Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first Honda September 2015 after owning Toyota's for the last 15 years.

When going down a good hill today, my foot was off the gas, suddenly the rpms increase to 3000-3500. The engine whines and the vehicle feels as though it is being held back. The hill was pretty long, finally the rpms went down and the vehicle lunges forward and accelerates. At first I thought my big foot was pressing the gas petal along with the brake.
I have done that when I first bought the car, now I'm used to how close the petals are on the CRV.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is this normal with this new type of transmission?

2015 CRV EX
8840 miles, I drive a lot.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm going to assume the initial feeling was "Grade Logic" in which the CVT (acting like a conventional stepped gear transmission) 'shifted' in a lower ratio to keep the ground speed from increasing due to the slope. Essentially engine braking.

What happened afterwards? Perhaps it thought the speed was now under control, and it 'upshifted', releasing the engine braking?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fibber2, you may be right. I know nothing about cars, computer no problems.
I remember when I was younger putting the truck in a lower gear in winter to slow it from gaining to much speed going down a big grade. That was something my dad told me from his coal truck driving days here in PA.

Anyway car acted like I shifted into a lower gear.
Next time I am in that area I will take that hill and see if it happens again.

Searching google by putting in "Grade Logic" gave me more information.
Since I didn't know what the condition was called and typing "car engine rpm increase etc etc etc" into google doesnt help much haha.
Thanks all

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hockey........ you are on the right track.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have experienced this as well in my 2015. It's like it has hill descent braking (not listed as a feature). If you want to coast down a decline in the 25-35 mph range, it will use the engine to brake enough it seems like it will stop it completely. Blip the gas or brake and it will let you go.

I had a gen 1 CR-V and two Elements. I didn't experience anything like this with the 4 spd and 5 spd automatics.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It was an evident 'feature' on the 5 spd auto used in our 2002 Odyssey, and I've experienced it in several cars I've owned since. Steep declines will really trigger it. Sometimes I wish there was a way to turn it off, as it can be a bit destabilizing in some low traction (like snow/ice) situations. You suddenly get engine braking on the front wheels only, with the rears still freewheeling..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts