Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A totally flat battery, thanks to Cov 19, now gives rapid clicking sound on trickle charging
similar quick parking lights only . Amps reading on charger shows 6 or higher.
Honda manual connections followed carefully.
I have stopped this as I am afraid of damaging the electronics.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A trickle charger is ideally intended to maintain a battery charge state and bring it back to full charge. It is not intended for full charging from a dead state. With that said, I have the same situation with a dead battery. If you have the time, it will take about two days to bring the battery to full charge with the trickle charger light turning green. Don't attempt to start until the light on the TC turns green. If you don't want to wait, you will need a regular auto battery charger or a battery pack booster to get going.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Have restored a few lead acid batteries from a dead state (some measured volts) by first connecting to a known good battery (red to red +, black to black -) and then connecting the trickle charger to the good battery posts. Left it that way for a day or two and everything was fine. Both batteries continued to operate for abother couple years or more. If possible, ensure you have proper water (distilled only) level on all.

CTEK MUS chargers are in use weekly on all our Hondas. All of them work fine, my favorite is CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002

Here is a variation with details but I always remove batteries for this specific condition, not leaving them connected to car and power the car via OBD2 connection port to maintain ECU power (use any similar to JNCxxx device via OBD2 connector)

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
A totally flat battery, thanks to Cov 19, now gives rapid clicking sound on trickle charging
Yeah COVID shelter in place is going to kill a lot of batteries right now. I put smart chargers/maintainers on both our Hondas as soon as the shelter in place orders came here in my county since I knew they would only get driven maybe once every week or ten days and only for short trips to the grocery even then.

Sounds like you may have let the vehicle sit until the battery was fully depleted, or nearly so. Under those conditions, a vehicle can behave pretty weird until the voltage is back up above 11 vdc.

Depending on the age and quality of the batteries remaining life.. it may be toast and should just be replaced. But it is worth a try to recharge it and then test it to see if it is stable or not.

You did not tell us what model of "trickle charger" you are refering to.. but if it has a meter on it giving you an amp reading.. it does not sound like one of the new smart chargers/maintainers. In which case, as Carbuff2 indicated... best to remove the battery to charge it back up and test it before reinstalling.

For the record... the commonly available smart chargers will never damage your vehicle or battery. They have controller circuits in them that make them essentially bullet proof in this regard. They even have protection circuits in them to prevent damage if you hook up the clips reversed on your battery. They will do an initial bulk charge cycle up front to get the battery to ~90% and then do a slow conditioning charge to bring the battery to 100%, at which point they drop into a maintaining mode (where they monitor the battery and when it drops back down below 95% the repeat the conditioning charge cycle. They can do this indefinitely and putting one on your battery every month or two actually does a good job of conditioning the battery and you will get longer life from the battery as a result.

I personally have had great success with NOCO Genius chargers for years now. The current model I use is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W8KJH44/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which can even recharge a completely dead battery (0 vdc) while in your vehicle. But there are many good brands of smart chargers now days, and CTEK ones are also very popular and get good reviews.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If its been totally flat. I would buy a new battery.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Yup. My 15-month old Group 51R battery just died. I got the parts in to do the Group 24f upgrade using Odyssey OEM parts, and will be doing the install this week. I also got a NOCO Genius 5 smart battery tender, which will be installed and used from now on. I'm going with an AGM 24f. I will be doing a thread on it with pictures.

·
Registered
2010 Honda CR-V EX-L
7 Posts
I have a 2010 Honda CRV EXL. It was purchased new and still has the original battery in it.
It is very low mileage and sits for weeks on end. I've let it sit for more than a month multiple times.
There is no need to replace your dead battery - unless and until it refuses to hold a charge.
I use Schumacher chargers & trickle chargers. They have worked great for me.
Connect your battery charger (not the trickle charger) to the battery in your car and let it charge fully.
Then if you are not going to use the car for extended periods of time, connect the trickle/battery maintainer charger on the car. This approach has worked perfectly for me for a fair number of years.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Similarly, my 20 month old Touring was 100% dead after 2 weeks of no driving. I got it started with a booster and took it for an 80 mile highway drive which seemed to get it back to health. But since it was down to 20% oil life and my dealer was offering pickup and delivery service, I sent it in for a 1B and let them check the battery. Turned out it did fail the load test and they replaced it under warranty. So now, just to be sure, I put it on a trickle charger about every 4 days. today, it took 3 hours for the green light to come on, so it wasn't too low. So that's what I'll do until things return to normal.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If your charger shows 6 amps, it's NOT a trickle charger. Leaving the charger on with 6A output should recharge the standard CR-V battery by 8 hours at most. Every hour you charge it you're putting 6 amp-hour of charge into the battery (assuming the battery is good and is accepting a charge properly and not having a shorted cell). After 8 hours, that would be 48 amp-hours which is probably more than what the 51R battery is (today they rate by CCA rather than AH). A typical group 24 battery in the old days was about 50AH rating so I'm sure the 51R battery is less than that.

If your charger is an "automatic" charger, that is, it automatically tapers the charge down as the battery increases charge, then just leave it connected overnight. It should start fine in the morning, otherwise you have a bad battery. Even if it does start the next morning, take it to a shop to test the battery (unless you have a tester that reads CCA capacity of the battery). If it's below the rated CCA on the label, replace the battery.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX
49 Posts
I have been using a NOCO Smart Charger on my 2013 CRV since the shelter orders began. It does a great job of keeping the battery healthy by eliminating sulfation (sulfur build up on the lead plates) through a pulse mode that operates with the charge mode. I bought the NOCO Genius G1100 6V/12V 1.1 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer. It can restore a dead battery but it will take a few days.

I run a NOCO Genius G750 6V/12V .75 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer to keep my generator battery and my riding mower battery charged during the months of non-use.

·
Read Only
217 Posts
I have a 2010 Honda CRV EXL. It was purchased new and still has the original battery in it.
It is very low mileage and sits for weeks on end. I've let it sit for more than a month multiple times.
There is no need to replace your dead battery - unless and until it refuses to hold a charge.
I use Schumacher chargers & trickle chargers. They have worked great for me.
Connect your battery charger (not the trickle charger) to the battery in your car and let it charge fully.
Then if you are not going to use the car for extended periods of time, connect the trickle/battery maintainer charger on the car. This approach has worked perfectly for me for a fair number of years.
I used a battery tender for several years on my former Piaggio BV-500 motor scooter. I have a solar-powered battery tender I use on my riding mower I store in a shed that has no electricity. I agree with the advice to use a good battery tender if you will be parking your vehicle for extended periods of time. That being said, my wife didn't drive her 2018 CR-V for three weeks or more when I decided we should take her car to the grocery store on our weekly trip. The battery was just fine; no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts