Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a drain and fill of the transmission fluid on a 07 CRV and during the process I noticed something disturbing. The dip-stick tube had this white stuff in it. Some sort of corrosion or build up on the inner wall. My fear of course is this stuff getting into the fluid. The dipstick naturally rubs this stuff off and I don't know how much is flushed down during the drain and fill. I took a black cloth and my fat finger to wipe what i could off but I am sure there is plenty left that I can not see or get to. The white stuff smeared a fine powder and not grainy. I had a co-worker check his 11 CRV and found white stuff there as well. I am thinking I should remove the tube and clean out before the drain and fill but that seems like a lot of work.
20150703_190545.jpg 20150703_190617.jpg 20150703_191142.jpg

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I wonder if that's residue from condensation build up that hasn't boiled off.
Do you drive your car for a long enough time/distance to get everything up to temp?
If you only do short trips the condensation won't boil off/evaporate and it'll leave a mayonnaise like substance in the tube, which when it does dry could be what you're seeing.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Sounds very reasonable to me.
If the AT fluid level is high, it could be the coolant getting into the at fluid from the atf cooler in the bottom of the radiator.
I really doubt that is it, but it is a possibility.
I think 20XRVEX13's explanation is most likely correct and probably nothing to worry about.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The crv is used for short trips. About 15-20 commutes. So this is common? What is that mayo then, condensation of what contaminant and if so what if it gets into the fluid? Thanks for the reply. Gona put it on a sandwich

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Could just be moisture that is in the tranny that didn't evaporate due to the atf not getting hot enough, as 20CRVEX13 stated.
It could also be coolant leaking into the tranny from the atf cooler inside the bottom of the radiator tank.

Does your temp gauge go up to the normal position fairly quickly? If not, perhaps the engine coolant thermostat is not operating problem and keeping the engine temp too cool.

Googling those symptoms may give a better answer.

Buffalo4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts