Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running this by those mechanics here on the forum, so as to guess at the problem.
Will try to keep this brief.. had a bad tranny, clogged filter, . This is and 05 SE. What a bi..ch to replace. everything pretty much had to come off. The donor tranny is a 30K from JDM, so I know its good.
So, tranny in, fluids topped. drops in gear firm, no lights, but when driving forward has a pronounced clunking sound, (like the drive shaft is hitting the frame when turning). I adjusted the support frame underneath, with a couple washers to make sure the clearance is there, but still has the same sound. So assume one of the front axels is producing the noise.
The axels popped in fine, and felt normal, axel nuts flux with rotors (normal looking).
Now interestingly, the sound is only when going forward, but when backing up, it sounds fine?
This leads me to wonder if.. when in reverse the tranny only powers the drive shaft, and not the axels, which might explain why I dont near a noise?
SO, my next step is to jack up the car, all 4 wheels and put the car in drive and see if I can narrow down the noise (axel) which I would guess it the right side.
Any one have a clue as to what might be the problem. The car has a slight vibration when in drive idling, so thinking something is transferring contact, (which wasnt there before),
Might have to pull both axels (again :( ) and inspect them to see if I can see any contact marks that might be telling me something is not meshing correctly)

Any idea's on what might be happening?
Thanks Jack

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I have narrowed down the problem. I have (4) leftover bolts about 1/2" x 4 inches, and haven't figured out where I removed them from. I jacked up the car, all wheels off the ground, and the axels turn nicely, no problem there, so from reversing the turn of the tires when spinning them, it appears that the motor/ tranny have excessive free play, thus these extra bolts must secure the motor or tranny to the frame, thus the extra movement is causing the noise. Once I figure out where they go ,I'll bet it solves the problem. These are not the 4 large bolts that secure the large square subframe assembly that you take off to drop the tranny out the bottom. Maybe I'm getting too old to wrench anymore?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it out, and pretty much, is exactly what would cause the problem. The new (tranny shipped) w/o that rear tranny mount bolted to the back of the tranny, thus retracing obvious steps led to the discovery of the mount still attached to the old tranny. Its a mount right next to the fear drive shaft, and of course causes the engine/ tranny to torque when moving forward. thus the noise, and a place for the extra bolts.
The problem you sometimes get here in Hawaii, is that here on the north shore,myou get a mini monsoon season, and it literally rained with wind fir a straight month, while I sat around drinking beer, and then you have to remember what you did, when putting it back together , but..... alas, should be a relatively easy fix, but tight space

1 - 4 of 4 Posts