Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2013 2WD EX-L. While this is my second automatic, I've recently been wondering about the "proper" procedure for parking an automatic. I'm assuming most would say you stop (foot on the brake), put the car in park, apply the parking brake, and shut the engine off. With my old car, I always would stop (foot on the brake), put the car in neutral, apply the parking brake, turn the car off, THEN put the transmission in park. I just figured if you're putting the transmission in park first (before applying the parking brake) with the engine running then the load of the car is resting on the transmission and it would be better for the load of the car to be resting on the parking brake. Also I assumed turning the car off before shifting up through reverse to get to park wouldn't put any undue load/stress on the car since the motor would not be running. But then again cars are so advanced now I wonder if they're aren't sensors or things that account for all those small inconsistencies so it makes it a non-issue? Anyway just wondering what everyone else does and what the general consensus is...

·
Registered
3 Posts
On an incline, I tend to put the vehicle in neutral, set the parking brake, release the brake pedal to let the vehicle settle where it will, then put into park a turn off. I've found on my Titan that if I don't take the weight off of the tranny first, I get an awful "clunk" when shifting out of park from the torque-lock on the tranny. I doubt there's any additional wear from shifting with the vehicle running vs. not running.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts