Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a drain and pump out on their CR-V. This is where you drain the pan and refill it and then disconnect the tranny return line and pump out a quart at a time? I was thinking of doing it. I don't know the full capacity of the tranny? thoughts?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Do not do that. That's basically what a flush is and do not do to a Honda transmission. Specifically states from Honda not to do it because it can and often times will cause problems.

If you want to change more than the single drain and fill. Drive for a few miles, come back and drain and fill again. Do that 3 or 4 times.

If you do a drain and fill once a year (depending on your mileage driven) there is never a need to go through all that anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do not do that. That's basically what a flush is and do not do to a Honda transmission. Specifically states from Honda not to do it because it can and often times will cause problems.

If you want to change more than the single drain and fill. Drive for a few miles, come back and drain and fill again. Do that 3 or 4 times.

If you do a drain and fill once a year (depending on your mileage driven) there is never a need to go through all that anyway.

Are you on mtbr as well?

OP transmission fluid change is easy just follow the mfr instructions. Try to keep it level, and move through the gears to ensure the right oil level. Vehicles that lack drain or fill points due to lifetime fills are tricky. My ford suv has done 220k miles and still shifts like new, so there may be some merit to all that.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
Are you on mtbr as well?

OP transmission fluid change is easy just follow the mfr instructions. Try to keep it level, and move through the gears to ensure the right oil level. Vehicles that lack drain or fill points due to lifetime fills are tricky. My ford suv has done 220k miles and still shifts like new, so there may be some merit to all that.
That's impressive. What year and model Ford SUV do you have?

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's impressive. What year and model Ford SUV do you have?
2010 edge, the shifting was a bit weird after each of the 3 battery changes for a few miles due to reset. Fast, smooth shifts is all I look for, maybe not in a cvt ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you on mtbr as well?

I don't know what mbtr is? I have 88k on the cr-v now. I've done 3, 3 quart drain and fill. About every 22k miles. (I have not done the drain and fill drive 5 miles and drain and fill again) maybe I'll start doing that.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was quoting tigris99 I believe hes super active on these two forums. MTBR is one of the largest mountain bike forums.

Do you have a gen 4 or 5? I’m not sure what your interval is if you have the gen 4. I did mines pretty early at 30k miles, well before the minder made any mention of it. The partial oil fill and drain works great especially if your doing it as early as you are, just don’t try to chase every ounce and waste time and resources getting to 95% change. Sometimes transmission failures are un related to the lubrication, and just a result of fatigue or worn friction material.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was quoting tigris99 I believe hes super active on these two forums. MTBR is one of the largest mountain bike forums.

Do you have a gen 4 or 5? I’m not sure what your interval is if you have the gen 4. I did mines pretty early at 30k miles, well before the minder made any mention of it. The partial oil fill and drain works great especially if your doing it as early as you are, just don’t try to chase every ounce and waste time and resources getting to 95% change. Sometimes transmission failures are un related to the lubrication, and just a result of fatigue or worn friction material.

Gotcha on the mtbr! I have a gen 4, 2014. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
2010 edge, the shifting was a bit weird after each of the 3 battery changes for a few miles due to reset. Fast, smooth shifts is all I look for, maybe not in a cvt ;)

Nice! The 3.5 V6 I assume? I hear that's a pretty solid engine.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
Has anyone done a drain and pump out on their CR-V. This is where you drain the pan and refill it and then disconnect the tranny return line and pump out a quart at a time? I was thinking of doing it. I don't know the full capacity of the tranny? thoughts?

Just do a simple drain and fill....do not flush!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nice! The 3.5 V6 I assume? I hear that's a pretty solid engine.
yup engine is great. I didn’t know how well regarded it was at the time. My mechanic and transmission guy gave me the heads up that, this car is a keeper. The vehicle is a tank compared to japanese and modern cars (still average 18-21mpg).

I hope my crv holds up, it’s sitting in the driveway until I check it out, or honda makes an official statement. If that doesn’t happen soon they will forever lose me as a customer. Was thinking of getting the new 2019 cb1000r this spring.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yeap I'm on MTBR as well lol.

CRVs dont have a lifetime fluid. It's just drain and fill like doing an oil change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts