Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just had my serpentine pulley belts changed at 180K and now the car pauses for a couple seconds and does a hard shift into drive which it DID NOT do before this was done. Never had a tranny problem. Shifts fine into reverse and on the freeway, no problems there. Changed the fluid and drove it for a while and it is still doing it. Is it recommended to drain and fill more than once at a time? If you drive it for a while is there a chance it could stop? I know they are not supposed to be flushed but was just wondering if the multiple drain and full was an option, or even recommended. Thanks!

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
You forgot to mention that you own a 2001.

If your ATF was never changed until 180K miles (or, even km) it was WAY overdue. Draining and filling two more times might help.

If the above is true, you may also need to remove the external shift solenoids on the transmission and clean the screens that are part of the gaskets.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
If the atf is dirty or not clear or smells burnt, do 4 drain and fills with some driving in between them.
Use the newer Honda DW-1 (replaces Z-1) or another compatible synthetic atf, such as the Valvoline MaxLife Dex\Merc which is available at Walmart for aprox $18/gal jug. Very easy to do yourself and you don't even need to jack it up.
Just make sure you know where and how to add the new fluid before you do the drain.
I think it is easier than doing an engine oil and filter change.
I think the 2001 takes around 3.1 qts for a 4WD and aprox 2.9 qts for a 2WD for a single drain and fill.
Total atf capacity is 7.2qts (US) for 4WD and 6.2qts for 2WD.
1 drain and fill is just over 40% new fluid and 4 gets it close to 90% new.

So, are you talking about the belts that drive the power steering, alternator, etc or the timing belt?
The timing belt change is recommended at 105k miles or 7 yrs.

If it was the access belts, look down around them to see if the person who changed the belt may have knocked an electrical connector loose.
The rec change interval for the atf is 120k miles or 192k km, or 8 yrs :which most feel is too long. That is for under normal driving. And, I think that change is only one drain and fill. I sure would do 4.
Is the idle speed OK?
You can dl a free owner's manual for your CRV online, if you want one.
Start with the atf change, at least one.

Was anything else happening that had you get those belts changed? Noise? etc

Buffalo4

1 - 3 of 3 Posts