Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 15 CRV EX-L. The transmission in it sometimes is not smooth. I know this is the first year for the CVT in the CRV. The car has a "shudder" sometimes. Say you slow down, go around a turn and then step on the gas pedal again to speed up you can "feel" the transmission trying to find a gear it feels like. I have driven a few other 2016 CRV's and they don't seem to do it. It's almost like something rubbing in the transmission that's shouldn't be. Dealer said it's "normal". Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am 68 yrs., old and done most of my own auto maintenance and repairs since age 15. I learned how to correctly do this and re-build engines from my cousin who built street racing engines. So there's that. My cousin had various axioms of car buying. One key one was don't buy a new car that had new and yet unproven parts in it especially anything major, like a transmission. Manufacturers cannot test components nearly enough like customers can in miles of everyday use.

Not intending to be critical ok?

I don't believe the dealer comment at all. Sounds like a "brush off." It is a new part insufficiently tested. Honda started making these mainly to cut production costs. Multi-speed auto trans simply cost more to make. Minor mileage increase is not the main reason. Maintaining price point and margin IS.

According to all my research the newer CVTs have improved. Honda seems to get high marks for making one of the better cvt's, current iterations.
Not that you are asking, but I would look to sell it if it were mine. The problem will not go away.

I have owned Honda cars since 1981. Currently own a 2014 CRV. Ah the buttery smooth 5 speed auto! I will not buy any car with a cvt for three reasons: 1. I am old school and prefer a multi speed auto, 2. my extensive research on these says to me I don't like how they behave. More years have to pass by before I will be convinced o the cat's superiority over a standard auto trans. 3. I have a major issue with a car maker forcing me to buy something I don't want, giving no options.

An example of Honda forcing changes on customers is the adoption/requirement of the small displacement 4 banger with a turbo in crv models above the LX. I don't want a turbo! Naturally aspirated engines generate horsepower through engineering, not add ons. Honda can easily boost the non-turbo 4 banger to 190hp! Building a smaller more simple 4 banger with a turbo allows them to cut cost on engine production but get horsepower through the add on turbo. Saving $$$ again. Volvo has done this for decades. Build a simple 4 banger and strap on a turbo to get the hp. Vrooom !

Honda has another issue with it's direct injection. Oh boy, there's another can of worms.

If the cvt shudder is too much for ya, I would ditch it and I know you did not ask for this opinion. If a private buyer won't buy it palm it off on a dealer, take the trade in hit and move on.

If you want more info on why not turbo's and direct injection private message me. I will give ya the seminar...:)

I am keeping my 2014 crv and will not buy another Honda until they ditch cvt, turbo and direct injection. Will miss new Hondas.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
OP, you have what's well known as CVT shudder. Take it back unless they are going to replace the transmission. That's signal one of the coming demise of the transmission.

Modern CVTs though useless for anything except commuting purposes (towing, off pavement uses etc they are a joke) have come a LONG way. Still are not capable of lasting like a good automatic.

As for the comments of smaller displacement with turbo being cheap and so on. I would expect you with your background to know more about engines than that. But mindset seems stuck on 70s and 80s engine functionality.

Turbine engines are NOT CHEAPER by any stretch of the word to build. Lower displacement and addition of a turbo is for economy for commuting but having more power when needed. A turbo motor vs a NA motor, the turbo will outperform in EVERY SCENARIO except the small bit of turbo lag at take off/low RPM.

Also thinking Hondas best 4cyl is 190hp, your WAY out of touch with Hondas. They have 2.4L NA engines well over 200hp (Acura line which is Hondas performance/luxury line).

Being an engine tech of modern engines my entire life, I would take a properly built turbo engine of NA engine any day.

NA engines are very limited and have jack crap to do with engineering these days. The engineering has been used for decades and even the most novice on engine guy can do mods without issue. Nothing more you can do unless you increase displacement. The amount of mods needed to make an NA comparable to a lower powered Turbo engine is numerous. Once you clean up air flow in and out, nothing left to do with them without compromising performance at one end or the other and greatly reducing long term reliability. Turbos allow more power with similar reliability to standard engines and better fuel economy under standard loads.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,757 Posts
Honda started using CVT long before the 15 CRV on the Accord.
In the back of my mind is the TSB aimed at stopping slippage that a few crvs had

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I just read through the TSB linked above. I must say, these guys have really got the NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) well covered with the way they install the motor mounts. I'm also surprised that the radiator mounts could influence as much as they can. Of course when you think about it, the rad full of water hanging out front like that is a pretty significant weight to control and yet not hard mount.
I also am one that doesn't like the move to smaller displacement turbo engines. I really wish they would have put the 3.0L V-6 from my '02 Accord in the CR-V. That would have been a fun vehicle to own IMO. As it is, I'm fairly happy with our '13 EX. When you put your foot into it and get the rev's above 5k it's almost as fun as my old '02 was, but not quite. I'm glad I've got the 3.5L V-6 sitting in my garage so I can get my jollies with it.
I have driven a CVT Accord a bit as our daughter bought a '13 EX-L the same day we bought our CR-V. I found it rather boring to drive though. Maybe it's just that I'm old school when it comes to engines and transmissions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The CVT and DI engine in my 15 CRV are fantastic. I actually had a 13 CRV briefly and just wasn’t feeling it. Drove a little too vanilla for my tastes. Drove a 15 and was sold on the drivability, torque, improved steering, and MPG (35). The power is always there and it revs like a Honda engine is known for. It prefers to be revved and growls when hit. Add the tech in there and it makes a damn good, and actually fun, daily driver

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts