1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
52 Posts
What temps is your trans fluid right now?

My point is, if your not checking the temp, then how do you know you need one? How do you know your not going to be over cooling?

Do you tow or work the vehicle in such away that your concerned about high trans fluid temps?

IMO, if your just driving it normally and not working it, you probably don't need it.

Use the $$ for gas! Good luck. KD

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what temps I'm running. One of the reasons I'm considering an oil cooler for the transmission is that I average 300 to 350 driving from job site to job site. Not including weekends errands and family outings. And since the car is getting older by the mile I would like to prevent any failures before it happens.

I wonder if there's a gauge that I can hook up to see what's the operating temps like.

Thanks for he comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What drives trans temps up is work and load. Like long uphill climbs (like mountians), or pulling a heavy load, or constant stop and go like in a traffic jamb, or a combination of those.

Leaving the trans in gear while sitting at idle for long periods of time drives temps up also. For that the simple solution is to pop it into nuetral and let the fluid circulate through the radiator.

If your vehicle gets up to a steady speed inbetween stops, then the trans is getting cooled. Our crv's have the electric fan on the radiator that kicks in when things get hot also.

If you have a healthy cooling system, then it is cooling the trans also. The engineers do take all of the above into consideration.

Trust me, I have lots of experience towing a 5th wheel camper and heavy loads. I run two trans coolers in my Dodge diesel, and one of them has a cooling fan mounted on it. I do monitor trans fluid temps right out of the torque converter.

Like I mentioned, the above conditions are what drives your temps way up. If those apply then, get one, but just normal driving is not really a concern.

You would be better off changing your trans fluid on a regular basis. Like once a year. Good luck. KD

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's napa they sell quality parts as far as I know. Lets take their napa rotors for the civic(not sure about the crv) their actually brembo repackaged with Napa box and warranty.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not quite.. the Honda OEM axle with 50k+ already on it held up fine in my brothers prelude when he was at just under the 300hp mark. The CV started to go, so he took it to the dealership. Instead of using an OEM axle like expected, we found out AFTER the axle sheared in the $800 quaife diff on his 2nd run of the night (and just days after having it put in) they had used a NAPA axle. I know we should have just done it ourselves (we have every tool needed to rip a Honda apart and put it back together which we've done a few times), but with both of us working we both agreed just get the dealership to stick another OEM in until he got his drive shaft shop stage 3 and new larger bearings etc in. That was a horrible idea. Luckily quaife covered the diff, and the dealership went back and put in the replacement diff and new axle.
So NAPA parts aren't always the best (yes I know that was 140hp to the wheels over stock, but the OEM took it in stride while the NAPA just took a ****)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honda crv does not need a transmission cooler unless one is doing a lot of towing
The honda pilot comes with factory installed trans cooler and also a power steering cooler since honda feels that this suv will be used at times for towing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts