Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2012 CR-V EXL AWD in June 2012. after about a month I checked my fluid levels and the transmission dipstick level was at the lower hole. I followed the manual instructions. Then I checked it COLD...it read the same...then I checked it like the older Chevy's, etc..while running...it read the same. I now have 46,000 miles on it and plan to change the fluid (3x drain and refill) at 54,000...my next scheduled engine oil change as I will have it up on my garage lift. The trans. shifts as new. Does anyone else have this problem with their dipstick? I ask the mechanic at last year's inspection and he said, that was 'normal'. I added 9 ounces last August anyway and it still read the same. The manual doesn't even list when to change the trans. oil and what I've gathered from a few Honda sites is around 50,000 miles. After this years's inspection I noted on the mechanic's checklist that my transmission 'needs immediate attention' as well as other checks. I always do my own maintenance..oil/filter and rear differential so they have no record of it. I will stop over and talk with who inspected it next week.Any help/opinions? Thank you. Pochie:mad:

·
Registered
43 Posts
The transmissions on most Honda K series should be checked when hot, not cold.
I've owned 6 of these I4 engines over the years, and they've all been the same, maintenance wise.

Run the engine up to normal temps, then slowly shift through the gears, one by one, ending in park....this must be done on a level surface only.
Do not use anything but Honda OEM fluid.
And, it's possible you're not seeing the exact line of fluid if it's very clean.
The fluid change out is 3 qts. and to do a simple flush, you do what you're talking about...driving it a little, then draining 3 qts out...refilling...a total of 3 times.
So...
if your fluid is at the correct level...and it's shifting just fine, no noises, etc...then your transmission doesn't "need immediate attention"...what you need ...is a new mechanic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The manual doesn't even list when to change the trans. oil and what I've gathered from a few Honda sites is around 50,000 miles.
Take a look at Page 291 http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/0A1212/0A1212OM.pdf in your owner's manual!!! See the info concerning the Maintenance Minder™.

Maintenance Minder Sub Item #3 tells you when to change the Transmission Fluid. Actually you do not change the fluid, you just drain out something like 3 or 3 1/2 qts, and refill it with the same amount and then check the dipstick to top off if necessary. Usually this works out to something like every other motor oil change. Make sure you use Honda DW-1 ATF, or a proper equivalent ATF.

Do not use the old Honda Z1 ATF!!!

Considering that you have not done it in some 46,000 miles, maybe you should do a full ATF change like RICRV described in his above post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts