Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll be the first to admit, I'm not the gentle-ist driver. I live in a major metro area, so lots of stop and go driving. I have a US - 2017 CRV-EX that I got last Feb/Mar(Long story) - 15K miles. 3-4 Times since I got the car, at stop lights/signs I've slowed down to stop, everything seems normal and I'm about to come to a stop, when it seems like the car fails to drop out of gear(or maybe engages at the stop). I have to stand harder( than I was applying to do the stop) on the brake, after a second or two it drops out of gear. These stops are not coast to a stop(That's just not the way I drive). I'm not sure but it may be that they have all been at a downhill stop, but it's not the extra force of the car going down the hill, its the engine pulling forward, I can feel it. I've never seen this in any other transmission I've had and IT'S SCARY AS HELL since the traffic level around here means I rarely have a clear intersection that I can pull into against the light. Does anyone know if this is just a normal thing with the CVT(This is my first) or is there something the dealer can adjust to keep it from happening or am I needing to hit the dealer hard that they need to look at this and get it resolved?

Honestly, the first time it did it I thought I imagined it, the second time I thought maybe I was going crazy, then it became apparent this wasn't just in my head, I can't get it to do it at will(which is gonna make a dealer conversation hideous), and it doesn't happen a lot, so far maybe once every 3-4 months but my reaction times aren't getting any better and this could be a real issue.

·
Registered
222 Posts
2017 Canadian Touring, I’ve noticed this a few times if i was accelerating hard and then have to suddenly stop (emergency breaking) to avoid hitting the car on front of me, the vehicle slows down quickly but then just before it comes to a complete stop it hesitates and starts accelerating again and jumps forward a few inches if i don’t push harder on the breaks. First time it happened i got scared but then i got used to it.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the ACC being on.
To me it seems like a problem with the Break Assist and/or transmission.

Chinook

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,860 Posts
2017 Canadian Touring, I’ve noticed this a few times if i was accelerating hard and then have to suddenly stop (emergency breaking) to avoid hitting the car on front of me, the vehicle slows down quickly but then just before it comes to a complete stop it hesitates and starts accelerating again and jumps forward a few inches if i don’t push harder on the breaks. First time it happened i got scared but then i got used to it.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the ACC being on.
To me it seems like a problem with the Break Assist and/or transmission.

Chinook
If you are physically applying the brakes, the ACC should disengage.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,140 Posts
I think ACC is on, activated and he's letting it do all the work.
I've long since adopted the approach that there are times when ACC should not be used.
This sounds like one of those times.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I mentioned this recently in another post, if it IS the ACC causing this problem, then unfortunately, just drive without all the hi-tech accessories (ACC, etc.). I know we all paid for it and it comes with the car and so it "should" work. But obviously it doesn't, at least not all the time or at least not perfectly all that time. Honda seems loathe to do anything about it, or at least, anything anytime soon. So, we can either continue to use these features and frustrate ourselves or worse, get into an accident, or not use them and try to drive this car as manually as possible. Sounds terrible I know.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,860 Posts
Are you seeing any warning messages on the dash?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Chinook - Good to know I'm not completely losing it.

JB in AZ - I'm not seeing any messages and had a standard dealer service in between occurances. Only messages I've gotten are a service and Tire Pressure messages which I dealt with.

Others - I"m NOT using the ACC - this is city driving 35 and under MPH, but I do have the CMBS system turned on - hadn't thought about that possibly being the culprit. I only use ACC when I'm on long haul highway driving and not all the time.

Since they are becoming very anti-Automobile around here, we've got stops every 30 yards in a lot of places, and they time traffic lights against traffic to try and force commuters onto the highways, which does a great job of sticking those of us that actually live here and are actually doing things on the surface streets not commuting through. That leads to a lot of accelerating off the stop and not getting to the speed limit before it's time to brake for the next stop(that and my slightly heavy foot) - which sounds an aweful lot like what Chinook was describing.

I guess I could get used to it but, I'm just worried that if I'm not super attentive, I could get T-boned.

My current plan is to mention it to the dealer when I get a bit of time, unless anyone else has thoughts. I'd try turning the CMBS off, but that might actually have worse consequences for something thats more likely, than the 4 times in 1.5 years that has little impact.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it possible that your foot is still partially on or over the gas pedal? I've had that happen in my Sport Trac when I dont move my foot over far enough onto the brake pedal.

If you have some open road or a large parking lot somewhere you could try stopping with your foot partially over the gas pedal and see if the same thing happens. Just make sure there's nothing ahead of you if you try that and be prepared to shift your foot and stop.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I mentioned this recently in another post, if it IS the ACC causing this problem, then unfortunately, just drive without all the hi-tech accessories (ACC, etc.). I know we all paid for it and it comes with the car and so it "should" work. But obviously it doesn't, at least not all the time or at least not perfectly all that time. Honda seems loathe to do anything about it, or at least, anything anytime soon. So, we can either continue to use these features and frustrate ourselves or worse, get into an accident, or not use them and try to drive this car as manually as possible. Sounds terrible I know.
NBC news last night had a story on this and they revealed some pretty bad accident numbers for people using all levels of "driver less car tech". At the end they basically said that all these systems no matter how simple or complex are NOT reliable and that the driver needs to stay in full control at all times.

Just my 2 cents but IMHO after spending hours looking at this from a corporate viewpoint and my own Electronics background I do not think driverless cars will ever be sold. It's not that it cannot be done, its that once it is done the company that makes that claim will automatically be accepting all liability for any accidents that happen with that vehicle. Which company is going to be the first to say that you can take a nap in the back seat while the car drives you to work? And if they don't make that claim what is the point of adding thousands and thousands of dollars of ever advancing tech only to say that you must still drive it like a regular car.

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.