Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of my CR-V now are doing this. On the highway, in overdrive, 60mph, 2000 or so RPM, if you start to push the gas pedal, the car will start chugging, bucking ect, just before the transmission upshifts.

This happens with slight pressure on the pedal. If I just ram the gas pedal and get the trans to up shift, no problem.

I have changed/flushed the fluid religiously. Even changed the in line trans filter.

No codes.

I have searched for hours on the internet and can't find anyone with this problem.

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
91 Posts
With your high mileage, that bucking/stumbling is almost surely caused by clogged up egr port holes, in the intake manifold. At light throttle, the egr valve opens and all the egr gas then gets dumped into the only clear egr port, causing that one cylinder to misfire from too much exhaust gas and causing all the chugging/bucking. At hard throttle, the egr does not engage so there's no exhaust gas flow to cause a misfire or bucking. This problem does not typically throw an error code since there is no sensor on the egr ports. Clean those port holes, the egr valve and the passage leading from the egr valve to those ports.
Btw, the egr port cover is located on top of the intake manifold, held on by a few 10mm bolts and the pcv valve vacuum hose connects directly to the top of that port cover. The egr valve is down in the back, left of the air filter box....best you look up a tutorial video if you've never removed or cleaned an egr valve before.
Also, while doing this cleaning, please do not be tempted to clean your throttle body or you will have a new, high idle and surging problem to contend with. Don't ask how I know......lol.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With your high mileage, that bucking/stumbling is almost surely caused by clogged up egr port holes, in the intake manifold. At light throttle, the egr valve opens and all the egr gas then gets dumped into the only clear egr port, causing that one cylinder to misfire from too much exhaust gas and causing all the chugging/bucking. At hard throttle, the egr does not engage so there's no exhaust gas flow to cause a misfire or bucking. This problem does not typically throw an error code since there is no sensor on the egr ports. Clean those port holes, the egr valve and the passage leading from the egr valve to those ports.
Btw, the egr port cover is located on top of the intake manifold, held on by a few 10mm bolts and the pcv valve vacuum hose connects directly to the top of that port cover. The egr valve is down in the back, left of the air filter box....best you look up a tutorial video if you've never removed or cleaned an egr valve before.
Also, while doing this cleaning, please do not be tempted to clean your throttle body or you will have a new, high idle and surging problem to contend with. Don't ask how I know......lol.
Thank you for the response. The car does not do this chugging at any other gear or speed. It seems to me one of the shift solenoids are clogged.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Shift solenoid malfunctions would probably trigger a transmission error code, perhaps a P0730 (incorrect gear ratio, which our Accord was triggering among other codes). You could physically check them to see if the screens are clogged, but I wouldn't start throwing money at solenoids and hope that the problem went away.

The EGR is something I would check first, as examining it costs nothing, and it is a mileage-related issue. @sunrise described it well, and to why it could be surging.

Reactions: garywi

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, I watched a video, ordered the gasket and will clean the ports. Looks pretty simple. I will let you know. Isnt it funny that both my cars have the same symptoms at the same time. :-/

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
91 Posts
I was able to reuse both the egr port cover gasket(metal) and the egr valve gasket but my V has under 100k miles. With your high mileage, your gaskets may be in worse shape and not reusable. Good luck cleaning.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cleaned the ports on the 2007 today and they were clogged. I will take a long drive today. Looking at the 2006 parts diagram, it does not have the same port design. Was yours an 06. Where did you clean it. thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Ya both doing it screams bad gas since it both. Definitely not a transmission issue because if it didnt drop on command there would be a code almost instantly and light would come on the second time it did it.

Dump a half of a can of seafoam in each gas tank and go drive them then report back.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya both doing it screams bad gas since it both. Definitely not a transmission issue because if it didnt drop on command there would be a code almost instantly and light would come on the second time it did it.

Dump a half of a can of seafoam in each gas tank and go drive them then report back.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Thank you but not bad gas. Symptoms have been going for weeks.

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
91 Posts
I cleaned the ports on the 2007 today and they were clogged. I will take a long drive today. Looking at the 2006 parts diagram, it does not have the same port design. Was yours an 06. Where did you clean it. thanks!
The 06 does have a different port design but I have an 09 and my port cover and gasket looks identical to your 07. I cleaned the cover and the passageway leading back to the egr valve. The excess cleaning fluid/throttle body cleaner I sprayed in there just pooled up in the opening right below the egr valve and I just soaked it up from there with a rag. Definitely a good idea to also clean that passageway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have saved me!!!

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
OP banned, thread locked

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.