Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2006 CRV AWD SE 129k miles automatic, was thinking of getting a transmission fluid cooler. Will it mess up my tranny? I took a 300 mile trip up to mammoth mountain last year right after I bought the car, then the next day when I got there the transmission was slipping and then had it replaced. Don’t want it to happen again, so I thought getting the cooler might prevent that happening again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I have a 2006 CRV AWD SE 129k miles automatic, was thinking of getting a transmission fluid cooler. Will it mess up my tranny? I took a 300 mile trip up to mammoth mountain last year right after I bought the car, then the next day when I got there the transmission was slipping and then had it replaced. Don’t want it to happen again, so I thought getting the cooler might prevent that happening again.
I don't think it can hurt. The number one cause of automatic transmission failure is heat. Does the car have a tow bar added?

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Hi-CEAZ! You mentioned you had the transmission replaced. Was it a used unit, new unit or rebuilt unit? As FondaMyHonda mentioned, a trans cooler wont hurt, but is it necessary? Do you usually drive up steep mountains? Are you towing? Also, apparently, the previous transmission had 129,000 miles on it. Do you knw if the fluid had been regularly changed? This is a maintenance requirement, and many hare have transmission that last beyond those miles with proper maintenance. I doubt the cooler is necessary if you follow Honda's maintenance requirements.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it can hurt. The number one cause of automatic transmission failure is heat. Does the car have a tow bar added?
Ok thanks good to know, what about in cold weather 20f - 40f. Will it make the fluid to cold? No tow bar

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum, Hi-CEAZ! You mentioned you had the transmission replaced. Was it a used unit, new unit or rebuilt unit? As FondaMyHonda mentioned, a trans cooler wont hurt, but is it necessary? Do you usually drive up steep mountains? Are you towing? Also, apparently, the previous transmission had 129,000 miles on it. Do you knw if the fluid had been regularly changed? This is a maintenance requirement, and many hare have transmission that last beyond those miles with proper maintenance. I doubt the cooler is necessary if you follow Honda's maintenance requirements.
The new transmission that’s on, I don’t know if it was rebuilt, but I do know it was used and was told it had 110 k miles on it. On the old transmission I don’t know on the maintenance history. I’m not towing, I do have a bike rack on. Under my ownership I have been using Honda genuine fluids. Also when I got the new tranny felt sluggish from my old one, this new tranny feels slower. I’m probably going to be driving on steep mountains now more for snowboarding. If I’m in cold weather 40 Fahrenheit with the cooler will the fluids be to cold for the tranny?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok thanks good to know, what about in cold weather 20f - 40f. Will it make the fluid to cold? No tow bar
Automatic transmissions do like to run warm, that's one of the reasons the factory cooler (and warmer) is in the radiator. It's not normally a problem with an air type cooler, just don't go overboard with the size. A small one will work, just don't bypass the radiator cooler, run it in series with the radiator first. I don't know which line is the output and which is the return, maybe someone here knows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Automatic transmissions do like to run warm, that's one of the reasons the factory cooler (and warmer) is in the radiator. It's not normally a problem with an air type cooler, just don't go overboard with the size. A small one will work, just don't bypass the radiator cooler, run it in series with the radiator first. I don't know which line is the output and which is the return, maybe someone here knows.
alrighty thanks for the knowledge, will keep the advice

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm guessing the maintenance on the car before you got it was not done, you had fluid with over 100K on it that was probably broken down pretty good already. I don't see the need for an added cooler on these vehicles, but it probably wont' do any harm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm guessing the maintenance on the car before you got it was not done, you had fluid with over 100K on it that was probably broken down pretty good already. I don't see the need for an added cooler on these vehicles, but it probably wont' do any harm.
Most likely, before I took the trip I did a fluid change a month prior and the tranny started to slip into gears, then tried changing the solenoids hoping to fix the problem( which it did stop slipping) . Month later took it to the mountains and tranny fluids turned into bbq sauce (burnt) and killed the tranny up there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts