Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 2017 CRV (55k miles) oil changed at the dealer. I was told that I needed Autmatic Transmission service,Hydralyic Brake-Flush,and Premium fuel Service (Fuel injector cleaning).
Is all this necessary? total cost would $550.

Thanks?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,572 Posts
You should be monitoring your Maintenance Minder, it tells you what services are to be performed.
Transmission Fluid - Yes
Brake fluid Flush - At least every 3 years
Fuel Injector Cleaning - Don't let the dealer do it, they just pour a fuel additive in the tank and charge you $50. It is not a recommend service. But if you want just buy a bottle of Techron for $4 and add it yourself.

If you're a DIY sort of person, you can do these services for under $60 dollars with minimum tools. There are plenty of Youtube instructional videos online.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
522 Posts
yep that.s right just throttle body cleaning and de carbon the intake valves the injectors stay clean from the gas going through them,sometimes the service adviser doesn't explain to the customers or doesn't know what really goes on back there , its possible he is just saying injector cleaning when its a throttle body and valve cleaning package

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Yes, you are certainly due for a brake flush; the MM will call for this in your third year of ownership (MM Code 7, IIRC.) Mine lit up almost exactly when I had owned the car for two years. I believe the normal dealer charge for this is $100.

I think you might be the first person needing a transmission service, assuming this showed up in the MM vs. the dealer just wanting to do one; 55k isn't out of line for that to appear, I suppose. (Just a quick glance over at Civic X (who have the same CVT and a similar engine) showed somebody saying they hit it at 57k.)

Fuel Injector Cleaning: Just Say No. For piece of mind, you can feed your car regularly with "Top Tier" gas (I believe the owner's manual recommends it), which has higher-than-EPA-mandatory detergents in it. Maybe toss in a bottle of Techron if you are feeling paranoid.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
125 Posts
Before you use an injector cleaner, do a search on this forum on techron - there were a couple of long threads around the use of injector cleaners and our engines with the turbo assuming you have the EX/Touring. Also as mentioned I'd clarify what the dealer means with premium fuel cleaning and it it's valve cleaning then that by itself might be worth as it's not trivial doing it by yourself.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
There's no indication our cars require routine valve cleaning. The obsessed guys over at CivicX haven't found any indication of significant carbon buildup, and they've had the L15B7 a year longer than we have.

The primary driver of significant carbon buildup in a DI engine is oil in PCV blow-by contaminating the valves. Honda figured this out, and implemented a PCV system that has pretty much eliminated the oil from the PCV flow. No oil, nothing to crust up all over the valves.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Injector cleaner will clean the injectors, especially if the owner always uses the cheapest gas which does not contain the additive Techron that the top tier gasolines do.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Honestly... with the 1.5T, I am of the view that injector cleaning can do more harm then good (depending on what with, and how, the injectors are cleaned). This engine does have some issues, but running dirty inside (carbon buildup, dirty injectors) does not appear to be one of them.

Certainly no harm in adding a bottle of Techron every once in a while, but even that is probably wasted money.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Injector cleaner will clean the injectors, especially if the owner always uses the cheapest gas which does not contain the additive Techron that the top tier gasolines do.

The injectors spray at 2,000 psi +. It won't have any contact time to clean the injectors themselves and you probably run a higher risk of pushing contaminants into the injector tip or filter than dislodging anything that will help with flow.

GM engineers always told us to never run them on the Ecotec DI cars because of this. It's a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The injectors spray at 2,000 psi +. It won't have any contact time to clean the injectors themselves and you probably run a higher risk of pushing contaminants into the injector tip or filter than dislodging anything that will help with flow.

GM engineers always told us to never run them on the Ecotec DI cars because of this. It's a complete waste of money.
Seems this Honda dealer recommends fuel injector cleaning.
I doubt they would do that if it was something that might cause a potential warranty issue.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I doubt they would do that if it was something that might cause a potential warranty issue.

Dealerships make most of their profit from service, not vehicle sales.

It's a money maker for them. Honda does not tell owners to do this. Dealerships do.

Again, this is a bad idea on direct injection cars. There are no benefits to it in regards to valve, injector or piston cleaning. You run the risk of clogging injectors and accelerating injector seal wear.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts

Dealers make recommendations on non-required services because they have high profit margins. What they offer won't void the warranty, but it may very well cause pre-mature failure later on (outside of warranty). And anything a dealer does has, at best, a 12 month warranty.

Your vehicle, your choice... but I can tell you that I would never do a fuel injectors cleaning service on any DI engine when the manufacturer does not specify it as a maintenance requirement. Don't try to fix what's not broken, is the way I view it.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
found this in Amazon, has anyone used this? does it last?
this will make any DIY so much easier for me.
View attachment 135215
Seems off topic for the thread :)

Anyway..... a single customer review, and it got 1 star. And when you look up Zerone's storefront on Amazon, they sell all kinds of stuff.. probably all imports from China. By this I mean.. they are not a storefront specializing in automotive parts and tools... so I would not touch this with a ten foot pole.

There are a good number of portable jack and inflator kits on Amazon.. go with one that has a good number of real reviews and has been selling for a while. Be warned though.. many of them look to be clones of one another... meaning they are being bulk built in China, sold through a Chinese wholesale channe and after market labeled to meet the buyers needs.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
found this in Amazon, has anyone used this? does it last?
That thing looks like something you'd use for emergency roadside service once every few years. I'd have doubts about using it for regular maintenance. And, importantly, it does not contain any jackstands. You can change a tire without jackstands, and that's it, unless you want to die.

If you want to DIY, you'll need a jack (The Harbor Freight 3T low-profile will work; you don't need that much weight, but you do need the height), the matching jackstands (again, you need the height, not the weight), and then whatever tools you need for the jobs you want to tackle. (Basic oil changes and tire rotations will need a breaker bar, lug socket, drain plug wrench, drain pan, oil filter wrench, and some shop towels.) From there, the sky's the limit for tools... air tools, a full metric tool set, electrical tools, etc.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you want to DIY, you'll need a jack (The Harbor Freight 3T low-profile will work; you don't need that much weight, but you do need the height), the matching jackstands (again, you need the height, not the weight), and then whatever tools you need for the jobs you want to tackle. (Basic oil changes and tire rotations will need a breaker bar, lug socket, drain plug wrench, drain pan, oil filter wrench, and some shop towels.) From there, the sky's the limit for tools... air tools, a full metric tool set, electrical tools, etc.
LOL, I know about jack stands and the other stuff needed. Just wanted to know if anyone has used this and its reliability... sorry, it is off topic...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just had my 2017 CRV (55k miles) oil changed at the dealer. I was told that I needed Autmatic Transmission service,Hydralyic Brake-Flush,and Premium fuel Service (Fuel injector cleaning).
Is all this necessary? total cost would $550.

Thanks?
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/ should eliminate any need for other fuel additives. I would do the rest myself or go to a trusted local repair shop.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.