Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Either I am searching wrong or there are not any posts on transmission additives. I'm starting to get some shudder that I think is the tranny, although I have read it can be some electronic module. I was thinking it would be cheap insurance to add something to the transmission fluid.

Has anyone added anything and if so, results?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Not sure what year you have but NO, NO, HELL NO. Do a trans service with Honda fluid. If it's not a CVT trans (cvt shudder is a nightmare and pricey issue to have) and bit older, proper 3x-4x drain and fill with Honda DW1. My 03 started getting it because it had valvoline Honda rated fluid in it, full 3x change with DW1 and 1.5 years later, no issues.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid, and did you refill it with Honda fluid or something else?
10/30/2017ATFDW-1$37.24

Not sure if that will paste correctly, but 10/30/2017 and DW-1 I purchased from Amazon. I had about 106,017 miles on it then and now have 148,511 (well I did on the 1/20).

I have a 2012, EX-L.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
It's due...

Isn't there a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about trans shudder on some of your era's 5-speed auto transmissions? Look in the TSB Topic

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's due...

Isn't there a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about trans shudder on some of your era's 5-speed auto transmissions? Look in the TSB Topic
Think its ready for new fluid after 40k miles/ 2ish years? Price isn't an issue, I thought it was just longer.

Interesting... I'll have to call Honda about this. I had it in for the lock recall on 7/15/2016, but not since then.

Vehicle: 2012 Honda CR-V
Nature of Defect:
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: SOFTWARE
Bulletin Number:
A15086
Bulletin Date:
Aug 2016
Summary:
SERVICE BULLETIN - A SURGE, VIBRATION, OR JUDDER M ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10085226 )

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The Maintenance Schedule for a 2006 CR-V (when Honda still included a schedule in the Owners Manual), called for the first automatic transmission fluid change at 60,000 miles, and then change it every 30,000 miles.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
There is no replacement interval specified for the external filter.

Some folks like to do it for the same reason people climb Mt.Everest: "Because It's THERE"

·
Registered
164 Posts
I change the trans fluid on my 2012 every 25000kms or so to keep the shudder from returning. The software upgrade had been done at an earlier date. 195000 kms and still okay.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Not sure what year you have but NO, NO, HELL NO. Do a trans service with Honda fluid. If it's not a CVT trans (cvt shudder is a nightmare and pricey issue to have) and bit older, proper 3x-4x drain and fill with Honda DW1. My 03 started getting it because it had valvoline Honda rated fluid in it, full 3x change with DW1 and 1.5 years later, no issues.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Was the Valvoline ATF you had problems with the Valvoline MaxLife Dex\Merc atf or another Valvoline ATF product?
Possibly the Valvoline™ Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid "?
I have been using the Valvoline MaxLife Dex\Merc atf for almost a 100k miles in my heavier '03 Odyssey and it has been doing great. I started out with 4 drain and fills with good driving time between and now do a single drain and fill around the 20-30k miles interval. If I notice the atf getting darker earlier , I then do a change sooner.

So, just curious.
Thanks,
Buffalo4

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Changed fluid over the weekend; fluid was dark, but not black. Any good tips on how to measure how much comes out (besides getting a container with measure marks) I emptied the transmission and started to refill checking via the dipstick. Once it just got to the hot line, I went for a drive to warm it up and checked again; fluid was in the hot zone.

Drove fine on way to work, but the shudder was pretty intermittent before, so 30 miles isn't much of a test.

Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
365 Posts
That's what I do as well, measure what comes out, put that back in, check. Since the fluid change always coincides with oil change I just use the empty oil bottles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts