Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve got a 97 CRV and it was driving fine all gears were pulling as they should it was shifting smooth and it just lost all power to the transmission I shut the car down started it back up and it would drive again just fine for a little bit and it would stop pulling again I have pulled off all the shifts Illinois clean them out and put them back on still doing the same thing. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
I second Tigris99. The internal filter is clogged. I went through this last year, and posted all about it in this forum.

I found a temporary quick fix that gave me another 5,000 miles almost trouble-free, but had to rebuild it in the end.

If you're in SoCal, I can recommend the shop I used. They were pretty inexpensive, and it's been holding up well since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I second Tigris99. The internal filter is clogged. I went through this last year, and posted all about it in this forum.

I found a temporary quick fix that gave me another 5,000 miles almost trouble-free, but had to rebuild it in the end.

If you're in SoCal, I can recommend the shop I used. They were pretty inexpensive, and it's been holding up well since.

I know I’m a little late to the party, but What was the price looking like? Unfortunately my trans took a dump due to me slacking in the trans maintenance, should’ve probably taken care of it when I first purchased at 150k miles

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
It was $1250 for the rebuild, $150 extended the warranty from 1 year to 2 years, and there was an extra $100 to replace my rear crankshaft seal while the transmission was already out so I wouldn't have to fix it later. I went out the door $1500 lighter, but BG still drives great.

I've been staying extra on top of my tranny lately. My oil changes are either A service or B service. A service is oil change, valve adjustment, tire rotation undercarriage/suspension/brake inspection. B service is oil change, transmission fluid change, tire rotation undercarriage/suspension/brake inspection. I reset the maintenance minder every time, and I try to do each service after 5-6k, just before or just after the maintenance minder turns orange.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was $1250 for the rebuild, $150 extended the warranty from 1 year to 2 years, and there was an extra $100 to replace my rear crankshaft seal while the transmission was already out so I wouldn't have to fix it later. I went out the door $1500 lighter, but BG still drives great.

I've been staying extra on top of my tranny lately. My oil changes are either A service or B service. A service is oil change, valve adjustment, tire rotation undercarriage/suspension/brake inspection. B service is oil change, transmission fluid change, tire rotation undercarriage/suspension/brake inspection. I reset the maintenance minder every time, and I try to do each service after 5-6k, just before or just after the maintenance minder turns orange.
Thanks man, appreciate the response. That gives me a good idea of how much it might cost me, i’m in the Chicago area in IL so the price is probably very similar. Would you think it’s worth doing on a Crv with 180k miles on the dash?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Do it. If you get it rebuilt by a good shop, with quality parts, and you take care of it after, you won't have to do it again. If you're lucky, you'll find you've used up less than half of the miles your CR-V has in it.

I would advocate a rebuild over a replacement any day. My reasons are as follows:
96-98 transmissions are not compatible with 99-01 vehicles (and vice versa), because the gear shifter changed. If you get a used tranny, you won't know if it came from the correct year range, because a lot of people don't know/care about that.

If you get it rebuilt, you know everything is good when you drive away. You have no such guarantee with a used tranny. You could get a used tranny on the brink of failure, and then you'll have wasted hundreds in labor.

Shops usually warranty their work for a period (1 or 2 years). That will give you peace of mind. Don't go to a shop that doesn't warranty their work.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
Do it. If you get it rebuilt by a good shop, with quality parts, and you take care of it after, you won't have to do it again. If you're lucky, you'll find you've used up less than half of the miles your CR-V has in it.

I would advocate a rebuild over a replacement any day. My reasons are as follows:
96-98 transmissions are not compatible with 99-01 vehicles (and vice versa), because the gear shifter changed. If you get a used tranny, you won't know if it came from the correct year range, because a lot of people don't know/care about that.

If you get it rebuilt, you know everything is good when you drive away. You have no such guarantee with a used tranny. You could get a used tranny on the brink of failure, and then you'll have wasted hundreds in labor.

Shops usually warranty their work for a period (1 or 2 years). That will give you peace of mind. Don't go to a shop that doesn't warranty their work.
Great advice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts