Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This is my 2nd post. My wife bought a used 2013 AWD about a month ago. Currently has about 122K miles. Past service history is a little uncertain.
I've drained and refilled the tranny fluid 3X now since she got it. About 300-400 miles between drain/refills due to my schedule. Used DW-1 fluid.
I didn't see any metallic particles on the drain plug first time or since. But there remains a whine noise that I believe is the tranny. Noticeable in 1st gear, most pronounced in 2nd, virtually gone in 3rd, and don't hear it at all in 4th and 5th gears. The low gears is where I hear it the most. Seems to not be as loud if acceleration is heavy.
The rear diff was serviced right before purchase and they replaced the carrier. I believe that service would have included fluid replacement so I don't think the whine is from the rear diff.
It seems to shift and perform just fine. I noticed a little of the jutter in lower gears under low acceleration in the beginning but since having done the 3X fluid changes I don't notice that much now.
Is there a history of tranny whine in low gears or is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,600 Posts
Welcome to the CRVOC forum. Many fine folks from around the globe here.

You said that the rear end had been serviced just before you purchased the vehicle. Do you know who did the replacement & the exact fluid used? Honda transmissions, rear ends, power steering are extremely particular about the fluids used. FOR THESE, USE ONLY HONDA BRAND FLUIDS. Perhaps earlier, the previous owner skimped on the maintenance, using something else other than Honda Dual Pump Fluid II.

If I were in your circumstance, I would do another fluid replacement using Honda Dual Pump Fluid II. When doing this procedure, always check to see if you can open the fill bolt before you open the drain bolt. Better to have old fluid inside than no fluid. There are many instances of folks discovering that Magilla Gorilla tightened the fill bolt.
Cartoon Gesture Happy Thumb Art

Do and Advanced Search [3 dots next to your Avatar] regarding stuck AWD fill bolts and/or rear differential whine. You will find real world examples of folks who have had your problem & how they solved it.

On that matter, click on your Avatar [next to the 3 dots]. Go to Account Settings, -->Vehicle Information. Fill in all the particulars for your vehicle. That important information will appear every time you post. There are 5 generations of the V, with the 6th just around the corner. Advice for Gen 1 vehicles may not apply to Gen 4 vehicles. In my post above, I stress using proper Honda Fluids, including power steering fluid. Starting with the 5th Gen / 2017, that advice is wrong as Honda started using electric assisted power steering. Without knowing the particulars of your vehicle, the advice you get may not be applicable to your concern.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2012 CRV EXL AWD
91 Posts
I’ve had a moderate electronic type whine in our 2012 CRV 56k Miles (90k KMs) when driving with light accelerating between 90-95 KM/h. I believe it’s a bearing inside the transmission due to infrequent fluid changed by previous owner from what I’ve ready. It is annoying but I just avoid maintaining that speed while I’m driving. Only really audible by the driver. Otherwise, a trans rebuild or new trans would likely resolve the issue.

If you get any more info on resolving this issue let me know!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I’ve had a moderate electronic type whine in our 2012 CRV 56k Miles (90k KMs) when driving with light accelerating between 90-95 KM/h. I believe it’s a bearing inside the transmission due to infrequent fluid changed by previous owner from what I’ve ready. It is annoying but I just avoid maintaining that speed while I’m driving. Only really audible by the driver. Otherwise, a trans rebuild or new trans would likely resolve the issue.

If you get any more info on resolving this issue let me know!
This post above, could be possible, and also remember if it is a normal step type transmission (not cvt) honda uses what is basically a manual transmission with constant mesh gear sets, that are shifted with clutch packs, instead of shift collars like a manual transmission is shifted. So just like the whine that a manual transmission can make in lower gears these automatics can do the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts