Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

My son has a 1998 CR-V that has begun having starting issues. If the vehicle is stone cold (such as after sitting overnight) then it starts with no problem. If he drives somewhere (such as to school) and the car sits for several hours then it starts with no problem.

When it has problems is when he drives somewhere (long enough for the engine to reach normal operating temperature) and turns it off for a few minutes (such as at a gas station). Then the car does not want to start. It requires much "finessing" of the gas pedal with repeated attempts to start. Once the engine finally starts the idle is very rough and prone to dying. The accelerator needs to be held down a bit to keep the engine RPMs around 1,200 for about a minute to get the idle to smooth out.

Items I've considered changing (after searching the web) include the crankshaft position sensor ($115) and the throttle position sensor ($45).

Are there other items I should consider, such as the mass air flow sensor?

Thanks.
Ryan

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
Cylinder head temperature sensor? This would 'trick' the engine into using a cold-start routine when there is no need.

++++++++++++

It's also possible you have a leaky fuel injector. A treatment with Seafoam or BK44 wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
It requires much "finessing" of the gas pedal with repeated attempts to start.

That can be a bad habit, I never touch the gas pedal in my CRV, just wait until the check engine light(yellow) goes out. If that fails, use the OP's advise...........JMHO and good luck.
David g...........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Check the ignition coil, as they can get very weak when they get hotter.
When the CRV doesn't start, check for spark
Buffalo4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts