn signal
brown - tail lights

white - ground

1 - 17 of 17 Posts